Murin family

  • Mary Murin
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hi,
      I am new to the group. My name is Mary Ellen and I am researching my husband's family-- Murin without much luck. Most are gone now, and the rest don't know anymore than I do. My Husband's grandfather was named Peter Murin; he was born around 1860-61 (there's a lot of conflicting information). He came to this country probably between 1880 and 1885 and settled in Bayonne, NJ, where he worked in an oil refinery. Sometime after 1910 he moved to Linden, NJ, where he died in 1923. We would like to know when he came to US and from where, and what port he left from. I assume he entered via NY, but I don't know. I hope someone can help us.
      Mary Ellen and George

    • Jody Gonda
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
        Have you tried looking in the FamilySearch Labs website?  There are a few Peter Murin's listed there.  One listing could be your Peter - was his wife's name Anna ?
        Here is the url :   http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#start

        Jody

        I am new to the group. My name is Mary Ellen and I am researching my husband's family-- Murin without much luck. Most are gone now, and the rest don't know anymore than I do. My Husband's grandfather was named Peter Murin; he was born around 1860-61 (there's a lot of conflicting information) . He came to this country probably between 1880 and 1885 and settled in Bayonne, NJ, where he worked in an oil refinery. Sometime after 1910 he moved to Linden, NJ, where he died in 1923. We would like to know when he came to US and from where, and what port he left from. I assume he entered via NY, but I don't know. I hope someone can help us.
        Mary Ellen and George

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
          hi Mary - welcome! Do you know where your Murin family came from in Slovakia?

          have 15 persons listing Murin as an ancestral surname in our Slovak Pride data base - if you would like to contact the listers e mail me directly at helenezx@...

          helene
          helenezx@...

          I am new to the group. My name is Mary Ellen and I am researching my husband's family-- Murin without much luck. Most are gone now, and the rest don't know anymore than I do. My Husband's grandfather was named Peter Murin; he was born around 1860-61 (there's a lot of conflicting information) . He came to this country probably between 1880 and 1885 and settled in Bayonne, NJ, where he worked in an oil refinery. Sometime after 1910 he moved to Linden, NJ, where he died in 1923. We would like to know when he came to US and from where, and what port he left from. I assume he entered via NY, but I don't know. I hope someone can help us.
          Mary Ellen and George

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
            Mary Ellen,
            Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
            If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
            I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together 1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
            The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from where.

            I am new to the group. My name is Mary Ellen and I am researching my husband's family-- Murin without much luck. Most are gone now, and the rest don't know anymore than I do. My Husband's grandfather was named Peter Murin; he was born around 1860-61 (there's a lot of conflicting information). He came to this country probably between 1880 and 1885 and settled in Bayonne, NJ, where he worked in an oil refinery. Sometime after 1910 he moved to Linden, NJ, where he died in 1923. We would like to know when he came to US and from where, and what port he left from. I assume he entered via NY, but I don't know. I hope someone can help us.
            Mary Ellen and George

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
              Mary Ellen,
              & Michael

              Castle Garden has its own web site with immigration manifests and it is free. just google "castle garden" and you'll find it. He may not have entered through castle garden. The other ports of entry, such as Baltimore, are only available through Ancestry.com.

              Curt B.

              > Mary Ellen,
              > Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
              > If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
              > I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together 1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
              > The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from where.

            • Julie & Kevin
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
                Hi
                Here is the site for Castle Garden ..... http://www.castlegarden.org/
                at the top is the word 'SEARCH' open it & search. It is a great site..
                Good luck,
                Julie B in NC

                yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Mary Ellen,
                > Welcome to the group. Hope we can help you.
                > If Peter Murin came to the USA in the 1880's he would have come through
                Castle Gardens, the Ellis Island of its day. Those records are available at
                Ancestry.com, but you have to join. A month's membership is not too much.
                > I entered Murin into the 1995 Slovak Census database in hopes of giving
                you some idea where the name is found. Slovak uses dialect marks, because of
                that Murin has three spellings using those and one with none. All together
                1409 listings for Murin in 380 locations in 1995.
                > The Ship's Manifest will answer most of your questions about when and from
                where.

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Thanks Curt.
                  Unfortunately the only Murin listed from Hungary came in the 1890's.