Re: [S-R] Petugac name

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
      The online Slovak record search can be done by going to: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home. When the window opens click on Browse our record collection. Next to Browse Collection pull down Europe and click on that, the click on Browse Collection. On the next page scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Slovakia Place Names) 1592-1952. You can also click on (Hungarian Place Names). Then you have four Christian denominations and a Jewish one to click on. A list of towns will come up. Click on the town records you want to see. You then click on the type of records you want to see. On the record page is box with arrows to move your view. Or put in a page number and hit Enter to be taken there. On the screen is an enlargement slide in the lower right. At the top a menu of things you can do.
      Unfortunately, Gemerska Poloma (Vel'ka Poloma) is not in the Presov Books.
      If you go to a Mormon Church Family History Center you can order the films and view them there.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
        There is something bothersome about the name PETUGAC. Are you quite certain
        about the spelling? Where did you get the name from? Did you know your
        grandmother? Did she say the name herself? What language did she speak? Or
        did you read it off a document somewhere? I suspect there is a good chance
        that it is a misreading.

        I found references to only two names that are even close: Bela PETURAK,
        immigrated 1892 to Pennsylvania.

        Ancestry.com lists brothers (twins?) Anton and Mihaly PETUGK immigrating in
        1906 from Jablonky. This was in old Arva county and is now in Poland.
        However, if you look at the manifest, the name looks far more like PETRYK.
        This is quite a common name, especially from Galicia (Poland).

        If you have this place name written on a document, we might be able to help
        you figure it out.

        Janet

      • deshauncarrieson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
          Hi. Yes, I knew my gramma my whole life. She spoke only English. Her parents and siblings went back and forth to the former Czechoslovakia when the children were small. I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. My grandmother only ever knew she was Slovak which is why I'm so curious about the maiden names side. What small amount I know is that the area changed names and I'm confused about the Hungarian border situation.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
            Priezvisko PETERGÁC sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 79×, celkový pocet lokalít: 18, v lokalitách: 79 listings in 18 locations.

            GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 2×; In 1995 2 men with that name were in Gemerska Poloma.

            PETERGÁCOVÁ GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 4×; And 4 women with that name.

            From the online telephone directory:

            Petergác Pavol Adresa
            Sládkovicova 632, Gemerská Poloma

            There were 32 listing for Petegac. Only one in Gemerska Poloma. That doesn't mean there are not others living there. It could be worth the effort to write Pavol.

            What are you confused about concerning the Hungarian border? Gemerska Poloma is some distance from it.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
              >>> I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. <<<

              Petergac(ova) appears in current Slovak phone listings. Petugac was a very red herring.
            • John
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                >>> It was my grandmother's mother's maiden name. She married a Smrecansky. I know they were in Velka Poloma at some point because I have a copy of her Christening record but I cant read the rest of it to find out more info. Very disheartening. <<<

                The "Christening record" has the correct family name, religion and village name. That's all you need in order to research the available church records at your nearest LDS Family History Center.

                Why is this disheartening? I don't get it.
              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                  That made a HUGE difference.

                  The Slovak Phone directory shows 32 entries for Petergac, many of them in
                  the area of Roznava. One of them (Pavol) even lives in Gemerska Poloma
                  (Velka Poloma).

                  About a mile east of Gemerska Poloma is the village of Betliar. In 1905
                  Istvan (i.e., Steven) Petergas immigrated from Betlér (same place, different
                  spelling) to his cousin, (looks like Guszti (Gusztav) Schohniszky) in
                  Lorain, Ohio. I was not able to trace Istvan/Steven in later years. He may
                  have changed his name or returned home.

                  The origin of the name is Croatian, but any migration from Croatia could
                  have been hundreds of years earlier, most probably from fleeing the Turks
                  during the Ottoman Empire. It is not a common name in Slovakia, which makes
                  it more likely that they are related in one degree or another.

                  The question of Hungary and Slovakia is not one of changing borders but that
                  a part of the large country of Hungary was broken off to form the new
                  country of Slovakia following WWI. Therefore, before WWI, the village was
                  correctly in Hungary. Afterwards it was in Slovakia, then Czechoslovakia,
                  and finally Slovakia again. The name was spelled somewhat differently under
                  each regime. Its Hungarian name was Nagy-Veszveres.

                  Janet

                  _____