Petugac name

  • deshaunlorena
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 29, 2009
      Does anyone know if Petugac was a traditional Slovak name or Hungarian? My grandmother never knew and I'm hoping it will help in locating ancestors areas of residence.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 29, 2009
        I entered Petugac into the 1995 Slovak Census database. No one was listed by the spelling. And no alternative spelling was given.
        Such a result seems to point to it not being a Slovak name, but it is not 100% conclusive.
        I entered a google search on Petugac. There were on two hits. It was a word in a language I've not seen before.

      • deshauncarrieson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 29, 2009
          Thank you. It was my grandmother's mother's maiden name. She married a Smrecansky. I know they were in Velka Poloma at some point because I have a copy of her Christening record but I cant read the rest of it to find out more info. Very disheartening.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 29, 2009
            If you can scan the document and send it to S-R and post it in Files someone may be able to read it.
            Velká Poloma: 1773 Nagy-Veszverés, Groß-Poloma, Welka Poloma, 1786 Nagy-Weszwerésch, Welká Poluma [!], 1808 Nagy-Veszverés, Welká Poloma, 1863-1873, 1888-1913 Nagyveszverés, 1877-1882 Nagyveszveres, 1920-1958 Velká Poloma Gemerská Poloma RV/KI gemer. 1958 zlúc. o. Malá Poloma a Velká Poloma do o. Gemerská Poloma.
            1958- Gemerská Poloma
            In 1958 Vel'ka Poloma was renamed Gemerska Poloma. Prior to that it was know as both Vel'ka Poloma and Mala Poloma.

            Priezvisko SMRECANSKÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 15×, celkový pocet lokalít: 6, v lokalitách: This tells you only 15 listings of this name were found in 1995 in 6 locations.
            TRENCÍN, okr. TRENCÍN - 6×;
            STARÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA - 3×;
            DUBNICA NAD VÁHOM, okr. POVAZSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 ILAVA) - 2×;
            OSTRÝ GRÚN, okr. ZIAR NAD HRONOM (od r. 1996 ZARNOVICA) - 2×;
            BANSKÁ STIAVNICA, okr. ZIAR NAD HRONOM (od r. 1996 BANSKÁ STIAVNICA) - 1×;
            NOVÁ DUBNICA, okr. POVAZSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 ILAVA) - 1×;

            The first name is the town name or part of town if obec is used. the okr is the name of the district the town is found in. The number is how many by that name were found in the town.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2009
              The Roman Catholic Records of Vel'ka Poloma are on two rolls of film. FHL INTL Film 2006430 Item 5 and 2006431 Item 1-4.
              If you are lucky they might be online now or coming very soon.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                Thank you. I'm sorry to be bothersome but what website would that be available on?

                From: Michael Mojher

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Sent: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 04:03:10 +0000 (UTC)

                From: deshaunlorena

                Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:15 PM

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                  The online Slovak record search can be done by going to: http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home. When the window opens click on Browse our record collection. Next to Browse Collection pull down Europe and click on that, the click on Browse Collection. On the next page scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Slovakia Place Names) 1592-1952. You can also click on (Hungarian Place Names). Then you have four Christian denominations and a Jewish one to click on. A list of towns will come up. Click on the town records you want to see. You then click on the type of records you want to see. On the record page is box with arrows to move your view. Or put in a page number and hit Enter to be taken there. On the screen is an enlargement slide in the lower right. At the top a menu of things you can do.
                  Unfortunately, Gemerska Poloma (Vel'ka Poloma) is not in the Presov Books.
                  If you go to a Mormon Church Family History Center you can order the films and view them there.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                    There is something bothersome about the name PETUGAC. Are you quite certain
                    about the spelling? Where did you get the name from? Did you know your
                    grandmother? Did she say the name herself? What language did she speak? Or
                    did you read it off a document somewhere? I suspect there is a good chance
                    that it is a misreading.

                    I found references to only two names that are even close: Bela PETURAK,
                    immigrated 1892 to Pennsylvania.

                    Ancestry.com lists brothers (twins?) Anton and Mihaly PETUGK immigrating in
                    1906 from Jablonky. This was in old Arva county and is now in Poland.
                    However, if you look at the manifest, the name looks far more like PETRYK.
                    This is quite a common name, especially from Galicia (Poland).

                    If you have this place name written on a document, we might be able to help
                    you figure it out.

                    Janet

                  • deshauncarrieson@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Hi. Yes, I knew my gramma my whole life. She spoke only English. Her parents and siblings went back and forth to the former Czechoslovakia when the children were small. I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. My grandmother only ever knew she was Slovak which is why I'm so curious about the maiden names side. What small amount I know is that the area changed names and I'm confused about the Hungarian border situation.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                        Priezvisko PETERGÁC sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 79×, celkový pocet lokalít: 18, v lokalitách: 79 listings in 18 locations.

                        GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 2×; In 1995 2 men with that name were in Gemerska Poloma.

                        PETERGÁCOVÁ GEMERSKÁ POLOMA, okr. ROZNAVA - 4×; And 4 women with that name.

                        From the online telephone directory:

                        Petergác Pavol Adresa
                        Sládkovicova 632, Gemerská Poloma

                        There were 32 listing for Petegac. Only one in Gemerska Poloma. That doesn't mean there are not others living there. It could be worth the effort to write Pavol.

                        What are you confused about concerning the Hungarian border? Gemerska Poloma is some distance from it.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                          >>> I have her Roman Catholic Christening record from Vel'ka Poloma. The name is actually spelled "Petergac" as her mother's maiden name. She was married to a Smrecansky. <<<

                          Petergac(ova) appears in current Slovak phone listings. Petugac was a very red herring.
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                            >>> It was my grandmother's mother's maiden name. She married a Smrecansky. I know they were in Velka Poloma at some point because I have a copy of her Christening record but I cant read the rest of it to find out more info. Very disheartening. <<<

                            The "Christening record" has the correct family name, religion and village name. That's all you need in order to research the available church records at your nearest LDS Family History Center.

                            Why is this disheartening? I don't get it.
                          • Janet Kozlay
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 30, 2009
                              That made a HUGE difference.

                              The Slovak Phone directory shows 32 entries for Petergac, many of them in
                              the area of Roznava. One of them (Pavol) even lives in Gemerska Poloma
                              (Velka Poloma).

                              About a mile east of Gemerska Poloma is the village of Betliar. In 1905
                              Istvan (i.e., Steven) Petergas immigrated from Betlér (same place, different
                              spelling) to his cousin, (looks like Guszti (Gusztav) Schohniszky) in
                              Lorain, Ohio. I was not able to trace Istvan/Steven in later years. He may
                              have changed his name or returned home.

                              The origin of the name is Croatian, but any migration from Croatia could
                              have been hundreds of years earlier, most probably from fleeing the Turks
                              during the Ottoman Empire. It is not a common name in Slovakia, which makes
                              it more likely that they are related in one degree or another.

                              The question of Hungary and Slovakia is not one of changing borders but that
                              a part of the large country of Hungary was broken off to form the new
                              country of Slovakia following WWI. Therefore, before WWI, the village was
                              correctly in Hungary. Afterwards it was in Slovakia, then Czechoslovakia,
                              and finally Slovakia again. The name was spelled somewhat differently under
                              each regime. Its Hungarian name was Nagy-Veszveres.

                              Janet

                              _____