Re: Help with translation

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 48 , Sep 16, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
      > Hello everyone!
      >
      > I have my grandfather's working book from the "old country". Pages
      are
      > missing, crumbling, but there are a lot of notations in what I
      think
      is
      > Slovak. The following notation I believe is about my
      greatgrandfather, and I
      > was wondering if someone could help me by trying to translate it.
      am not
      > sure if the spelling is correct, as the handwritting is extremely
      difficult
      > to read, probably some letters are missing.
      >
      > Petrik János
      > Vasöntö segéd
      > Clhabt 1897 December 25 én Délelotte 1/4 Gorakon (or Gorakor)
      > Femetéik 97. Dec. 27 én 1/22
      >
      > Thanks for any help.

      magyarul
      Hungarian, not Slovak

      (in Hungarian, the surname is listed first)

      János Petrik
      John Petrik

      Vasönto" segéd

      iron casting assistant

      z^elezolejár (Sv), probably he was a iron foundry worker.

      1897 December 25 én Délelo"tt 1/4 Gorkon
      <= on in the morning ?
      Fémetéik 97 Dec. 27 én 1/22
      * <= on

      Féme = metal
      * (foundry) caster, quencher,smelter, entruder ?
    • June McKee
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 4 6:29 AM
        all right already! lets get back to what this site is for!