Re: [S-R] Transcription errors and LSD records on line

  • jenna-m
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2009
      Good point about who does the transcriptions, Julie. In  a very different context than Slovak World, I was working with a group of students last week who volunteered time to type up transcriptions of oral history interviews. LOTS of mistakes not so much for lack of caring so much as lack of local knowledge.  Many peoples and street names for instance were mispelled as the students only wrote down what they heard, and what they heard was fitted into what they thought they knew or heard. People who then actually live in the neighborhoods volunteer their time to edit the transciptions as they do care about the place they live in, their ancestors, people who settled into and shaped the neighborhood, etc.
      May be similar to Ellis Island where although paid for their efforts, they often typed what they heard. This doesn't really address the complexity of name changes in processes of americanization of names or other more recent posts of adopting different surnames.

      Jenna