Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2009
      Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines

      This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we us to keep the
      discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.

      . Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes
      them "jump out" to others.

      . Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message
      subject.

      . Create a new message subject to keep your question focused.
      "Tagging onto" an existing message topic is a sure way to get lost.

      . We stick to genealogy topics only. The Yahoo group "Slovak World"
      is a great place to discuss current topics, and other interests.

      . Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the
      bottom of each posted message.

      . We are primarily a mail-list, but have a web site with other useful
      features. You must have Yahoo ID to use its full features such as posting
      files and photos. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS

      o Search - Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
      o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for
      group discussion.
      o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to
      include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of
      interest with other handwriting on the page.

      . Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information.
      While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone
      to learn!

      . Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem.
      While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member
      and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

      Thanks,
      Your Moderators
    • billski
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
        This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we us to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.

        • Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
        • Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.
        • Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Tagging onto" ("hijacking") an existing message with a new topic is a sure way to get lost.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2011
          Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines

          This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.

          * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.

          * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.

          * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.

          o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.