Moravitz, Hungary

  • Bruce Bagin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11 1:03 PM
      I have a friend Renata who works in my favorite luncheon place and is a
      trained chemist from Slovakia. She tells me that there is a moravitz
      (phonetic) in the Czwch Republic as well as in Slovakia. Can anyone confirm
      this? She says that the correct spelling is moravice. I can't find it in
      the Atlas and wonder whether what she tells me is correct. My grandmother
      was from Moravitz [that's what the immigration clerk wrote down in 1914, in
      Milwaukee wisconsin] Hungary.

      Vilo tells me that Moravitz is in Moravia. It's hard to find a moving
      target.

      Many thanks to all

      Bruce Bagin
      312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
      Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
      412-281-1110
      FAX 412-281-8481
      email bagin@...

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12 4:25 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Bruce Bagin" <bbagin@h...> wrote:
        > I have a friend Renata who works in my favorite luncheon place and
        is a
        > trained chemist from Slovakia. She tells me that there is a
        moravitz
        > (phonetic) in the Czwch Republic as well as in Slovakia. Can
        anyone
        confirm
        > this? She says that the correct spelling is moravice. I can't
        find
        it in
        > the Atlas and wonder whether what she tells me is correct. My
        grandmother
        > was from Moravitz [that's what the immigration clerk wrote down in
        1914, in
        > Milwaukee wisconsin] Hungary.
        >
        > Vilo tells me that Moravitz is in Moravia. It's hard to find a
        moving
        > target.
        >
        > Many thanks to all

        There are 3 Moravice located in the Czech Republic.

        Offically one Moravice (Czech) = Morawitz (G)
        located 145 miles east of Praha and 11 miles SW of Opava (Troppau),
        Czech Republic.

        The Czech Morawitz/Moravice would not have been located in Hungary.

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
        It was an Austrian Kröneland.

        Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
        Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen
        (Bohemia).
        Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
        Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a
        part of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
        (Austrian-Silesia).

        Hungarian, Czech, and Slovak use letter 'w' only in foreign words.
        The letter 'v' is pron. w in Czech and Slovak.
        In German, the letter 'w' is pron. v and the letter 'v' is pron.
        f,v.

        Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
        Austrian Empire.

        What was the Slovak town/village that was the phonetic equivalent
        of Moravitz ?
        8200 towns and places are listed under Slovakia and I find no
        equivalent place name ?

        There are 2 Moravany located in Slovakia.

        There is also a Morawitz (G) Móricföld (H), once located in the
        Kingdom of Hungary and now part of Romania.
        But since föld means 'earth' in Hungarian and would probably
        transliterate to 'feld' in German, doubt it could be your place
        name.