Saksa Family - Kellemes

  • PHILBAER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2009
      Following up to the earlier exchanges about the Saksa family and town names, I want to mention that I am currently reviewing the LDS films 1792926 - 1792929? which are church records from the Presov area (Nizni Sebes, Kelemes, Fintic, Kerestve, Podhradik, and Vysni Sebes). These generally cover the years 1809 thru 1895 for births, marriages, and some deaths. I am researching my direct ancestors with family name of Medvecz, but also the names Jakubek and Szedlak. If I see a Saksa /Szaksza I'll take a digital photo.? (For mjmurph99@...?)

      Philip Baer

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2009
        Medvecz . . .

        In my community (in Montana) lives a Medvec family. The surname was once spelled Medvecz.

        Rick

        Following up to the earlier exchanges about the Saksa family and town names, I want to mention that I am currently reviewing the LDS films 1792926 - 1792929? which are church records from the Presov area (Nizni Sebes, Kelemes, Fintic, Kerestve, Podhradik, and Vysni Sebes). These generally cover the years 1809 thru 1895 for births, marriages, and some deaths. I am researching my direct ancestors with family name of Medvecz, but also the names Jakubek and Szedlak. If I see a Saksa /Szaksza I'll take a digital photo.? (For mjmurph99@...?)

        Philip Baer

      • marilyn murphy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 17, 2009
          Phil
          thank you, that would be most appreciated.
          marilyn

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 17, 2009
            The surname SAKSA means "Saxon" in Slovak. The SAKSA surname is among the
            godparents of some ancestors of mine in the Spis region, where it was a
            major Saxon area in the early middle ages, and was about 1/3 German until
            World War II. The adjacent Saris region, from which my ancestors also lived,
            had a number of villages that were German in origin, such as BARDEJOV.

            Best regards,

            David

          • christine mackara
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2009
              Hi Philip,

              If you get a chance, while looking at the films near Presov, could you keep an eye open for the name MAKARA and DOJCSAK (DOHäZSAK) ?
              I am always looking for Makara and what I think is the great grandfathers mother's name Dojsak or Dohäzsak. Joannes Makara lived later, 1840's , in Presov.
              I would really appreciate it.
              Thank you, Christine