Re: [S-R] Saska family & town names

  • marilyn murphy
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
      Janet - THANK YOU!   what is your resource?

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
        I think the place name "Kelemmas" was actually Kelemes just East side of Presov. Today it is L'ubotice. I also have ancestors from Kelemes. As you said, Brezovica is in Presov?district, but?Northwest of the city of Presov. I also have relatives from Brezovica with the family name of Jasko.

        Philip Baer

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
          Marilyn, I use a variety of sources to identify names that have been
          garbled. Chief among them are:

          1. Radix-both the 1913 Gazetteer (http://www.bogardi.com/gen), which permits
          searching on the basis of only a few letters in a name, and Radix Forum
          (http://www.radixforum.com <http://www.radixforum.com/> ), which allows you
          to search all villages in a particular county (megye), e.g. Saros.

          2. Place Search in the FHL Catalog. If you use the county (e.g., Saros,
          Hungary) as your place search, you can get a listing of all villages for
          which there are records in that county.

          Not all of these place names appear in the FHL catalog, nor even on the old
          map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg). In those cases, I MAY
          be able to identify where to look for church records. If so, I will get back
          to you.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
            >>> what is your resource? <<<

            I use a couple of tricks to find village names based upon partial spelling.

            1) Tarkulich's site has the villages from the 1828 Hungarian Census with the accents stripped out for easy searching using part of the name. The villages are already sorted by county (megye), making the search more focussed.

            2) The LDS site (for church records) accepts partial village names. It is fast and easy and if you get a "hit" you know both old and new names.
          • christine mackara
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
              Hi Marilyn Murphy,

              I have the film # 1793520 on permanent loan. It covers the towns of Raznany, Peklin, Salgo. But I think , that there are also entries about Ostravany. It's difficult to make out, because of the type of writing and I think it is abreviated. But it seems to me, to be Ostrovany. The years are 1780-1852 and 1853-1856 for Baptism. RC Church Records. Do you have an approximate date ?
              At this time I have difficulty getting to the FHC, because I have to be with my husband,who is ill, constantly, but I will keep my eyes out for your SAKSA/SZAKSZA name, when I get to Cherry Hill, NJ.
              Christine

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                Marilyn,

                A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                under Raznany.)

                Janet

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Marilyn,

                  There are a couple of entries for SAKSA in the Slovak phone directory
                  (http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/?co=st_zoznam_en) in your identified villages:

                  Jozef Saksa, Torysa

                  Anton Saksa, Raznany

                  Gabriela Saksova, Raznany

                  Saksa is not that common a name; they must be cousins of one degree or
                  another.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                    hi Marilyn - one of my best photos was taken in Raznany in 1976 - a young woman with a bridle headdress - i could scan for you - the back view was in our book treasures of slovakia.

                    helene

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                      oops - what a goof - i meant to type bridal headdress -

                      helene

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                        Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                        Second, Cisarik's site
                        http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                        will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                        For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                        OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín, 1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                        1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany, 1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                        Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did that for me.

                        Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                        Carolyn

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                        > Marilyn,
                        >

                        > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                        > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                        > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                        > under Raznany.)
                        >

                        > Janet

                      • Janet Kozlay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                          Thanks for the laugh, Helene. I was picturing a horse!

                          Janet

                          _____

                          --- On Thu, 9/17/09, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.

                        • meachamms@bellsouth.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                            I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing. Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                            Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                            Vagy Domasa

                            Thanks

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                              Dear meachamms,

                              Please start a new email with your village names in the Subject of the
                              message, so people won't look at your question for information about
                              Ostravany.
                              Thanks,

                              Bill

                              I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing.
                              Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                              Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                              Vagy Domasa

                              Thanks

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

                              > Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them
                              first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                              > Second, Cisarik's site
                              > http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                              > will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                              > For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                              > OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro
                              Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín,
                              1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                              > 1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany,
                              1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                              > Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did
                              that for me.

                              > Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                              > Carolyn
                              >

                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Marilyn,
                              > >

                              > > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                              > > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with
                              Nyarsardo,
                              > > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                              > > under Raznany.)
                              > >

                              > > Janet

                            • Janet Kozlay
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                I think your Nizne Matasari is actually Nizne Matiasovce, now Liptovske
                                Matiasovce. In old Lipto county, its Hungarian name was Also-Matyasocz.
                                (Nizne and Also mean “lower” in Slovak and Hungarian.) If you look on a map
                                of Slovakia, you will find the villages of Nizne Liptovske Matiasovce,
                                Liptovske Matiasovce, and Vysne (“upper”) Liptovske Matiasovce lined up in a
                                row east of Ruzomberok, west of Liptovsky Mikulas.

                                LDS has Roman Catholic church records for this village available through
                                your local Family History Center.

                                Janet

                                _____