RE: [S-R] Saska family & town names

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
      All of these are villages in old Saros. Below are their old names and their
      present SLOVAK NAMES:

      Ostrovjani = Ostrovany = OSTROVANY

      Kelemmas = Kellemes = L'UBOTICE

      Torisa = Torysa = TORYSA

      Krijani = Krivany = KRIVANY

      Musurov = Mosurov = MOSUROV

      Hamborg = Hambor or Hamborg = HAMBOREK or BREZOVICKA

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
        Janet - THANK YOU!   what is your resource?

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
          I think the place name "Kelemmas" was actually Kelemes just East side of Presov. Today it is L'ubotice. I also have ancestors from Kelemes. As you said, Brezovica is in Presov?district, but?Northwest of the city of Presov. I also have relatives from Brezovica with the family name of Jasko.

          Philip Baer

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
            Marilyn, I use a variety of sources to identify names that have been
            garbled. Chief among them are:

            1. Radix-both the 1913 Gazetteer (http://www.bogardi.com/gen), which permits
            searching on the basis of only a few letters in a name, and Radix Forum
            (http://www.radixforum.com <http://www.radixforum.com/> ), which allows you
            to search all villages in a particular county (megye), e.g. Saros.

            2. Place Search in the FHL Catalog. If you use the county (e.g., Saros,
            Hungary) as your place search, you can get a listing of all villages for
            which there are records in that county.

            Not all of these place names appear in the FHL catalog, nor even on the old
            map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg). In those cases, I MAY
            be able to identify where to look for church records. If so, I will get back
            to you.

            Janet

            _____

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
              >>> what is your resource? <<<

              I use a couple of tricks to find village names based upon partial spelling.

              1) Tarkulich's site has the villages from the 1828 Hungarian Census with the accents stripped out for easy searching using part of the name. The villages are already sorted by county (megye), making the search more focussed.

              2) The LDS site (for church records) accepts partial village names. It is fast and easy and if you get a "hit" you know both old and new names.
            • christine mackara
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                Hi Marilyn Murphy,

                I have the film # 1793520 on permanent loan. It covers the towns of Raznany, Peklin, Salgo. But I think , that there are also entries about Ostravany. It's difficult to make out, because of the type of writing and I think it is abreviated. But it seems to me, to be Ostrovany. The years are 1780-1852 and 1853-1856 for Baptism. RC Church Records. Do you have an approximate date ?
                At this time I have difficulty getting to the FHC, because I have to be with my husband,who is ill, constantly, but I will keep my eyes out for your SAKSA/SZAKSZA name, when I get to Cherry Hill, NJ.
                Christine

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Marilyn,

                  A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                  Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                  now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                  under Raznany.)

                  Janet

                • Janet Kozlay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                    Marilyn,

                    There are a couple of entries for SAKSA in the Slovak phone directory
                    (http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/?co=st_zoznam_en) in your identified villages:

                    Jozef Saksa, Torysa

                    Anton Saksa, Raznany

                    Gabriela Saksova, Raznany

                    Saksa is not that common a name; they must be cousins of one degree or
                    another.

                    Janet

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                      hi Marilyn - one of my best photos was taken in Raznany in 1976 - a young woman with a bridle headdress - i could scan for you - the back view was in our book treasures of slovakia.

                      helene

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                        oops - what a goof - i meant to type bridal headdress -

                        helene

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                          Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                          Second, Cisarik's site
                          http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                          will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                          For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                          OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín, 1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                          1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany, 1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                          Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did that for me.

                          Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                          Carolyn

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                          > Marilyn,
                          >

                          > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                          > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                          > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                          > under Raznany.)
                          >

                          > Janet

                        • Janet Kozlay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                            Thanks for the laugh, Helene. I was picturing a horse!

                            Janet

                            _____

                            --- On Thu, 9/17/09, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.

                          • meachamms@bellsouth.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                              I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing. Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                              Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                              Vagy Domasa

                              Thanks

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                Dear meachamms,

                                Please start a new email with your village names in the Subject of the
                                message, so people won't look at your question for information about
                                Ostravany.
                                Thanks,

                                Bill

                                I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing.
                                Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                                Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                                Vagy Domasa

                                Thanks

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

                                > Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them
                                first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                                > Second, Cisarik's site
                                > http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                                > will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                                > For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                                > OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro
                                Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín,
                                1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                                > 1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany,
                                1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                                > Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did
                                that for me.

                                > Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                                > Carolyn
                                >

                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Marilyn,
                                > >

                                > > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                                > > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with
                                Nyarsardo,
                                > > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                                > > under Raznany.)
                                > >

                                > > Janet

                              • Janet Kozlay
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                  I think your Nizne Matasari is actually Nizne Matiasovce, now Liptovske
                                  Matiasovce. In old Lipto county, its Hungarian name was Also-Matyasocz.
                                  (Nizne and Also mean “lower” in Slovak and Hungarian.) If you look on a map
                                  of Slovakia, you will find the villages of Nizne Liptovske Matiasovce,
                                  Liptovske Matiasovce, and Vysne (“upper”) Liptovske Matiasovce lined up in a
                                  row east of Ruzomberok, west of Liptovsky Mikulas.

                                  LDS has Roman Catholic church records for this village available through
                                  your local Family History Center.

                                  Janet

                                  _____