Saska family & town names

  • mjmurph99
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
      A cousin was cleaning out some old files recently and came across a hand-written note from her grandfather which gives some family names and locations. The village names appear to be spelled phonetically for the most part, some of the names i know, but others I cannot quite decipher what the correct spelling might. The list is below - any thoughts most welcome -

      Mary Saksa/Szaksza born in Ostrovjani, lived in Kelemmas then Brezovica (this one I know, I have a ledvak line from Brezovica)
      Juraj Saksa/SZaksza born in Torisa (this would be torysou)
      also listed is Suzanna Andzelske, Julia Hudy & Katharina Liska
      the note lists the "state of Saris, with a capitol of Preshof" (Presov)
      also noted is a village of Krijani, Musurov and Hamborg
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
        All of these are villages in old Saros. Below are their old names and their
        present SLOVAK NAMES:

        Ostrovjani = Ostrovany = OSTROVANY

        Kelemmas = Kellemes = L'UBOTICE

        Torisa = Torysa = TORYSA

        Krijani = Krivany = KRIVANY

        Musurov = Mosurov = MOSUROV

        Hamborg = Hambor or Hamborg = HAMBOREK or BREZOVICKA

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
          Janet - THANK YOU!   what is your resource?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 16, 2009
            I think the place name "Kelemmas" was actually Kelemes just East side of Presov. Today it is L'ubotice. I also have ancestors from Kelemes. As you said, Brezovica is in Presov?district, but?Northwest of the city of Presov. I also have relatives from Brezovica with the family name of Jasko.

            Philip Baer

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
              Marilyn, I use a variety of sources to identify names that have been
              garbled. Chief among them are:

              1. Radix-both the 1913 Gazetteer (http://www.bogardi.com/gen), which permits
              searching on the basis of only a few letters in a name, and Radix Forum
              (http://www.radixforum.com <http://www.radixforum.com/> ), which allows you
              to search all villages in a particular county (megye), e.g. Saros.

              2. Place Search in the FHL Catalog. If you use the county (e.g., Saros,
              Hungary) as your place search, you can get a listing of all villages for
              which there are records in that county.

              Not all of these place names appear in the FHL catalog, nor even on the old
              map (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg). In those cases, I MAY
              be able to identify where to look for church records. If so, I will get back
              to you.

              Janet

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                >>> what is your resource? <<<

                I use a couple of tricks to find village names based upon partial spelling.

                1) Tarkulich's site has the villages from the 1828 Hungarian Census with the accents stripped out for easy searching using part of the name. The villages are already sorted by county (megye), making the search more focussed.

                2) The LDS site (for church records) accepts partial village names. It is fast and easy and if you get a "hit" you know both old and new names.
              • christine mackara
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Hi Marilyn Murphy,

                  I have the film # 1793520 on permanent loan. It covers the towns of Raznany, Peklin, Salgo. But I think , that there are also entries about Ostravany. It's difficult to make out, because of the type of writing and I think it is abreviated. But it seems to me, to be Ostrovany. The years are 1780-1852 and 1853-1856 for Baptism. RC Church Records. Do you have an approximate date ?
                  At this time I have difficulty getting to the FHC, because I have to be with my husband,who is ill, constantly, but I will keep my eyes out for your SAKSA/SZAKSZA name, when I get to Cherry Hill, NJ.
                  Christine

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                    Marilyn,

                    A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                    Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                    now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                    under Raznany.)

                    Janet

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                      Marilyn,

                      There are a couple of entries for SAKSA in the Slovak phone directory
                      (http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/?co=st_zoznam_en) in your identified villages:

                      Jozef Saksa, Torysa

                      Anton Saksa, Raznany

                      Gabriela Saksova, Raznany

                      Saksa is not that common a name; they must be cousins of one degree or
                      another.

                      Janet

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                        hi Marilyn - one of my best photos was taken in Raznany in 1976 - a young woman with a bridle headdress - i could scan for you - the back view was in our book treasures of slovakia.

                        helene

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                          oops - what a goof - i meant to type bridal headdress -

                          helene

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                            Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                            Second, Cisarik's site
                            http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                            will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                            For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                            OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín, 1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                            1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany, 1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                            Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did that for me.

                            Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                            Carolyn

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                            > Marilyn,
                            >

                            > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                            > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with Nyarsardo,
                            > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                            > under Raznany.)
                            >

                            > Janet

                          • Janet Kozlay
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                              Thanks for the laugh, Helene. I was picturing a horse!

                              Janet

                              _____

                              --- On Thu, 9/17/09, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@yahoo.

                            • meachamms@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing. Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                                Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                                Vagy Domasa

                                Thanks

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                  Dear meachamms,

                                  Please start a new email with your village names in the Subject of the
                                  message, so people won't look at your question for information about
                                  Ostravany.
                                  Thanks,

                                  Bill

                                  I have found family village names but when I google them I get nothing.
                                  Does anyone know what the following villages might be today:

                                  Nizne or Nizme Matasari
                                  Vagy Domasa

                                  Thanks

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

                                  > Just a hint to find the old or new Slovak villages - always Google them
                                  first. Sometimes you will find your answer.

                                  > Second, Cisarik's site
                                  > http://www.cisarik.com/village-0809.html
                                  > will give you a wealth of info on villages.
                                  > For example, his entry on Ostrovany shows the following historical names:
                                  > OLD NAMES of the village(town): 1773 Osztropataka, Ostrowjany, 1786 Osztro
                                  Pataka, Osztrawjani, 1808 Osztropataka, Ostrowany, Ostrowjany, Ostruwín,
                                  1863–1877 Osztropataka, 1882, 1900–1902 Osztrópataka, 1888–1892 Osztropatak,
                                  > 1895–1898 Osztrópatak, 1907–1913 Osztópatak, 1920 Ostrovany, Ostroviany,
                                  1927–1948 Ostroviany, 1948– Ostrovany
                                  > Knowing all these names may help you link up various documents. It did
                                  that for me.

                                  > Moreover, Cisarik adds a list of village surnames.
                                  > Carolyn
                                  >

                                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Marilyn,
                                  > >

                                  > > A little more digging discovered that Ostrovany's Hungarian name was
                                  > > Osztropatak or Osztropataka. Its Roman Catholic records were with
                                  Nyarsardo,
                                  > > now called NARSANY or RAZNANY, just south of Sabinov. (MapQuest shows it
                                  > > under Raznany.)
                                  > >

                                  > > Janet

                                • Janet Kozlay
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
                                    I think your Nizne Matasari is actually Nizne Matiasovce, now Liptovske
                                    Matiasovce. In old Lipto county, its Hungarian name was Also-Matyasocz.
                                    (Nizne and Also mean “lower” in Slovak and Hungarian.) If you look on a map
                                    of Slovakia, you will find the villages of Nizne Liptovske Matiasovce,
                                    Liptovske Matiasovce, and Vysne (“upper”) Liptovske Matiasovce lined up in a
                                    row east of Ruzomberok, west of Liptovsky Mikulas.

                                    LDS has Roman Catholic church records for this village available through
                                    your local Family History Center.

                                    Janet

                                    _____