In Virginia USA RE: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
      It is difficult to make generalizations about municipal subdivisions since
      these are really controlled by local legislation.

      In the United States, there is generally state legislation that defines if a
      location is a city or a town within a county. In Virginia the legislation
      provided for 95 counties and 39 cities. In Virginia the cities are
      “independent cities” in that they are separate and not a part of any county.
      There is no legislative body between the city and the state like there is
      for a town where the county is another legislative body between the town and
      the state.

      I’m sure it is different in other states within the United States and
      perhaps even so in many foreign countries.

      It is difficult therefore to make any generalizations about territorial
      subdivisions and the enabling legislation that forms the local governing
      bodies.

      Frank

      _____