Helping/Bartering/Exchanging info

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 1999
      I think Deb has hit on the major goal of any genealogy mailing list ....

      to create an atmosphere in which people from different geographic
      locations with access to different sources help each other by not only
      exchanging surname information but by "trading" or offering lookups,
      contacts etc.

      I myself often participate in exchanges with other persons, even in
      other countries. There are some things available to us here in the US,
      or at least easier to do in the US, than for those in other countries,
      and I have often exchanged doing something for someone for a similar
      lookup or something in that country.

      This is best done on an individual basis, (as I have learned the hard
      way that when you make an offer to someone publicly on a list, others
      ask if you can do the same, which sometimes you can and sometimes you
      can't).

      I encourage everyone to do this, its these acts of kindness towards each
      other that contribute to a good atmosphere on a list, and which also of
      course help us in our searching!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 1999
        Dear Maura:

        I have been extended many kindnesses...but none than the gentleman from one
        county in Florida, who traveled to a neighboring county to help solve the
        mystery of "Where's granny?"

        I knew when she died, and knew where she was buried, yet when I sent a friend
        to the cemetery (she is in Florida--I am in Las Vegas), they said granny was
        not in that particular cemetery. yet, I knew her to be there. From the
        genconnect board, for this county I met Marc. This gentleman, drove to the
        cemetery and walked up and down trying to find granny. The cemetery told me,
        my friend, Marc, and several others that granny was not there. Anyway, I
        insisted and they really were getting tired of me. In the meantime, Marc
        suggested that the plot may have been bought in someone elses name, so before
        he did anymore research, like looking for obits, etc.....I called with the
        name of my aunt, where my granny lived when she died........and the CEMETERY
        FOUND GRANNY. Years ago, it appears that they list people in who pays for
        the plot. Unbelievable.!!!!!

        Then I found out that Marc traveled from Tampa to Largo, over Tampa Bay, for
        a drive of about 1 hour.....just for me.....and he wouldn't take any money
        from me. Even when he sent me, some much wanted obits. Not even $$ for
        photocopying or postage.

        So, I have just learned how to look up obits at our main library and have
        posted messages and monitor the Clark County, (Las Vegas) Board on Gen
        Connect. I will offer to look up obits for people really serious about
        finding loved ones that died here in Clark county....so the kindness that
        Marc started is perpetuated.....I hope others pick up on this and help the
        serious searchers. I will never forget my "genealogy angel...Marc"

        Happy Hunting and God Bless
        Rosemary - Las Vegas
      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 1999
          Good for you Rosemary!

          Your tale is a -great- example of how people can make great progress by
          working together and having a helpful attitude.....