RE: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
      no 1-1 correlation, but this is close

      MEYGE = county -> American State
      Jaras = District -> American County
      Székhely = County Seat -> American State Capital

      Nagy = large. when affixed to a town name, it is relative in size.

      I've not seen the designations for hamlet, village or town in use. I
      usually just label them based on population. So many "villages" have/had
      300-500 people, that they are equivalent to unincorporated American
      hamlets. Often 2, 3 or 4 hamlets are centrally administered by one
      (sometimes)larger "village". They are all called "villages". Larger
      American-class "towns" (greater than 1000 population) are few, such as
      Snina, and even Presov. To an American standard, only Kosice and
      Bratislava could be considered "cities" by American standards. However,
      there are several "towns" that are just as important as a city, given
      their position and economic importance to the region (i.e., Presov.)
      I'm sure others will disagree on the specifics, but this is the general plan.

      Today, I believe the term in use for a collection of hamlets is a
      "micro-region". You will often see contemporary web sites organized this
      way.

      nagykozseg-s (large village) -> American Town - well, as a general rule
      yes, but you will quickly find the definition is somewhat subjective
      (thank you Janos!) and there are exceptions. Larger villages tend to
      have their own central administration, but in recent years you'll see many
      nearby "hamlets" have been "annexed" (American term) and ceased to be
      culturally autonomous.

      You will see a the same theme present in church records. There is a
      "parish" made up of 2 or 3 "hamlet" churches. One hamlet is the main
      church, where the priest resides. The one priest serves all churches in
      the parish. As with civil administration, this was done for economies of
      scale, and is still the case today.

      It's important to recognize that 100 years ago, the county was the center
      of our ancestors universe. The notion of national awareness was
      non-extant. That's why often you see the ancestors county listed as part
      of their place of origin.

      You would learn a lot by studying the maps:
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

      Regards,
      Bill

      On Tue, September 15, 2009 9:25 pm, Judy Hogel wrote:

      > Sam and John,
      >

      > Thank you for providing an answer to my question.
      >

      > The Radix site provided even more valuable information. However I need
      > some clarification of what I am reading. I am trying to relate this
      > information to U.S. location descriptions of ----state, county, city,
      > town.
      >

      > Would menge (county) = U..S. county or state?
      >

      > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
      >

      > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
      >

      > Thanks again
      >

      > Judy
      >

      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > From: smontko@...
      > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
      >

      > Judy
      >
      > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
      >
      > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
      >
      > Borsad Megye
      >
      > Szekhely Miskolc
      >
      > Varosek Miskolc
      >
      > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
      > Székhely: Finke
      > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
      > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
      > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,
      > Zilis
      >
      > Sam

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
    • Judy Hogel
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
        Bill,

        Thank you for your very thorough explanation. My genealogy program's mapping component requires that a location be entered following the U.S. state, county, city/town format in order for the location to be plotted. Your response helps a great deal in putting these geographical/governmental terms in a perspective that is familiar. Your comment about how our ancestors viewed their "home location" is an important reminder of how much more narrowly they perceived their home when compared to how we view the world today.

        Thanks again for all that you do to help us,
        Judy

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        From: bill.tarkulich@...
        Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:34:18 -0400
        Subject: RE: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?

> [...]

        > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
        >

        > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
        >

        > Thanks again
        >

        > Judy
        >

        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        > From: smontko@...
        > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
        >

        > Judy
        >
        > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
        >
        > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
        >
        > Borsad Megye
        >
        > Szekhely Miskolc
        >
        > Varosek Miskolc
        >
        > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
        > Székhely: Finke
        > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
        > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
        > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
          Judy,

          I find it annoying when people/companies develop programs that want us to
          fit everything into an American way of thinking and organizing. Most
          annoying is that many genealogy programs can't even handle foreign
          character set. In a field such as genealogy, they should be seeking to
          use geographic information systems standards that have been agreed to by
          international bodies.

          Kudos to you for trying to make a round peg fit into a square hole.

          Regards,
          Bill

          On Wed, September 16, 2009 10:23 am, Judy Hogel wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > Thank you for your very thorough explanation. My genealogy program's
          > mapping component requires that a location be entered following the U.S.
          > state, county, city/town format in order for the location to be plotted.
          > Your response helps a great deal in putting these
          > geographical/governmental terms in a perspective that is familiar. Your
          > comment about how our ancestors viewed their "home location" is an
          > important reminder of how much more narrowly they perceived their home
          > when compared to how we view the world today.
          >
          > Thanks again for all that you do to help us,
          > Judy

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009

            Thanks -- and I remember the first 50 times I looked at those old maps -- I was totally LOST -- however, the more you stare and the more you compare with modern maps -- the better you get at it -- so don't give up -- keep going back and looking, it really begins to make sense after lots of attempts.

            Caye

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
            From: bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com
            Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:34:18 -0400

> [...]

            > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
            >

            > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
            >

            > Thanks again
            >

            > Judy
            >

            > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
            > From: smontko@buckeye- express.com
            > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
            > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
            >

            > Judy
            >
            > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
            >
            > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
            >
            > Borsad Megye
            >
            > Szekhely Miskolc
            >
            > Varosek Miskolc
            >
            > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
            > Székhely: Finke
            > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
            > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
            > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi. com

            http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

          • Frank R Plichta
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
              It is difficult to make generalizations about municipal subdivisions since
              these are really controlled by local legislation.

              In the United States, there is generally state legislation that defines if a
              location is a city or a town within a county. In Virginia the legislation
              provided for 95 counties and 39 cities. In Virginia the cities are
              “independent cities” in that they are separate and not a part of any county.
              There is no legislative body between the city and the state like there is
              for a town where the county is another legislative body between the town and
              the state.

              I’m sure it is different in other states within the United States and
              perhaps even so in many foreign countries.

              It is difficult therefore to make any generalizations about territorial
              subdivisions and the enabling legislation that forms the local governing
              bodies.

              Frank

              _____

              http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm>
              elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

              Regards,
              Bill

              On Tue, September 15, 2009 9:25 pm, Judy Hogel wrote:

              > Sam and John,
              >

              > Thank you for providing an answer to my question.
              >

              > The Radix site provided even more valuable information. However I need
              > some clarification of what I am reading. I am trying to relate this
              > information to U.S. location descriptions of ----state, county, city,
              > town.
              >

              > Would menge (county) = U..S. county or state?
              >

              > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
              >

              > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
              >

              > Thanks again
              >

              > Judy
              >

              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
              > From: smontko@buckeye- <mailto:smontko%40buckeye-express.com> express.com
              > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
              >

              > Judy
              >
              > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
              >
              > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
              >
              > Borsad Megye
              >
              > Szekhely Miskolc
              >
              > Varosek Miskolc
              >
              > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
              > Székhely: Finke
              > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
              > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
              > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,
              > Zilis
              >
              > Sam

              ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

              --
              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi. <http://www.iabsi.com> com