Re: Edeleny, Hungary- which county?

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009
      >>> I assume it would have been in one of the 3 (Borsod, Abauj or Zemplen), but which? <<<

      Borsod.
    • smontko@buckeye-express.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009
        Judy

        Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...

        1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer

        Borsad Megye

        Szekhely Miskolc

        Varosek Miskolc

        Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
        Székhely: Finke
        Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke, Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony, Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos, Zilis

        Sam

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009
          Sam and John,

          Thank you for providing an answer to my question.

          The Radix site provided even more valuable information. However I need some clarification of what I am reading. I am trying to relate this information to U.S. location descriptions of ----state, county, city, town.

          Would menge (county) = U..S. county or state?

          Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?

          Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?

          Thanks again

          Judy

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          I am hoping that someone will be able to help me answer a question regarding a location in Hungary, near Budapest.

          From what I have read on line, I believe Edeleny, Hungary (16 mi/25 km north of Miskolc) was included in the combined county of Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen county after WW II. I would like to find out what county Edeleny would have been in prior to that, specifically 1800-1900. I assume it would have been in one of the 3 (Borsod, Abauj or Zemplen), but which?

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
            no 1-1 correlation, but this is close

            MEYGE = county -> American State
            Jaras = District -> American County
            Székhely = County Seat -> American State Capital

            Nagy = large. when affixed to a town name, it is relative in size.

            I've not seen the designations for hamlet, village or town in use. I
            usually just label them based on population. So many "villages" have/had
            300-500 people, that they are equivalent to unincorporated American
            hamlets. Often 2, 3 or 4 hamlets are centrally administered by one
            (sometimes)larger "village". They are all called "villages". Larger
            American-class "towns" (greater than 1000 population) are few, such as
            Snina, and even Presov. To an American standard, only Kosice and
            Bratislava could be considered "cities" by American standards. However,
            there are several "towns" that are just as important as a city, given
            their position and economic importance to the region (i.e., Presov.)
            I'm sure others will disagree on the specifics, but this is the general plan.

            Today, I believe the term in use for a collection of hamlets is a
            "micro-region". You will often see contemporary web sites organized this
            way.

            nagykozseg-s (large village) -> American Town - well, as a general rule
            yes, but you will quickly find the definition is somewhat subjective
            (thank you Janos!) and there are exceptions. Larger villages tend to
            have their own central administration, but in recent years you'll see many
            nearby "hamlets" have been "annexed" (American term) and ceased to be
            culturally autonomous.

            You will see a the same theme present in church records. There is a
            "parish" made up of 2 or 3 "hamlet" churches. One hamlet is the main
            church, where the priest resides. The one priest serves all churches in
            the parish. As with civil administration, this was done for economies of
            scale, and is still the case today.

            It's important to recognize that 100 years ago, the county was the center
            of our ancestors universe. The notion of national awareness was
            non-extant. That's why often you see the ancestors county listed as part
            of their place of origin.

            You would learn a lot by studying the maps:
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

            Regards,
            Bill

            On Tue, September 15, 2009 9:25 pm, Judy Hogel wrote:

            > Sam and John,
            >

            > Thank you for providing an answer to my question.
            >

            > The Radix site provided even more valuable information. However I need
            > some clarification of what I am reading. I am trying to relate this
            > information to U.S. location descriptions of ----state, county, city,
            > town.
            >

            > Would menge (county) = U..S. county or state?
            >

            > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
            >

            > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
            >

            > Thanks again
            >

            > Judy
            >

            > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            > From: smontko@...
            > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
            > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
            >

            > Judy
            >
            > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
            >
            > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
            >
            > Borsad Megye
            >
            > Szekhely Miskolc
            >
            > Varosek Miskolc
            >
            > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
            > Székhely: Finke
            > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
            > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
            > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,
            > Zilis
            >
            > Sam

            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
          • Judy Hogel
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
              Bill,

              Thank you for your very thorough explanation. My genealogy program's mapping component requires that a location be entered following the U.S. state, county, city/town format in order for the location to be plotted. Your response helps a great deal in putting these geographical/governmental terms in a perspective that is familiar. Your comment about how our ancestors viewed their "home location" is an important reminder of how much more narrowly they perceived their home when compared to how we view the world today.

              Thanks again for all that you do to help us,
              Judy

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              From: bill.tarkulich@...
              Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:34:18 -0400

> [...]

              > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
              >

              > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
              >

              > Thanks again
              >

              > Judy
              >

              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > From: smontko@...
              > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
              >

              > Judy
              >
              > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
              >
              > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
              >
              > Borsad Megye
              >
              > Szekhely Miskolc
              >
              > Varosek Miskolc
              >
              > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
              > Székhely: Finke
              > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
              > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
              > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
                Judy,

                I find it annoying when people/companies develop programs that want us to
                fit everything into an American way of thinking and organizing. Most
                annoying is that many genealogy programs can't even handle foreign
                character set. In a field such as genealogy, they should be seeking to
                use geographic information systems standards that have been agreed to by
                international bodies.

                Kudos to you for trying to make a round peg fit into a square hole.

                Regards,
                Bill

                On Wed, September 16, 2009 10:23 am, Judy Hogel wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > Thank you for your very thorough explanation. My genealogy program's
                > mapping component requires that a location be entered following the U.S.
                > state, county, city/town format in order for the location to be plotted.
                > Your response helps a great deal in putting these
                > geographical/governmental terms in a perspective that is familiar. Your
                > comment about how our ancestors viewed their "home location" is an
                > important reminder of how much more narrowly they perceived their home
                > when compared to how we view the world today.
                >
                > Thanks again for all that you do to help us,
                > Judy

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009

                  Thanks -- and I remember the first 50 times I looked at those old maps -- I was totally LOST -- however, the more you stare and the more you compare with modern maps -- the better you get at it -- so don't give up -- keep going back and looking, it really begins to make sense after lots of attempts.

                  Caye

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                  From: bill.tarkulich@ iabsi.com
                  Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:34:18 -0400

> [...]

                  > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
                  >

                  > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
                  >

                  > Thanks again
                  >

                  > Judy
                  >

                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                  > From: smontko@buckeye- express.com
                  > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
                  > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
                  >

                  > Judy
                  >
                  > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
                  >
                  > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
                  >
                  > Borsad Megye
                  >
                  > Szekhely Miskolc
                  >
                  > Varosek Miskolc
                  >
                  > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
                  > Székhely: Finke
                  > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
                  > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
                  > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,

                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi. com

                  http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

                • Frank R Plichta
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
                    It is difficult to make generalizations about municipal subdivisions since
                    these are really controlled by local legislation.

                    In the United States, there is generally state legislation that defines if a
                    location is a city or a town within a county. In Virginia the legislation
                    provided for 95 counties and 39 cities. In Virginia the cities are
                    “independent cities” in that they are separate and not a part of any county.
                    There is no legislative body between the city and the state like there is
                    for a town where the county is another legislative body between the town and
                    the state.

                    I’m sure it is different in other states within the United States and
                    perhaps even so in many foreign countries.

                    It is difficult therefore to make any generalizations about territorial
                    subdivisions and the enabling legislation that forms the local governing
                    bodies.

                    Frank

                    _____

                    http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm>
                    elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

                    Regards,
                    Bill

                    On Tue, September 15, 2009 9:25 pm, Judy Hogel wrote:

                    > Sam and John,
                    >

                    > Thank you for providing an answer to my question.
                    >

                    > The Radix site provided even more valuable information. However I need
                    > some clarification of what I am reading. I am trying to relate this
                    > information to U.S. location descriptions of ----state, county, city,
                    > town.
                    >

                    > Would menge (county) = U..S. county or state?
                    >

                    > Would szekhely (seat) = U.S. city or capital?
                    >

                    > Would nagykozseg-s (large village) = U.S. town?
                    >

                    > Thanks again
                    >

                    > Judy
                    >

                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                    > From: smontko@buckeye- <mailto:smontko%40buckeye-express.com> express.com
                    > Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 20:22:27 -0400
                    > Subject: Re: [S-R] Edeleny, Hungary- which county?
                    >

                    > Judy
                    >
                    > Your question is puzzling but I think the answer is Borsad...
                    >
                    > 1882 census from Radix on-line gazetteer
                    >
                    > Borsad Megye
                    >
                    > Szekhely Miskolc
                    >
                    > Varosek Miskolc
                    >
                    > Szendrei járás alsó szakasz
                    > Székhely: Finke
                    > Arnót, Bódva, Damak, Disznós-Horvát, Dövény, Dubicsány, Edelény, Finke,
                    > Galgóc, Hangács, Jákfalva, Sajó-Kaza, Felsõ-Kelecsény, Kurittyán, Mucsony,
                    > Felsõ-Nyárád, Nyomár, Pálfalu, Senye, Szirák, Kálló-Szuha, Sajó-Vámos,
                    > Zilis
                    >
                    > Sam

                    ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
                    unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

                    --
                    Bill Tarkulich
                    http://www.iabsi. <http://www.iabsi.com> com