RE: [S-R] Immigration - Naturalization reference numbers

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 14, 2009
      Hello Dot,

      These number have to do with naturalization - any step that was taken
      towards naturalization is referenced here. It does not necessarily imply
      they became naturalized citizens.
      Here is the secret decoder ring:
      http://tinyurl.com/pzu3nk

      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 7, 2010
        Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record for Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct line is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.

        As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she was headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins. I have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot find anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where she went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J. since that's where other family members settled.

        I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any suggestions?? Thank you.

        Dorothy
      • Samuel Ontko
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2010
          Rankin? Several possibilities in PA

          On 7/7/2010 10:29 PM, dot wrote:

          > Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record for
          > Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct line
          > is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.
          >
          > As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she was
          > headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins. I
          > have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot find
          > anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where she
          > went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J.
          > since that's where other family members settled.
          >
          > I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any
          > suggestions?? Thank you.
          >
          > Dorothy

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2010
            It seems clear to me - she is going to Rankin, Pennsylvania. It also seems clear that her name is Kuzma and not Kurma, but there are a great number of transcription errors in these records.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dot" <dotnpat@...> wrote:

            > Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record for Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct line is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.
            >
            > As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she was headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins. I have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot find anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where she went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J. since that's where other family members settled.
            >
            > I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any suggestions?? Thank you.
            >
            > Dorothy

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7, 2010
              I already replied previously in identifying Rankin Pa. Now I want to point out another anomaly I don't fully understand. I also checked immigration files on ancestry.com. They list the same ship and date, but show a DIFFERENT manifest in the same handwriting, but with a full printed heading saying the ship landed in Baltimore, not Ellis Island. It says she is heading for Rankin Pa., and her fare was paid by her father, and she is going to meet him in Rankin. It gives her last residence as Stefanocz, Hungary. I notice that the ellis island record is given in order of ticket number. This record seems to be the actual passenger manifest, and she is just number 7 among the passengers.

              Curt B.
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Ontko <smontko@...> wrote:

              > Rankin? Several possibilities in PA
              >
              > On 7/7/2010 10:29 PM, dot wrote:
              > >

              > > Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record for
              > > Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct line
              > > is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.
              > >
              > > As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she was
              > > headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins. I
              > > have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot find
              > > anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where she
              > > went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J.
              > > since that's where other family members settled.
              > >
              > > I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any
              > > suggestions?? Thank you.
              > >
              > > Dorothy

            • genmom4
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                I agree with Curt regarding the town of Rankin. It is in the Pittsburgh area, across the river from Munhall and adjacent to Braddock, PA.

                This is certainly interesting regarding the Ellis Island records. Curt's information piqued my curiosity. I went onto steve morse's missing manifests, and looked at the manifest from that site.
                The page prior to this one states CUSTOMS LIST OF PASSENGERS, and BALTIMORE is written above the first entry on that page. The last page of this "list" has the total number of Adults and children and a baggage count for cabin and for steerage.
                Below the tally is another note indicating that this ship was continuing on to Baltimore.

                I have located ancestors on the Castle Garden site who actually sailed into Baltimore. I was surprised to find them on the Castle Garden site when they did not actually come through that port. That was in the year 1886. So, it appears that there are some records from these earlier years, where these immigrants actually went through customs in New York, but got back on the boat to finish the destination to Baltimore.

                Interesting stuff, that's for sure.
                Barbara

                > I already replied previously in identifying Rankin Pa. Now I want to point out another anomaly I don't fully understand. I also checked immigration files on ancestry.com. They list the same ship and date, but show a DIFFERENT manifest in the same handwriting, but with a full printed heading saying the ship landed in Baltimore, not Ellis Island. It says she is heading for Rankin Pa., and her fare was paid by her father, and she is going to meet him in Rankin. It gives her last residence as Stefanocz, Hungary. I notice that the ellis island record is given in order of ticket number. This record seems to be the actual passenger manifest, and she is just number 7 among the passengers.
                >
                > Curt B.
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Samuel Ontko <smontko@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rankin? Several possibilities in PA
                > >
                > > On 7/7/2010 10:29 PM, dot wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record for
                > > > Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct line
                > > > is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.
                > > >
                > > > As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she was
                > > > headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins. I
                > > > have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot find
                > > > anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where she
                > > > went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J.
                > > > since that's where other family members settled.
                > > >
                > > > I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any
                > > > suggestions?? Thank you.
                > > >
                > > > Dorothy

              • Frank R Plichta
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Regarding the passenger lists and the port of entry.

                  Don't overlook the fact that the passenger lists or manifests were prepared
                  in Europe at the port of embarkation. It would not be un usual for the ship
                  to be scheduled to make several stops to debark passengers. So stops at
                  Castle Garden and then Baltimore are not out of the realm of possibility.

                  Frank

                  _____

                  <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , Samuel Ontko <smontko@> wrote:

                  > > Rankin? Several possibilities in PA
                  > >
                  > > On 7/7/2010 10:29 PM, dot wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Would someone be kind enough to pull up Ellis Island and the record
                  for
                  > > > Susanna Kurma. The line number listed is incorrect, but the correct
                  line
                  > > > is 0670. I believe this person might be my grandmother, Susanna Kuzma.
                  > > >
                  > > > As you will see, not much info is given; however, the city where she
                  was
                  > > > headed is given and it appears to be Basskiss or Basskins or Rasskins.
                  > > > have looked up every imagineable spelling I can think of but cannot
                  find
                  > > > anything that even comes close. I don't know when she came and where
                  she
                  > > > went when she arrived, but I suspect it was Illinois, Penn. or N.J.
                  > > > since that's where other family members settled.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm hoping one of our group might recognize the name. If not, any
                  > > > suggestions?? Thank you.
                  > > >
                  > > > Dorothy

                • MaryLou V. Crouch
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                    This is interesting and may explain why I am having so much trouble
                    finding info about my great grandparents' arrival. I have confimation
                    that they lived in Streator Ill for a few years around 1885-1890, had 3
                    children in the US including my grandfather, and then returned to the
                    old country. My ggrandfather came back to the US in 1909, presumably to
                    earn some money, and then went back again. I found his arrival in 1909
                    but have not found anything definite for their earlier arrival. I found
                    some passenger listings that might be them but the names were difficult
                    to decipher.
                    Any suggestions for clearing this mystery?
                    MaryLou

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                      Great Point Frank! Don't forget you can use the Cimorelli/Morton Allen
                      lists if you know the name of the ship or the approximate date of arrival.
                      This can help you back into things such as Frank suggests below.

                      http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm

                      Steve Morse has 1-step-ized the process somewhat.
                      http://www.stevemorse.org/

                      Bill

                      Bill
                    • Frank R Plichta
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                        Take another look at the 1909 passenger list. One of the pieces of
                        information was if the individual had been in the US previously. It may
                        tell you how many years before 1909 he was here and for how long. That
                        could give you a period of time to search manifests for that earlier
                        arrival.

                        Frank

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
                          Thanks to all who replied to my Immigration question re Susanna Kuzma. You gave me several things to look into, so hopefully I'll find the link I'm looking for.

                          Dorothy

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                          > Regarding the passenger lists and the port of entry.
                          >

                          > Don't overlook the fact that the passenger lists or manifests were prepared
                          > in Europe at the port of embarkation. It would not be un usual for the ship
                          > to be scheduled to make several stops to debark passengers. So stops at
                          > Castle Garden and then Baltimore are not out of the realm of possibility.
                          >

                          > Frank
                          >

                          > _____

                        • dot
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 29, 2011
                            I know this question appeared once before, but I don't recall the reply.
                            Will someone please give me an idea what the number and date refer to on manifest for Margit Rosko, departing SS President Lincoln from Cuxhaven, and arriving at Ellis Island on 7/10/12? I believe it has something to do with a return trip to Slovakia or applying for naturalization. The info was obviously written in many years after she arrived at EI. Thank you.

                            Dorothy
                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 29, 2011
                              Dot,
                              Information written on the original manifest at a later time served many different purposes. In this case the first annotation refers to the fact they she and her sister Anna were detained at arrival. In this case because of their youngage. They had to wait for their father Johann to come and get them. He lived ad 4 Boyd street in New York. They appear in the accompanying register of detentions. The next annotation with a date is simply a notice that a verification check was made as to ship and date of arrival. It is not always clear why such a verification check was made, but it usually was for citizenship application. In this case, it seems unlikely since the check was made only a year after she arrived. By the way, the date check seems to be for her sister Anna and not for her.

                              Curt B.