Re: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

  • Zoe Chandik
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
      Bill, I am new to the Czech-Slovak research area, but would like to
      help, if I can. I live in
      California, but will be gone for the next 2 weeks. What kind of
      assistance is needed? How much training would I need to help you? I
      have been working on my husbands line that came from Sakuz and
      Matisova, Slovakia in the 1890's. I do not know the language, but
      have obtained a Slovak-English dictionary recently. Let me know how I
      could be of help. Zoe Chandik vehummer@...

      On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

      Holy Smokes. I just received reports from the FHL and let's just say
      I've
      got a lot of work ahead of me. I have some huge reports with hundreds of
      thousands of lines that need to be parsed and sorted. If someone
      wants to
      help, let me know.

      There are a number of problems right now, with regard to Slovak,
      Czech and
      Ukraine records. They have new catalogers who apparently have made
      phantom
      "updates" making it nearly impossible to see what is new. Second,
      many of
      the records that have been cataloged for Slovakia have not been
      activated in
      the catalog and are invisible.

      Third, it appears Bratislava is nearly done, they are doing retakes
      after
      scouring and cleaning the catalog.

      I will direct you to the online Czech records once they are posted.

      This effort could take me months before I have something that makes
      sense to
      post, so help is appreciated. Please consider giving back.

      In the mean time, if you have a specific village you are interested
      in, send
      their name and country to me and I'll do a quick text scan to see if
      there
      are any entries.

      Bill

      <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
      margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px
      solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-
      weight: bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads
      { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad
      a{ color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor
      #ygrp-lc{ font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:
      10px 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; }
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } -->
      <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
      arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
      #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select,
      input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-
      mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg *
      {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text
      p{ margin: 0 0 1em 0; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
      weight: bold; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family:
      Verdana; font-size: 77%; margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0
      1px; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-reco { margin-
      bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { font-weight:
      bold; color: #ff7900; } #reco-category{ font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc
      { font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-
      vital a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul
      { padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin: 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-
      type: square; padding: 6px 0; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
      { text-decoration: none; font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc
      { background-color: #eee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; }
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-
      family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%;
      line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; }
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-
      sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; } o
      {font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-
      size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4}
      dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-
      weight: bold; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; }
      div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover,
      div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.file-title
      a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title
      a:visited { text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count
      { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } #ygrp-
      msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }
      div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family:
      Verdana; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div
      a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } -->
    • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
        You can count me in!

        From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>

        Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:25:20
        To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

        I have received tenfold as many requests for searches as I have offers of
        help. I seem to have created a monster. It has generated a large amount
        of additional work for me. This has forced my hand. I am making the update
        report my first task, so that you who benefit from this work can do the
        lookups yourself. I do this as a hobby, and time is very short for me.

        I have an offer from a kind-hearted soul with programming experience to help
        me pull out the essential data. We are talking about thousands of entries.
        If I can use the help from the other couple of folks who have offered to
        help, I'll let you know. Once that is done and posted you will be able to
        look through the updates yourself.

        Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
        for your
        village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

        Bill

      • Ron ROSKOS
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
          Bill,

          I would be interested in helping in any way I can. I am interested in the Zeleznika & Zelmanovce, Slovakia area which is just north of Presov.

          Thanks,

          Ron

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          From: borderterriers@...
          Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:53:27 -0700
          Subject: RE: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

          Bill, I can help if it doesn't take too much technical expertise! I'm
          interested in the village of Stara Bystrica, surnames of Hancin and Lodnan.
          Thanks.

          Marianna

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009

            Bill,

            I'd be happy to help.

            My village is BREZINA (the one east of Kosice and west of Trebisov, near BYSTA and KUZMICE).

            Caye

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
              hi Bill,
              please let me know how and if I can help. My family villages are
              Liptovska Teplicka, Lubicke Kupele, and Raslavice.
              what can we do to help.
              Noreen

            • Paul Paulochik
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                programmer?

              • Marilyn Hertenstein

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                    This is a wonderful tip! I used it today and found more listings in a few
                    minutes than I had found in weeks of searching. Thank you Bill.
                    BTW, I love your website--very useful.
                    MaryLou

                    Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
                    for your
                    village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

                    Bill

                    ---------------------
                    Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                    http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_326&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Se
                    tings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%2
                    Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                      I am Interested in Ruska Vola, Slovakia, the names are Kravec and Gladish. I know how overwhelming information can be, I am trying to sort through hundreds of pages from a baptism registry in Poland and am trying to finish that but am also trying to find information about my mother who was born is Slovakia in 1915, I do have her birth certificate but need information about her grandparents to search. She just turned 94 and I would like to find something soon.
                      Thanks for your offer, even if there is nothing, you are a generous person to offer to help.
                      Barbara,
                      Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                      catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                      something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                      programmer?

                    • Tom Potsko
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                        Bill,

                        Interested in Orsocz, Olsavce, Margonya, Marhan, Holic Slovakia, and
                        Strakonice, Czech Republic. Tom

                      • Dan WJJT Griffin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                          Bill,

                          I am interested in Ubrez, Gajdos, Sobrance, Ostrov, and Orechova in
                          Sobrance District of East Slovakia. Also Michalovce in the Michalovce
                          District of East Slovakia.

                          Dan

                        • jenna-m
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                            Hi Bill,

                            It sounds as if you don't want us to say what villages, places or surnames we are interested in finding out more about (at this time).

                            What kind of help would be most useful to you? Can you be specific of ways that one could help with limited S-R geneology skills and time? I would be happy to contribute in some way considering all the help and information I have received from many, here. Thanks for all you do.

                            Jenna