FHL Records redeaux

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
      I have received tenfold as many requests for searches as I have offers of
      help. I seem to have created a monster. It has generated a large amount
      of additional work for me. This has forced my hand. I am making the update
      report my first task, so that you who benefit from this work can do the
      lookups yourself. I do this as a hobby, and time is very short for me.

      I have an offer from a kind-hearted soul with programming experience to help
      me pull out the essential data. We are talking about thousands of entries.
      If I can use the help from the other couple of folks who have offered to
      help, I'll let you know. Once that is done and posted you will be able to
      look through the updates yourself.

      Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
      for your
      village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

      Bill
    • Zoe Chandik
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
        Bill, I am new to the Czech-Slovak research area, but would like to
        help, if I can. I live in
        California, but will be gone for the next 2 weeks. What kind of
        assistance is needed? How much training would I need to help you? I
        have been working on my husbands line that came from Sakuz and
        Matisova, Slovakia in the 1890's. I do not know the language, but
        have obtained a Slovak-English dictionary recently. Let me know how I
        could be of help. Zoe Chandik vehummer@...

        On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

        Holy Smokes. I just received reports from the FHL and let's just say
        I've
        got a lot of work ahead of me. I have some huge reports with hundreds of
        thousands of lines that need to be parsed and sorted. If someone
        wants to
        help, let me know.

        There are a number of problems right now, with regard to Slovak,
        Czech and
        Ukraine records. They have new catalogers who apparently have made
        phantom
        "updates" making it nearly impossible to see what is new. Second,
        many of
        the records that have been cataloged for Slovakia have not been
        activated in
        the catalog and are invisible.

        Third, it appears Bratislava is nearly done, they are doing retakes
        after
        scouring and cleaning the catalog.

        I will direct you to the online Czech records once they are posted.

        This effort could take me months before I have something that makes
        sense to
        post, so help is appreciated. Please consider giving back.

        In the mean time, if you have a specific village you are interested
        in, send
        their name and country to me and I'll do a quick text scan to see if
        there
        are any entries.

        Bill

        <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
        margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px
        solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-
        weight: bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads
        { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad
        a{ color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor
        #ygrp-lc{ font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:
        10px 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } -->
        <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
        arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
        #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select,
        input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-
        mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg *
        {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text
        p{ margin: 0 0 1em 0; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
        weight: bold; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family:
        Verdana; font-size: 77%; margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0
        1px; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-reco { margin-
        bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { font-weight:
        bold; color: #ff7900; } #reco-category{ font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc
        { font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-
        vital a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul
        { padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin: 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-
        type: square; padding: 6px 0; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
        { text-decoration: none; font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc
        { background-color: #eee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-
        family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%;
        line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-
        sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; } o
        {font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-
        size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4}
        dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-
        weight: bold; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; }
        div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover,
        div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.file-title
        a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title
        a:visited { text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count
        { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } #ygrp-
        msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }
        div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana;
        font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family:
        Verdana; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div
        a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } -->
      • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
          You can count me in!

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
            Bill,

            I would be interested in helping in any way I can. I am interested in the Zeleznika & Zelmanovce, Slovakia area which is just north of Presov.

            Thanks,

            Ron

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            From: borderterriers@...
            Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:53:27 -0700
            Subject: RE: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

            Bill, I can help if it doesn't take too much technical expertise! I'm
            interested in the village of Stara Bystrica, surnames of Hancin and Lodnan.
            Thanks.

            Marianna

            _____

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009

              Bill,

              I'd be happy to help.

              My village is BREZINA (the one east of Kosice and west of Trebisov, near BYSTA and KUZMICE).

              Caye

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                hi Bill,
                please let me know how and if I can help. My family villages are
                Liptovska Teplicka, Lubicke Kupele, and Raslavice.
                what can we do to help.
                Noreen

              • Paul Paulochik
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                  Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                  catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                  something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                  programmer?

                • Marilyn Hertenstein

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                      This is a wonderful tip! I used it today and found more listings in a few
                      minutes than I had found in weeks of searching. Thank you Bill.
                      BTW, I love your website--very useful.
                      MaryLou

                      Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
                      for your
                      village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

                      Bill

                      ---------------------
                      Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                      http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_326&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Se
                      tings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%2
                      Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                    • Barbara
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                        I am Interested in Ruska Vola, Slovakia, the names are Kravec and Gladish. I know how overwhelming information can be, I am trying to sort through hundreds of pages from a baptism registry in Poland and am trying to finish that but am also trying to find information about my mother who was born is Slovakia in 1915, I do have her birth certificate but need information about her grandparents to search. She just turned 94 and I would like to find something soon.
                        Thanks for your offer, even if there is nothing, you are a generous person to offer to help.
                        Barbara,
                        Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                        catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                        something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                        programmer?

                      • Tom Potsko
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                          Bill,

                          Interested in Orsocz, Olsavce, Margonya, Marhan, Holic Slovakia, and
                          Strakonice, Czech Republic. Tom

                        • Dan WJJT Griffin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                            Bill,

                            I am interested in Ubrez, Gajdos, Sobrance, Ostrov, and Orechova in
                            Sobrance District of East Slovakia. Also Michalovce in the Michalovce
                            District of East Slovakia.

                            Dan

                          • jenna-m
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                              Hi Bill,

                              It sounds as if you don't want us to say what villages, places or surnames we are interested in finding out more about (at this time).

                              What kind of help would be most useful to you? Can you be specific of ways that one could help with limited S-R geneology skills and time? I would be happy to contribute in some way considering all the help and information I have received from many, here. Thanks for all you do.

                              Jenna