Re: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

  • ginapa222
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
      Hi Bill,

      I'd be curious to know if you have anything from Volica and Zbudska
      Bela, primarily the names Sotak (Szotak), Chaly-Benyo, Czomplyak and
      Holovacs.

      I'm not sure what kind of help you need, but please let me know, and if
      I am capable of doing it, I certainly will.

      Thank you......Gina

      > From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>
      > Subject: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 5:28 AM
      >

      > �
      >

      > Holy Smokes. I just received reports from the FHL and let's just say
      I've

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
        I have received tenfold as many requests for searches as I have offers of
        help. I seem to have created a monster. It has generated a large amount
        of additional work for me. This has forced my hand. I am making the update
        report my first task, so that you who benefit from this work can do the
        lookups yourself. I do this as a hobby, and time is very short for me.

        I have an offer from a kind-hearted soul with programming experience to help
        me pull out the essential data. We are talking about thousands of entries.
        If I can use the help from the other couple of folks who have offered to
        help, I'll let you know. Once that is done and posted you will be able to
        look through the updates yourself.

        Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
        for your
        village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

        Bill
      • Zoe Chandik
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
          Bill, I am new to the Czech-Slovak research area, but would like to
          help, if I can. I live in
          California, but will be gone for the next 2 weeks. What kind of
          assistance is needed? How much training would I need to help you? I
          have been working on my husbands line that came from Sakuz and
          Matisova, Slovakia in the 1890's. I do not know the language, but
          have obtained a Slovak-English dictionary recently. Let me know how I
          could be of help. Zoe Chandik vehummer@...

          On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

          Holy Smokes. I just received reports from the FHL and let's just say
          I've
          got a lot of work ahead of me. I have some huge reports with hundreds of
          thousands of lines that need to be parsed and sorted. If someone
          wants to
[...]

          <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
          margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px
          solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-
          weight: bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads
          { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad
          a{ color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor
          #ygrp-lc{ font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:
          10px 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } -->
          <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
          arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select,
          input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-
          mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg *
          {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text
          p{ margin: 0 0 1em 0; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
          weight: bold; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family:
          Verdana; font-size: 77%; margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0
          1px; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-reco { margin-
          bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { font-weight:
          bold; color: #ff7900; } #reco-category{ font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc
          { font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-
          vital a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul
          { padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin: 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-
          type: square; padding: 6px 0; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
          { text-decoration: none; font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc
          { background-color: #eee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-
          family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%;
          line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-
          sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; } o
          {font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-
          size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4}
          dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-
          weight: bold; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; }
          div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover,
          div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.file-title
          a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title
          a:visited { text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count
          { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } #ygrp-
          msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }
          div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana;
          font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family:
          Verdana; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div
          a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } -->
        • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
            You can count me in!

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2009
              Bill,

              I would be interested in helping in any way I can. I am interested in the Zeleznika & Zelmanovce, Slovakia area which is just north of Presov.

              Thanks,

              Ron

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              From: borderterriers@...
              Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:53:27 -0700
              Subject: RE: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

              Bill, I can help if it doesn't take too much technical expertise! I'm
              interested in the village of Stara Bystrica, surnames of Hancin and Lodnan.
              Thanks.

              Marianna

              _____

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009

                Bill,

                I'd be happy to help.

                My village is BREZINA (the one east of Kosice and west of Trebisov, near BYSTA and KUZMICE).

                Caye

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                  hi Bill,
                  please let me know how and if I can help. My family villages are
                  Liptovska Teplicka, Lubicke Kupele, and Raslavice.
                  what can we do to help.
                  Noreen

                • Paul Paulochik
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                    Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                    catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                    something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                    programmer?

                  • Marilyn Hertenstein

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                        This is a wonderful tip! I used it today and found more listings in a few
                        minutes than I had found in weeks of searching. Thank you Bill.
                        BTW, I love your website--very useful.
                        MaryLou

                        Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
                        for your
                        village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

                        Bill

                        ---------------------
                        Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                        http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_326&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Se
                        tings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%2
                        Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                      • Barbara
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 13, 2009
                          I am Interested in Ruska Vola, Slovakia, the names are Kravec and Gladish. I know how overwhelming information can be, I am trying to sort through hundreds of pages from a baptism registry in Poland and am trying to finish that but am also trying to find information about my mother who was born is Slovakia in 1915, I do have her birth certificate but need information about her grandparents to search. She just turned 94 and I would like to find something soon.
                          Thanks for your offer, even if there is nothing, you are a generous person to offer to help.
                          Barbara,
                          Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                          catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                          something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                          programmer?

                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                            Bill,

                            Interested in Orsocz, Olsavce, Margonya, Marhan, Holic Slovakia, and
                            Strakonice, Czech Republic. Tom

                          • Dan WJJT Griffin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                              Bill,

                              I am interested in Ubrez, Gajdos, Sobrance, Ostrov, and Orechova in
                              Sobrance District of East Slovakia. Also Michalovce in the Michalovce
                              District of East Slovakia.

                              Dan

                            • jenna-m
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 14, 2009
                                Hi Bill,

                                It sounds as if you don't want us to say what villages, places or surnames we are interested in finding out more about (at this time).

                                What kind of help would be most useful to you? Can you be specific of ways that one could help with limited S-R geneology skills and time? I would be happy to contribute in some way considering all the help and information I have received from many, here. Thanks for all you do.

                                Jenna