RE: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

  • Judy Hogel
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12 12:17 PM
      I am interested in records for Studienka in Bratislava (a.k.a. Szentistvan, Szentistvankut and Haszprunka).

      Specifics: Slovak records for Roman Catholic Church and 1869 census.

      I'd have to know a bit more about what the "help" requires to know if I could be of any help.

      Judy Hogel

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      From: bill.tarkulich@...
      Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:28:29 -0400
      Subject: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

      Holy Smokes. I just received reports from the FHL and let's just say I've
      got a lot of work ahead of me. I have some huge reports with hundreds of
      thousands of lines that need to be parsed and sorted. If someone wants to
      help, let me know.

      There are a number of problems right now, with regard to Slovak, Czech and
      Ukraine records. They have new catalogers who apparently have made phantom
      "updates" making it nearly impossible to see what is new. Second, many of
      the records that have been cataloged for Slovakia have not been activated in
      the catalog and are invisible.

      Third, it appears Bratislava is nearly done, they are doing retakes after
      scouring and cleaning the catalog.

      I will direct you to the online Czech records once they are posted.

      This effort could take me months before I have something that makes sense to
      post, so help is appreciated. Please consider giving back.

      In the mean time, if you have a specific village you are interested in, send
      their name and country to me and I'll do a quick text scan to see if there
      are any entries.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12 12:17 PM
        Bill
        Let me know how I can help. The villiage I would be interested is Gbely,Skalica... 41 miles due north of Bratislava.
        .
        Thank you.
        Larry
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12 12:31 PM
          Hi Bill,

          I'd be curious to know if you have anything from Volica and Zbudska
          Bela, primarily the names Sotak (Szotak), Chaly-Benyo, Czomplyak and
          Holovacs.

          I'm not sure what kind of help you need, but please let me know, and if
          I am capable of doing it, I certainly will.

          Thank you......Gina

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12 5:25 PM
            I have received tenfold as many requests for searches as I have offers of
            help. I seem to have created a monster. It has generated a large amount
            of additional work for me. This has forced my hand. I am making the update
            report my first task, so that you who benefit from this work can do the
            lookups yourself. I do this as a hobby, and time is very short for me.

            I have an offer from a kind-hearted soul with programming experience to help
            me pull out the essential data. We are talking about thousands of entries.
            If I can use the help from the other couple of folks who have offered to
            help, I'll let you know. Once that is done and posted you will be able to
            look through the updates yourself.

            Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
            for your
            village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

            Bill
          • Zoe Chandik
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12 5:39 PM
              Bill, I am new to the Czech-Slovak research area, but would like to
              help, if I can. I live in
              California, but will be gone for the next 2 weeks. What kind of
              assistance is needed? How much training would I need to help you? I
              have been working on my husbands line that came from Sakuz and
              Matisova, Slovakia in the 1890's. I do not know the language, but
              have obtained a Slovak-English dictionary recently. Let me know how I
              could be of help. Zoe Chandik vehummer@...

              On Sep 12, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

[...]

              <!-- #ygrp-mkp{ border: 1px solid #d8d8d8; font-family: Arial;
              margin: 14px 0px; padding: 0px 14px; } #ygrp-mkp hr{ border: 1px
              solid #d8d8d8; } #ygrp-mkp #hd{ color: #628c2a; font-size: 85%; font-
              weight: bold; line-height: 122%; margin: 10px 0px; } #ygrp-mkp #ads
              { margin-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mkp .ad{ padding: 0 0; } #ygrp-mkp .ad
              a{ color: #0000ff; text-decoration: none; } --> <!-- #ygrp-sponsor
              #ygrp-lc{ font-family: Arial; } #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{ margin:
              10px 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 78%; line-height: 122%; }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{ margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 0 0; } -->
              <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family:
              arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;*font-size:small;*font:x-small;}
              #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select,
              input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-
              mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;*font-size:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg *
              {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family: Georgia; } #ygrp-text
              p{ margin: 0 0 1em 0; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-
              weight: bold; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top: 10px; font-family:
              Verdana; font-size: 77%; margin: 0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding: 0
              1px; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-reco { margin-
              bottom: 20px; padding: 0px; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { font-weight:
              bold; color: #ff7900; } #reco-category{ font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc
              { font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-vital a{ text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-
              vital a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul
              { padding: 0 0 0 8px; margin: 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-
              type: square; padding: 6px 0; font-size: 77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a
              { text-decoration: none; font-size: 130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc
              { background-color: #eee; margin-bottom: 20px; padding: 0 8px; }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding: 8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-
              family: Arial; font-weight: bold; color: #628c2a; font-size: 100%;
              line-height: 122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration: none; }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } #ygrp-
              sponsor .ad p{ margin: 0; font-weight: normal; color: #000000; } o
              {font-size: 0; } .MsoNormal{ margin: 0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-
              size: 120%; } blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;} .replbq{margin:4}
              dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana; font-
              weight: bold; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; }
              div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover,
              div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; } div.file-title
              a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title
              a:visited { text-decoration: none; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count
              { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; } #ygrp-
              msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }
              div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana;
              font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family:
              Verdana; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div
              a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } -->
            • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12 6:26 PM
                You can count me in!

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12 7:50 PM
                  Bill,

                  I would be interested in helping in any way I can. I am interested in the Zeleznika & Zelmanovce, Slovakia area which is just north of Presov.

                  Thanks,

                  Ron

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  From: borderterriers@...
                  Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:53:27 -0700
                  Subject: RE: [S-R] FHL Records redeaux

                  Bill, I can help if it doesn't take too much technical expertise! I'm
                  interested in the village of Stara Bystrica, surnames of Hancin and Lodnan.
                  Thanks.

                  Marianna

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13 5:41 AM

                    Bill,

                    I'd be happy to help.

                    My village is BREZINA (the one east of Kosice and west of Trebisov, near BYSTA and KUZMICE).

                    Caye

                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13 6:15 AM
                      hi Bill,
                      please let me know how and if I can help. My family villages are
                      Liptovska Teplicka, Lubicke Kupele, and Raslavice.
                      what can we do to help.
                      Noreen

                    • Paul Paulochik
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 13 11:05 AM
                        Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                        catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                        something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                        programmer?

                      • Marilyn Hertenstein

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 13 12:28 PM
                            This is a wonderful tip! I used it today and found more listings in a few
                            minutes than I had found in weeks of searching. Thank you Bill.
                            BTW, I love your website--very useful.
                            MaryLou

                            Do not neglect to use the "keyword search" feature on the FHL site to search
                            for your
                            village name. Sometimes your village name is not in the primary title.

                            Bill

                            ---------------------
                            Text inserted by Panda GP 2010:

                            http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_326&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Se
                            tings\Mary%20Lou\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%2
                            Global%20Protection%202010\AntiSpam
                          • Barbara
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 13 4:19 PM
                              I am Interested in Ruska Vola, Slovakia, the names are Kravec and Gladish. I know how overwhelming information can be, I am trying to sort through hundreds of pages from a baptism registry in Poland and am trying to finish that but am also trying to find information about my mother who was born is Slovakia in 1915, I do have her birth certificate but need information about her grandparents to search. She just turned 94 and I would like to find something soon.
                              Thanks for your offer, even if there is nothing, you are a generous person to offer to help.
                              Barbara,
                              Could you be a bit more specific? Are you talkng microfilms that have been
                              catalogued, or data from the microfilms? And what sort of help do you need -
                              something that can be done in a spreadsheet, or does this need a database
                              programmer?

                            • Tom Potsko
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 14 3:36 AM
                                Bill,

                                Interested in Orsocz, Olsavce, Margonya, Marhan, Holic Slovakia, and
                                Strakonice, Czech Republic. Tom

                              • Dan WJJT Griffin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 14 8:04 AM
                                  Bill,

                                  I am interested in Ubrez, Gajdos, Sobrance, Ostrov, and Orechova in
                                  Sobrance District of East Slovakia. Also Michalovce in the Michalovce
                                  District of East Slovakia.

                                  Dan

                                • jenna-m
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 14 8:42 AM
                                    Hi Bill,

                                    It sounds as if you don't want us to say what villages, places or surnames we are interested in finding out more about (at this time).

                                    What kind of help would be most useful to you? Can you be specific of ways that one could help with limited S-R geneology skills and time? I would be happy to contribute in some way considering all the help and information I have received from many, here. Thanks for all you do.

                                    Jenna