Re: [S-R] Name Changes

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
      Thanks , Bill, for your input. I do know the ancestral villages. I guess this group is getting tired of hearing my story, but I will bore you all once more with the details.
      First of all , here is what I learned a few years ago, from reports of my grandmother, aunts, uncles (all since deceased). My grandma's family, (which was Austrian, and spoke German) had a large farm in Iglo , Hungary, (after 1918 it became Spisska Nova Ves). They were prosperous for the times, had many servants and workers.
      The farm was confiscated during WW1, and family living there were all killed.
      Only those who left the farm prior to the war were alive.

      (The descendents of these I've been seeking the last three years, with the help of my AMERICAN friend, who lives in SNV. Has lived there since 1939, when , at 13 , she got stuck there by the war.)
      I have found most of my grandma's siblings, on LDS microfilms, which are authentic, (including illegible handwriting). Also I have much of my grandma's PEDIGREE, which I paid the Levoca Archives to do, all the way back to 1764. (they found as much as my money would allow).
      Then a year and a half ago I heard about a letter written to grandma in the thirties, from BREZOVICA NAD TORYSA. I E-mailed this info to my friend in SNV, and she called her friend ,Anna Mikova, who lives there, and was told that the GURKOS (Gurkas??) used to live there , but they're all gone. In subsequent weeks Anna talked to older people, whose parents and grandparents used to work for the Gurkas.

      I obtained, from the Presov Archives the marriage docoment of my grandmother's brother JOZSEF GURKO, and his wife Terezia Guminszki, for verification that he was the same one born in Spisska Nova Ves. Of course I'm taking the archives' word for this, since this is NOT AN ORIGINAL DOCUMENT?? I believe that there are words in Slovak at the bottom, that (I think ) state this.
      They had a son, killed in WW1, and three daughters, RUZENA ALZBETA, AND TEREZIA.
      Their house is the one that is NO LONGER THERE. Vladi was there last June.
      The three daughters are supposed to have gone to Kosice.
      Their daughter ,Ruzena, was Anna Mikova,s teacher in school (5th to 9th grades), in the 1940's. So , Michael, this would be a different Ruzena, since you say she died in 1930. Anna Mikova went to her funeral, (and Anna wasn't born until 1936).
      There is so much more, but this is getting long.
      Jozef Gurko was born in 1866, got married in 1893.

      All I have to do is find out where my AUSTRIAN family got the Slavik name of GURKO ??
      Thanks for all the help so far. Tom
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
        Oh yes, and I've pretty immersed myself in Slovak history the last three years, how Hungary controlled things for hundreds of years. I know the story of JANOSIK all about Milan Rastislav Stefanic. who died in a plane crash that some say was no accident?? I know about the Cleveland agreement, and the Pittsburg Agreement, that led to the establishment of Czechoslovakia, in which some say the "Czechs got the cream; Slovaks got skim milk". Then there was the "First Slovak Republic' with Father Josef Tiso as president. (all with the blessing of Adolf Hitler) (from 1939 to 1945). This is all argued about on Slovak television even today.
        And I'm told that even now sometimes Hungarians doo mean things like cause a disturbance at a ball game. or burn a Slovak flag in Budapest..
        Tom

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
          " And I'm told that even now sometimes Hungarians doo mean things like
          cause a disturbance at a ball game. or burn a Slovak flag in Budapest.."

          Sadly, that still goes on in many countries, not just Slovakia.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
            Tom,
            Documentation mistakes still cannot be discounted. Nobody was looking for
            "positive ID" until the 1960s, especially in Czechoslovakia.

            So you got info that GURKO/GURKA did exist in the village. My "hunch" and
            it is just that is that GURKO maybe a Rusyn name with roots in the East of
            present-day Slovakia. GURKA may be a Magyar name with roots in present-day
            Hungary.

            I would want to know from Anna Mikova:
            1. What years did these family live there?
            2. What religion were they?
            3. Has someone checked the cemetery? Are they buried there.

            It's possible they were "nomadic", or at least, had all their BMDs
            consummated elsewhere.

            RUZENA ALZBETA, AND TEREZIA - these are interesting given names. Middle
            name is Slovak, the other two are Czech. What religion were they baptized?

            Have you had anyone go to the SNV town offices and look for BMD records?
            Privacy laws apply of course. I'd be interested in records from 1895
            forward.

            What year did GURKO name start showing up in the records, where, and what
            was the birth year of that GURKO?

            There are other less "clean" reasons for all of this. Rape. Adoption.
            Death. War. Name gets changed later. Illegitimate birth. These are hugely
            difficult to figure out.
            For example, My grandmother's sister went to Ukraine to work, had an
            illegitimate son, returned to the village, married later and had more
            children. The son had the blood father's surname. Later, he detested that
            name so much, he legally changed his surname to something else. I never
            would have uncovered that without his daughter's testimony.

            I would study the period around World War One carefully.
            Build a timeline, not a pedigree, and try to fill in the events.

            1866 - JOZSEF GURKO born

            1884-1892 Of course conscription from 18 to 22 was expected.

            1893 - Jozef Gurko married. The archives looked this info up for you? You
            can do it yourself at the FHC. Pull the 1893 film of the ORIGINAL DOCUMENT,
            it will state their village of origin.

            1893 - 1903 - Ruzena's parents were having kids (implied). 4 kids @ 2 years
            each +25%.

            1914-1918 WW1
            1918 - Most landowners flee the country but continue to own the land.

            1936 - Anna Mickova born
            1940s - Ruzena was teaching -so she had to be late 30s to late 40s in age.
            1950s - Estate property was transferred to state control.

            1960s - I would expect Ruzena and siblings to have died around this time

            Look at this, he married right out of the military. Where was he married?
            You cannot discount that the MIKOS was not a nomadic family.

            Another idea is to inspect property records from the village(s) in question.
            If the family was affluent, they undoubtedly would hold property and there
            would be a record of this. This can be done online or via Peter Nagy.
            http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/land.html

            Good Luck,

            Regard,

            Bill

            I used the 1995 Slovakia Census database to search the spellings of the
            surnames to listed in your message.
            Hudeck 0 hits, a list of alternatives was given.
            Hudek - 108 found in 28 locations.
            Hudcek - 46 found in 16 locations.
            Hudecek - 167 found 65 locations.
            Hudecz - 7 found in 5 locations.
            Hudec - 3318 found in 587 locations.
            From this you can see there are a variety of spellings. If yours is Hudek
            then it is one of the lesser used spellings.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
              Bill,
              As I've stated, I HAVE IN MY POSSESSION, I'm looking at it right now, the MARRIAGE DOCUMENT of JOZSEF GURKO, married in Brezovica (Roman Catholic), that states that he was "MESTO NARODENIA" 27 ROKOV, SPISSKA NOVA VES (IGLO). I just received this last spring. His wife, Terezia Guminszki was SL'ACTICNA. (hardly nomadic).
              And Jozsef's occupation is listed as VEREJNY NOTAR. (I believe that's "Public Notary".
              Also Jozsef's father was supposed to be in a titled family, but, since he was a younger son, he did not inherit a title. That means that they were in Brezovica at least since 1893.
              This past June , Vladi Linder took closeups of their grave. I'm looking at the photo right now JOZEF GURKO 1866- 1946, TEREZIA GURKOVA 1875- 1954.
              I cannot get any more from Anna Mikova, since I understand that she has serious health problems, and is unable to care for herself any more???? She lost her husband a year ago; and her son had to go to Prague to find work.
              I know that if she could have, she would have talked to Vladi when he was there this June.
              And my friend in Spisska Nova Ves isn't in much better shape. If she could have, she would have been to the Parish, and Civic records in Spisska Nova Ves, . But she's 83, with severe osteoporosis and coxartrosis, can't get around without help.
              I've written to people in SNV and surrounding towns and villages who have surnames connected to the Gurko Family; written to them in my broken Slovak, with the help of a dictionary. Received a couple of E-mails, but nothing that led to my family cousins.
              Been an interesting 3 years, and I've sure learned a lot about Eastern Europe

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                And, while I think of it, I have the page of a letter written to my grandmother in the 1930's from Brezovica Nad Torysa, IN GERMAN, which pretty much proves the Austria connection.
                Tom