Re: [S-R] Name Changes

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2009
      Tom,
      have you tried putting Gurko or any of the other names into the one step
      search by robert Morse?
      _http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellis.html_
      (http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellis.html)
      Noreen

      In a message dated 9/5/2009 2:18:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      tomfgurka@... writes:

      When looking through LDS micofilm, I run into HUDEK ,HUDECK KODESCH
      HODESCH??
      Then ,when I go to Slovak White Pages, the only ones that give me any
      matches or info are HUDEK and KODESCH.
      Also I found SZONOGA, and got no help from the white pages until I dropped
      the Z and just wrote it SONOGA.
      Is there some movement in Slovakia to get rid of all Hungarian spellings??

      Also, my ancestors name was GURKO. White pages give me nothing on GURKO,
      but several addresses of GURKA. Are these two the same name with different
      spellings?
      Tom

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2009
        Tom,
        I used the 1995 Slovakia Census database to search the spellings of the surnames to listed in your message.
        Hudeck 0 hits, a list of alternatives was given.
        Hudek - 108 found in 28 locations.
        Hudcek - 46 found in 16 locations.
        Hudecek - 167 found 65 locations.
        Hudecz - 7 found in 5 locations.
        Hudec - 3318 found in 587 locations.
        From this you can see there are a variety of spellings. If yours is Hudek then it is one of the lesser used spellings.
        Kodesch - 4 found in 2 locations
        Hodesch - 0
        Holisch - 12 found in 7 locations
        Kosesch given as an alternative.
        Szonoga - 0
        Sonoga - 36 listings in 14 locations.
        Gurko - 1 found in 1 location.
        Gurka - 98 found in 28 locations.
        Since in 1995 there was only one person with the spelling Gurko I would conclude that somewhere along the way the "a" got changed to an "o".
        In my own name in Slovakia it is spelled Mojcher, but originally there and in the USA it is Mojher. I found in the records how and when the "c" got added. So things do happen to names.
        If there is a "z" associated with an "s" or a "c" you can pretty well understand that it was a Hungarian form of the name. During the Magyarization period Hungarian spellings were forced upon people. Look at Hudecz and Hudec, 7 vs 3318. More than likely many of those families dropped the "z". As far as I know there is not a formal movement to change the Hungarian spellings back to the Slovak spellings. Since the Hungarian spellings were forced on people to begin with it should not be a surprise they would change it back to the original. A more interesting answer would be "Why did they keep the Hungarian spelling?"

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
          Thanks, Mike, for looking that up. I will print taat and save it.
          I see you sent it at 1.00 AM. You were working overtime.
          In the case of the GURKO name, it's the other way around though. I found my grandma's GURKO family, on microfilm, but can't find anybody with that name today.
          They were kicked out of one town at the time of WW1, or before. And kicked out of another one after WW2, probably by the communists.
          According to one marriage record , some were "SL'ACHTIC " (Aristocratic) in other words, Too High Class for their own good.
          When Vladi went to Brezovica this summer to get me a photo of the family house (or ruins thereof) he was shown a sign that read, " Here is where the Gurko family house was "
          I'm suspecting that if there are any survivors left, that they are HIDING , have probably changed their name, and don't want to be found. I know of one who was buried in Kosice, in ROSALIA CEMETERY?? not too many years ago. Someday I'll get someone to go there and find out how her last name is spelled.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
            Tom,
            I was up late working on another project. I had some time to kill during it and plugged in your surnames while waiting.
            That one Gurko in the 1995 Census was located in Castkov in the district of Senica. If there was only one Gurko in 1995 it could well be if they died there are no longer any left in Slovakia. I could understand them hiding prior to 1993, but after that they would have no reason to fear being "Sl'achtic".
            Of all things, as I write my translators from my first two trips to Slovakia are visiting me. They are from Kosice. If you like I will see if they will search out your relatives grave. Send all the information you have on it.
            I did find this -
            Last and first name Age Place of burial Date of funeral includes

            Gurkó István 0 Kosice - Verejný cintorín 02.05.1896
            Gurko Mihály 0 Kosice - Verejný cintorín 24.06.1898
            Gurková Ruzena 0 Kosice - Verejný cintorín 30.09.1930
            Gurková Anna 82 Kosice - Verejný cintorín - Kolumbárium 00.00.1996

            Link - http://www.cemetery.sk/english/?

            I'm not sure why the first three has an age of "0". Possibly they did die at or close to birth and no age was given.
            I read where the Rozalia cemetery is very large and finding grave sites can be difficult. At least you know Anna is in the Kolumbarium, which should make it easier to find her. I can ask Maros to take a photograph of it for you.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
              Tom,
              You ask some very dangerous questions, I will give some questionable
              answers. ;)

              1. The microfilms you are looking at are probably 100 years or older. The
              White Pages are now. Especially after WW2, there was a lot of migration.
              Entire family surnames disappeared from the village, often even the country.
              Many of the poorest went to the-now Czech republic to work and never
              returned. Movements and marriages outside the villages caused lines to fade
              out (hey, I have three girls!)

              2. Names were rendered in the "official" language of the church and later of
              the government. Understanding the historical context of the times is
              essential. Major document breakpoints were early 1700s, 1850s, 19-teens,
              after 1918, 1938-45 and 1993.

              3. Some names morphed over time. Most did not. There is no "official
              morphing guide." There are as many reasons to change names as there are
              people. Never extrapolate name A = name B without good evidence.

              4. Movement to get rid of Hungarian? I think you mean the Magyar language.
              That is a super-loaded question. I will hit and run: First, old documents
              will not be changed. They are what they are. It's up to YOU the reader,
              the historian to interpret them in the context of the time. Often 100 years
              ago, there was no "official" spelling. Heck, most people couldn't even read
              and there was no notion of "positive ID". After the Hungary Kingdom was
              crushed in 1914, the official language of the government of Czechoslovakia
              was Czech and Slovak. Documents after this time were then rendered with the
              change.
              Hit and run two: Some people adopted the Magyar spelling regardless of
              their ethnicity. Magyars always lived in Slovakia and still do. Don't
              discount that a Magyar spelling may in fact be a family of ethnic Magyar.
              Preponderance of ethnic Magyar remain in southern reaches of Slovakia, so
              check a map when looking at possible villages.

              5. I would never reach GURKO GURKA are the same. You really should find
              the village of origin of your ancestors. That would give you far better
              clues where to look.

              As you can see, I'm not a fan of chasing names. What is your ancestral
              village.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                Tom,
                Bill has presented some very good points on how a historical context is needed in order to understand our genealogical research finds. I think each of us have wondered why our ancestors migrated. The point was brought home to me when a cousin who had gone to our ancestral village before me stated, "Why would they have wanted to leave such beautiful country?" At that time I had no answer. Now with six trips to Slovakia and as many history books on Slovakia read I feel I have some perspective on the question of why.
                Bill lists years of "Major document breakpoints". Those points correspond very closely to important historical events in Hungary. While we are all proud of our Slovak roots, one cannot dismiss the historical fact that for 900 years the land that is present day Slovakia was under Hungarian rule. That history had a profound affect on the "why" question.
                The vast majority of Slovak immigration happened between 1880 and 1930. The book Round-Trip to America has a chart that showed between 1908 and 1923 225,033 Slovaks immigrated to America. The surprising fact is 57% of them returned home! We are the product of the 43% that stayed. Only three other nationalities had a higher return rate. Interestingly, Magyar (Hungarians) at 66% was one.
                Those numbers do not have a context. By reading Slovak history two situations makes one understand something about the "why".
                The Slovak peasants each year had to put in so many hours of labor for the local nobility. Plus trying to raise enough to keep themselves alive during the year. The pay for their labor and their farming often did not produce enough to keep the family from starving. In order to make "ends meet" for 400 years Slovak peasants would hire themselves out in the off season in countries all over Europe. They would make enough money to survive and return home. When trains and steamships make it possible to get to America easily and back, they just kept up the long tradition of working elsewhere and returning home.
                Another force for immigration was the Hungarian policy of Magyarization. Where by the Hungarians who were 35 to 40% of the population wanted to turn everyone else into a Magyar. This was only possible because the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 gave the Magyars the ability to rule as they pleased. Under Magyarization the Magyar language was the "official" one. As a result you find Slovak names used Magyar spellings. Any school that taught in Slovak was closed. All government paperwork had to be in Magyar. This is when we see the Church Registers are filed in Magyar. Admittedly, for most peasants Magyarization did not have a huge impact. The most immediate would be church run elementary schools that taught in Slovak had to teach in Magyar or close. But it did create an negative atmosphere the peasant would have been aware of. The immigrants in American were often more "politically aware" because of their access to Slovak newspapers in America. When those emigrants returned home they became a force that empowered the Slovak national movement.
                Sometimes the history behind the "why" can be very interesting.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                  Thanks , Bill, for your input. I do know the ancestral villages. I guess this group is getting tired of hearing my story, but I will bore you all once more with the details.
                  First of all , here is what I learned a few years ago, from reports of my grandmother, aunts, uncles (all since deceased). My grandma's family, (which was Austrian, and spoke German) had a large farm in Iglo , Hungary, (after 1918 it became Spisska Nova Ves). They were prosperous for the times, had many servants and workers.
                  The farm was confiscated during WW1, and family living there were all killed.
                  Only those who left the farm prior to the war were alive.

                  (The descendents of these I've been seeking the last three years, with the help of my AMERICAN friend, who lives in SNV. Has lived there since 1939, when , at 13 , she got stuck there by the war.)
                  I have found most of my grandma's siblings, on LDS microfilms, which are authentic, (including illegible handwriting). Also I have much of my grandma's PEDIGREE, which I paid the Levoca Archives to do, all the way back to 1764. (they found as much as my money would allow).
                  Then a year and a half ago I heard about a letter written to grandma in the thirties, from BREZOVICA NAD TORYSA. I E-mailed this info to my friend in SNV, and she called her friend ,Anna Mikova, who lives there, and was told that the GURKOS (Gurkas??) used to live there , but they're all gone. In subsequent weeks Anna talked to older people, whose parents and grandparents used to work for the Gurkas.

                  I obtained, from the Presov Archives the marriage docoment of my grandmother's brother JOZSEF GURKO, and his wife Terezia Guminszki, for verification that he was the same one born in Spisska Nova Ves. Of course I'm taking the archives' word for this, since this is NOT AN ORIGINAL DOCUMENT?? I believe that there are words in Slovak at the bottom, that (I think ) state this.
                  They had a son, killed in WW1, and three daughters, RUZENA ALZBETA, AND TEREZIA.
                  Their house is the one that is NO LONGER THERE. Vladi was there last June.
                  The three daughters are supposed to have gone to Kosice.
                  Their daughter ,Ruzena, was Anna Mikova,s teacher in school (5th to 9th grades), in the 1940's. So , Michael, this would be a different Ruzena, since you say she died in 1930. Anna Mikova went to her funeral, (and Anna wasn't born until 1936).
                  There is so much more, but this is getting long.
                  Jozef Gurko was born in 1866, got married in 1893.

                  All I have to do is find out where my AUSTRIAN family got the Slavik name of GURKO ??
                  Thanks for all the help so far. Tom

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Oh yes, and I've pretty immersed myself in Slovak history the last three years, how Hungary controlled things for hundreds of years. I know the story of JANOSIK all about Milan Rastislav Stefanic. who died in a plane crash that some say was no accident?? I know about the Cleveland agreement, and the Pittsburg Agreement, that led to the establishment of Czechoslovakia, in which some say the "Czechs got the cream; Slovaks got skim milk". Then there was the "First Slovak Republic' with Father Josef Tiso as president. (all with the blessing of Adolf Hitler) (from 1939 to 1945). This is all argued about on Slovak television even today.
                    And I'm told that even now sometimes Hungarians doo mean things like cause a disturbance at a ball game. or burn a Slovak flag in Budapest..
                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                      " And I'm told that even now sometimes Hungarians doo mean things like
                      cause a disturbance at a ball game. or burn a Slovak flag in Budapest.."

                      Sadly, that still goes on in many countries, not just Slovakia.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                        Tom,
                        Documentation mistakes still cannot be discounted. Nobody was looking for
                        "positive ID" until the 1960s, especially in Czechoslovakia.

                        So you got info that GURKO/GURKA did exist in the village. My "hunch" and
                        it is just that is that GURKO maybe a Rusyn name with roots in the East of
                        present-day Slovakia. GURKA may be a Magyar name with roots in present-day
                        Hungary.

                        I would want to know from Anna Mikova:
                        1. What years did these family live there?
                        2. What religion were they?
                        3. Has someone checked the cemetery? Are they buried there.

                        It's possible they were "nomadic", or at least, had all their BMDs
                        consummated elsewhere.

                        RUZENA ALZBETA, AND TEREZIA - these are interesting given names. Middle
                        name is Slovak, the other two are Czech. What religion were they baptized?

                        Have you had anyone go to the SNV town offices and look for BMD records?
                        Privacy laws apply of course. I'd be interested in records from 1895
                        forward.

                        What year did GURKO name start showing up in the records, where, and what
                        was the birth year of that GURKO?

                        There are other less "clean" reasons for all of this. Rape. Adoption.
                        Death. War. Name gets changed later. Illegitimate birth. These are hugely
                        difficult to figure out.
                        For example, My grandmother's sister went to Ukraine to work, had an
                        illegitimate son, returned to the village, married later and had more
                        children. The son had the blood father's surname. Later, he detested that
                        name so much, he legally changed his surname to something else. I never
                        would have uncovered that without his daughter's testimony.

                        I would study the period around World War One carefully.
                        Build a timeline, not a pedigree, and try to fill in the events.

                        1866 - JOZSEF GURKO born

                        1884-1892 Of course conscription from 18 to 22 was expected.

                        1893 - Jozef Gurko married. The archives looked this info up for you? You
                        can do it yourself at the FHC. Pull the 1893 film of the ORIGINAL DOCUMENT,
                        it will state their village of origin.

                        1893 - 1903 - Ruzena's parents were having kids (implied). 4 kids @ 2 years
                        each +25%.

                        1914-1918 WW1
                        1918 - Most landowners flee the country but continue to own the land.

                        1936 - Anna Mickova born
                        1940s - Ruzena was teaching -so she had to be late 30s to late 40s in age.
                        1950s - Estate property was transferred to state control.

                        1960s - I would expect Ruzena and siblings to have died around this time

                        Look at this, he married right out of the military. Where was he married?
                        You cannot discount that the MIKOS was not a nomadic family.

                        Another idea is to inspect property records from the village(s) in question.
                        If the family was affluent, they undoubtedly would hold property and there
                        would be a record of this. This can be done online or via Peter Nagy.
                        http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/land.html

                        Good Luck,

                        Regard,

                        Bill

                        I used the 1995 Slovakia Census database to search the spellings of the
                        surnames to listed in your message.
                        Hudeck 0 hits, a list of alternatives was given.
                        Hudek - 108 found in 28 locations.
                        Hudcek - 46 found in 16 locations.
                        Hudecek - 167 found 65 locations.
                        Hudecz - 7 found in 5 locations.
                        Hudec - 3318 found in 587 locations.
                        From this you can see there are a variety of spellings. If yours is Hudek
                        then it is one of the lesser used spellings.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                          Bill,
                          As I've stated, I HAVE IN MY POSSESSION, I'm looking at it right now, the MARRIAGE DOCUMENT of JOZSEF GURKO, married in Brezovica (Roman Catholic), that states that he was "MESTO NARODENIA" 27 ROKOV, SPISSKA NOVA VES (IGLO). I just received this last spring. His wife, Terezia Guminszki was SL'ACTICNA. (hardly nomadic).
                          And Jozsef's occupation is listed as VEREJNY NOTAR. (I believe that's "Public Notary".
                          Also Jozsef's father was supposed to be in a titled family, but, since he was a younger son, he did not inherit a title. That means that they were in Brezovica at least since 1893.
                          This past June , Vladi Linder took closeups of their grave. I'm looking at the photo right now JOZEF GURKO 1866- 1946, TEREZIA GURKOVA 1875- 1954.
                          I cannot get any more from Anna Mikova, since I understand that she has serious health problems, and is unable to care for herself any more???? She lost her husband a year ago; and her son had to go to Prague to find work.
                          I know that if she could have, she would have talked to Vladi when he was there this June.
                          And my friend in Spisska Nova Ves isn't in much better shape. If she could have, she would have been to the Parish, and Civic records in Spisska Nova Ves, . But she's 83, with severe osteoporosis and coxartrosis, can't get around without help.
                          I've written to people in SNV and surrounding towns and villages who have surnames connected to the Gurko Family; written to them in my broken Slovak, with the help of a dictionary. Received a couple of E-mails, but nothing that led to my family cousins.
                          Been an interesting 3 years, and I've sure learned a lot about Eastern Europe

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 6, 2009
                            And, while I think of it, I have the page of a letter written to my grandmother in the 1930's from Brezovica Nad Torysa, IN GERMAN, which pretty much proves the Austria connection.
                            Tom