Help with a Hungarian term

  • ktlrchk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
      I have been struggling trying to translate a marriage document containing a Hungarian term that I cannot recognize. I was hoping that someone might help me in translating this term.

      I have posted a folder in the "Files" section of this site called Andras Vapenik. The folder contains a file called "1848 Marriage of Andras Vapenik. The document indicates that a Andras Vapenik was married on April 30, in 1848 at the age of 24. His parents were Janos Vapenik (deceased) and Ilona Varchol who resided in the village of Gencs. Andras is said to have lived in Gencs as a child but now lives in Csetnik (which is the town next to Gencs). But below this entry is a term that looks like it begins with "ga------". I have tried all kinds of letter combinations for this word but cannot find a definition. It could possibly be a continuation of a word on the line above, but I'm not sure. I have also considered that it might be the name of another village but cannot find anything in the area that resembles this word on old maps.

      Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what this entry means.
      Thanks very much,
      CK
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
        CK,
        http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ at this website you will find words used in the Slovak records. There is a list for Hungarian. You might find what you need here.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
          I believe the word is "szolgalatban," which means he was on military duty in
          Csetnik.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
            Dear Janet,
            Thank you so much. That is almost certainly the word. Several other members of my families (Kotlarcik and Muransky)were also in Csetnek
            for a time and I have always wondered why. They too were in the army so that may be the connection. Now I have to see if I can find if there was some sort of military base in Csetnek.

            Oddly, there is no further records for Andras Vapenik or his family in Csetnek. But I believe he had a daughter who was married there in 1872 (my great-grandmother).

            Thanks again Janet!
            CK

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
              Dear CK:

              There is a castle that was built in Stitnik (Csetnik)

              _Castleroute - ©títnik_
              (http://www.castleroute.hu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=422&Itemid=434)

              _http://www.castleroute.hu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=422&Ite
              mid=434_ (http://www.castleroute.hu/index.php?option=com_content&
              task=view&id=422&Itemid=434)

              The surname MURANSKY most likely comes from the nearby village of MURAN
              where there are the remains of MURAN CASTLE. My family clans BALOG and
              HRONEC comes from this region. I hope that this helps.

              Best regards,

              David