Re: [S-R] Nina Journal - 1876

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2009
      Sorry I can't help you with the translations. May be some relevant history could explain what you are looking at.
      In 1773 a cholera epidemic swept through Slovakia killing 170,000 people. Considering the impact of this many deaths I would not be surprised that it could have taken years to notify families about their members that had died.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2009
        Thanks. I think I need something more solid to come to that conclusion. There is a mix of Latin and Hungarian in the document suggesting it was recorded by the priest and if they died of cholera some 3 years earlier I expect at least the Latin would show up. And I'm certain in that scribbling there is no Latin [or abbreviated Latin] for Cholera.

        And if my memory serves correctly, conscription in that period was for two years. Someone would have returned to the village well before that three years period.

        Though there doesn't seem to be any particular wars in that region circa 1875 ... but I think it's more likely that the group froze to death on top of the Carpathians in Nov 1876 than it is likely that they died of cholera in 1873.