Recommendation: Juraj Cisarik

  • jnickel_o
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 19, 2009
      I recently engaged Juraj, jurajcisarik[at]hotmail.com, for some research in Slovakia. I'm no novice at research and can say that he did a very fine effort and plan to use him again.

      http://www.cisarik.com/
    • jtgen96
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27, 2009
        We have also engaged Juraj for some rather extended research in Slovakia. We have also done a lot of research and could tell that Juraj's skills are good. In addition, Juraj was easy to work with because he is a good problem solver and he listens and think about what you say. He also responds to you in a timely fashion. When we need more information we would feel confident to call on him.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

        > I recently engaged Juraj, jurajcisarik[at]hotmail.com, for some research in Slovakia. I'm no novice at research and can say that he did a very fine effort and plan to use him again.
        >
        > http://www.cisarik.com/

      • ddhalusker
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2009
          I have been considering Juraj myself. Would it be any trouble if
          someone could provide some additional examples of his work. I have
          talked with him he seems to understand what I am seeking.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@...> wrote:

          > We have also engaged Juraj for some rather extended research in
          Slovakia. We have also done a lot of research and could tell that
          Juraj's skills are good. In addition, Juraj was easy to work with
          because he is a good problem solver and he listens and think about what
          you say. He also responds to you in a timely fashion. When we need more
          information we would feel confident to call on him.

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" gensearch2@ wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently engaged Juraj, jurajcisarik[at]hotmail.com, for some
          research in Slovakia. I'm no novice at research and can say that he did
          a very fine effort and plan to use him again.

          > > http://www.cisarik.com/

        • Karen C
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 30, 2009
            We used Juraj as an interpreter on our visit to Slovakia in 2007 and church records research afterwards.  Having an interpreter was absolutely necessary for our visit to the townland of my husband's family as no one spoke English.  He met us in the square with some relatives (exact relatioship unknown).  We spent the days meeting several people, asking for permission for us to enter the church, looking through the cemetery and walking throughout the town.

            Afterwards, he was able to get a more detailed family tree that went back several generations.  He provided a CD which included a family tree and digital copies of church records that he found.  If there is something specific you are looking for I believe he can check ahead of time to see what records are available, for what years, etc.

            Juraj has done quite a bit of research on the churches in Slovakia.  He was able to give us quite a bit of history as you can see on his website.

            I will send you an example of the church records he provided directly to your email account.

            Good luck on your research,

            Karen

          • cmziurys
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
              Last month, I spent four days in the Gemer region with Juraj Cisarik as my researcher, guide and interpreter. Previouly, I had spent over two years researching my family in the LDS Lutheran church records but was held back by thirty years (1865-1895) of missing LDS records for Velka Poloma and Mala Poloma (now Gemerska Poloma).

              Before my arrival, Juraj contacted the minister in Gemerska Poloma and arranged for us to view and photograph my family records, allowing me to complete much of my post 1865 research on both of my grandfathers.

              In the process, Juraj also located my living relatives and I had several wonderful meetings with my second cousin and his family. However, no one in my Slovak family spoke English so having Juraj with me as my interpreter, was a necessity.

              In my experience, Juraj is an excellent researcher who is also well versed in the history of eastern Slovakia. In addition, he responds to emails in a thoughtful and timely fashion.

              Please contact me directly with any questions at cmziurys@...

              Carolyn Ziurys
            • piekielnik@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                Hi Carolyn,

                I have run into so many gaps in the FHL films. Perhaps Juraj could help me.

                May I ask what those four days cost? I assume that you had to pay his travel and lodging.

                I have always hesitated to hire someone to research the archives and parish records. Without more information I can't continue pursuing additional family history.

                Thanks,
                Carolyn (on the SR site I am nilo4rak@..., but I never use that address)
              • cmziurys
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                  Hello Carolyn,

                  During my trip to Slovakia, I stayed at the Best Western Teledom Hotel in Kosice and since Juraj lives in Kosice, he would pick me up at my hotel in the morning and would then drive me to my ancestral villages, which are about thirty miles west of Kosice. In my specific situation, I was paying about $20/hour plus mileage but you would need to contact Juraj directly with your specific circumstances for a more accurate quote of his charges. Here is the link to his website: http://www.cisarik.com

                  When Juraj and I visited the Lutheran church in Gemerska Poloma and the state office in Roznava, I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate to the minister and to the state office employee---to prove that I was researching my own family. I also had copies of my parent's birth certificates, just in case. If I had not made the trip to Slovakia with my identification, Juraj would not have been able to view my family records. However, he would have been able to complete research for me in the regional archives, in Kosice. In my case, the Kosice archive records are duplicates of the LDS microfilmed records, which I have already viewed, here in the US.

                  Hope that I have answered your questions and good luck with your research!

                  Carolyn Ziurys

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 11, 2009
                    In most cases, as Carolyn describes, the archives records you would find are
                    exactly the same as the FHL has. In general, your time would be better
                    spent elsewhere.

                    Another angle you should consider if you village is in the former Zemplin
                    County. Many Slovakia church book records still remain in the Satoraljhely,
                    Hungary archives, which was the capital of Zemplin. You might ask Juraj if
                    he has experience there. I know Mick Sura has; he extracted several pages
                    of church records from my villages that were not in the Slovakia archives.

                    Regards,

                    Bill

                    During my trip to Slovakia, I stayed at the Best Western Teledom Hotel in
                    Kosice and since Juraj lives in Kosice, he would pick me up at my hotel in
                    the morning and would then drive me to my ancestral villages, which are
                    about thirty miles west of Kosice. In my specific situation, I was paying
                    about $20/hour plus mileage but you would need to contact Juraj directly
                    with your specific circumstances for a more accurate quote of his charges.
                    Here is the link to his website: http://www.cisarik.com

                    When Juraj and I visited the Lutheran church in Gemerska Poloma and the
                    state office in Roznava, I needed to show a copy of my birth certificate to
                    the minister and to the state office employee---to prove that I was
                    researching my own family. I also had copies of my parent's birth
                    certificates, just in case. If I had not made the trip to Slovakia with my
                    identification, Juraj would not have been able to view my family records.
                    However, he would have been able to complete research for me in the regional
                    archives, in Kosice. In my case, the Kosice archive records are duplicates
                    of the LDS microfilmed records, which I have already viewed, here in the US.

                    Hope that I have answered your questions and good luck with your research!

                    Carolyn Ziurys

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, piekielnik@... wrote:

                    > Hi Carolyn,
                    >
                    > I have run into so many gaps in the FHL films. Perhaps Juraj could help
                    me.

                    > May I ask what those four days cost? I assume that you had to pay his
                    travel and lodging.

                    > I have always hesitated to hire someone to research the archives and
                    parish records. Without more information I can't continue pursuing
                    additional family history.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Carolyn (on the SR site I am nilo4rak@..., but I never use that address)

                  • nilo3rak
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                      Hi Bill,

                      Thanks for the tips. I have more questions. These archives are they indexed? If not, then the quality of the searches depends on how much information I can give. What about my best hunches - should they be included?

                      Cost is a very big concern. I am currently funding all the DNA testing (but I am lucky that family members agree to give samples). What is a fair hourly rate? What about other costs? Is there any advantage to physically being in the country?

                      What suggestions do you have for researching in the part of old Arva County that were taken by Poland in 1920? I am especially interested in Jablonka and Pekelnik. None of the parish records have been microfilmed by FHL.

                      So many questions, so little time and money, but hooked forever on genealogy.
                      Carolyn

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                        Hi Carolyn,

                        I presume you are speaking of the Hungary Archives? I don't know anything
                        about how they are indexed. The church records there are not microfilmed
                        by the FHL. To keep your costs down, I would advise hiring someone who
                        has done it before. The more info and the narrower the focus the better.
                        All info should be included, and any "hunches" should be stated as such.
                        The more narrow your request the lower the work/cost. That said, I'd ask
                        for digital photocopies of registers from your village. That way, you
                        build the tree yourself (saves time/$) and ensure that with records in
                        hand, you can find later things that may have been overlooked.

                        The only advantage to being there is that you get to see and touch the
                        actual record books. This can be an encumberance, since most archives
                        like to know when you're coming and coordinating your guide. The downside
                        is that it is apt to cost you more. The other downside is if you get
                        there and find there are no records for your village, you are out of luck
                        and just wasted a lot of time. A researcher can find out first if there
                        is anything before any big commitment happens.

                        the other downside I see to visiting archives is that if you do get a lot
                        of information what will you do next with it? I find that doing the
                        paper research at home first, including the registers is superior. It
                        primes the pump - it gets you thinking about what you now need to know
                        next, and have a boatload of questions to take with you when you do go
                        visit.
                        I had studied my registers so completely before I left, that I knew more
                        than the villagers, but was also able to ask much smarter questions when I
                        got there and not waste time on stuff nobody knew about. Much better use
                        of your time.

                        The other important reason to have someone experienced go is that if you
                        inquire about the Slovakia records directly, the Hungary archive will
                        deny holding them. Ostensibly they were all to be repatriated to the
                        successor county in 1920. For many logistical reasons that did not
                        happen. You need someone who knows how to get to the records and make
                        requests appropriately.

                        Also, to keep costs down, hire someone who does not live a zillion
                        kilometers from the archive you need.

                        I do not know anything about DNA hourly rates. With regard to researchers
                        to the archives, if you stick with the folks recommended by others on this
                        list, you will be OK. Simply put, there are very, very few people who do
                        this work in Slovakia, so there is no real market price benchmark.

                        I did only a very little Poland research, in the south east sector of
                        Poland which was eliminated during Operation Vistula. From what I recall
                        all work must be handled by correspondence directly with Poland archives
                        or by hiring a researcher. I did my work directly, so I have no contacts
                        with Poland researchers. As far as I know, the FHL has no agreement with
                        Poland to film, but I could be mistaken.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Bill

                        Bill Tarkulich
                        http://www.iabsi.com
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                          >>> These archives are they indexed? If not, then the quality of the searches depends on how much information I can give. What about my best hunches - should they be included? <<<

                          To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

                          The films are LISTED but NOT indexed. You need to follow evry logical path for births, deaths, marriages.

                          >>> Cost is a very big concern. <<<
                          Each film rental is about $6 and is good for a month. Three successive rentals make the film permanent at your Family History Center. The records at the Slovak Archive are EXACTLY the same as the LDS films. There is no need to pay someone to do this reserach for you.
                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                            hi Carolyn - I do know someone who is a Slovak genealogist and really good in the Spis and Orava regions of former Slovakia now Poland. We led a number of tours there and some of the tour members were engaged with our tenealogist in filming records in churches, a bottle of spirits often helped pave the way. In this country Karen Melis has done a lot of work in the Spis Poland villages and is involved in a DNA project too. Contact me directly for more info. Paul Bighman had a Targ e-newsletter that covers the Spis Poland and Orava Poland area but  haven't heard from him recently. This region is incredibly beautiful with a totally different panorama of the Carpathians than on the Slovak side.

                            What I found fascinating is that few of the almost 2,000 people I have taken there have found direct ancestor's head stones but 3 sisters did - they hit the jackpot in your region, the neighboring village of Czarny Dunajec with a gravestone of their great grandmother!

                            I do hope you get to the villages there one day - they are lovely - have an  old book that shows the wonderful ridge poles from the wooden homes of Piekelnik, they had protective motifs and one even had a place for an egg to be set in!

                            helene

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                              Thanks Helene,

                              Hope to get to Cleveland in time for Happy Hour. Staying until Sunday, so I'll be sure to see you.

                              I appreciate any information that you can share with me - name of that genealogist and which records were filmed. Is there any chance you could bring that "old book" to the conference?

                              Cheers,
                              Carolyn

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                              > hi Carolyn - I do know someone who is a Slovak genealogist and really good in the Spis and Orava regions of former Slovakia now Poland. We led a number of tours there and some of the tour members were engaged with our tenealogist in filming records in churches, a bottle of spirits often helped pave the way. In this country Karen Melis has done a lot of work in the Spis Poland villages and is involved in a DNA project too. Contact me directly for more info. Paul Bighman had a Targ e-newsletter that covers the Spis Poland and Orava Poland area but  haven't heard from him recently. This region is incredibly beautiful with a totally different panorama of the Carpathians than on the Slovak side.
                              >
                              > What I found fascinating is that few of the almost 2,000 people I have taken there have found direct ancestor's head stones but 3 sisters did - they hit the jackpot in your region, the neighboring village of Czarny Dunajec with a gravestone of their great grandmother!
                              >
                              > I do hope you get to the villages there one day - they are lovely - have an  old book that shows the wonderful ridge poles from the wooden homes of Piekelnik, they had protective motifs and one even had a place for an egg to be set in!
                              >
                              > helene

                            • helene cincebeaux
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 12, 2009
                                hi Carolyn - tried to reply to you directly but the spam thing got me - look forward to meeting you! The book is incredibly old and fragile but i will scan and send those Piekelnik pages when i get back - leaving tomorrow at 5 am to set up our folk dress exhibit - if anyone would like more info on this exhibit - e mail me - it will be near the conference hotel  at the FCSU.

                                Between preparing to dress some 22 mannequins for the exhibit and a dozen people for the parasde of kroj on fri. nite and perpare my slide presentation for Fri afternoon I am overwhelmed- as we ealways say "it all sounded like a good idea at the time!"

                                My husband is packing my car and worrying about my visibility  - too too many boxes,  know it will be great when it is all up and done.

                                can't wait to meet you - have some 33 people who responded!

                                helene