Snina Journal - 1876

  • jnickel_o
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2009
      I've come across a FHL film of records from Szinna, Zemplen, Hungary now Snina Slovakia. It contains a set of records not listed in the film notes.

      For the lack of a better word I think it's a journal or diary of events. Part of problem is, as few words are used, they're in old Hungarian and often abbreviations and/or just bad handwriting.

      I've uploaded a page I have a particular interest in into the files section.

      File name: 1793686 - [1868-1881] Page 220_007.jpg
      Subject: Snina Journal 1876.

      It's a journal of events [I think] occurring in Nov and Dec of 1876. I'm interested in an interpretation of lines 266 through 278; most of which is a list of names which I don't need help with. What I do need help with is line 266, 277, and 278.

      Line 266, I'm speculating says that two people Bakos and Rebits on the 28th of November have come to the town and informed the families of the following ... [csaldi is a Hungarian word related to family name or family]

      Line 267, Vajda, Janos is dead.
      Lines 268 through 276 is a list of names of other people that are also dead.
      Line 277. Says something about the military ...
      Line 278 Names a man Kdoviscin Hrezsik Pal with some abbreviation of something and he's dead.

      I'm assuming that the people listed did not all die on 28 Nov but rather Bakos and Rebits came to Snina on the 28th with the news that they died.

      I'm very much interested in the man on line 278. I've checked the death records for that village and he's not in them.

      Any confirmation or further interpretation would be appreciated.