Re: [S-R] New to the group; I'm looking for the family of my grandmother's brother

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
      Hey there,
      I just noticed that another link is missing: http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/

      This is actually a monolingual dictionary/text on morphology/gazetteer/and census database.  Everything links up to what Michael has already written for the surname database/census info... but the other stuff, while fun for some of us (tis the best Slovak dictionary!), can be frustrating if you don't know what to disregard.

      Take the word "svit," for example. It means shine or light, or brilliance.  If you put it in the database, you first get a dictionary entry, then a grammar entry, then a thesaurus. Then, you get another dictionary entry, a historical dictionary entry, then the gazetteer entry for the Spis town, ending with the census info- first with Svit as a surname, then the surnames found in the town of Svit.

      You get the idea... :-D
      Have fun!!
      Ben