Re: [S-R] Seeking Information CERNER, SUPANCIC, ZUPANCIC

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2009
      Sandi,
      Bratislava is the capitol of Slovakia. Its history begins around 900. This was also about the time the territory that is now Slovakia came under the rule of Hungary. The Austro-Hungarian Empire was created in 1867 and carved up after World War I. That is when Czechoslovakia was created. Finally, in 1993 Slovakia became an independent country. The only time Austria had anything to do with Slovakia was during the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Even then it was a dual Monarchy where Hungary was independent of Austria. They just shared the same king.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bratislava

      From: goderrygo@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 19:58:11 -0700

      Michael,

      Agnes Cerne, was great grandmother...of course that is American spelling...I don't know about the old country spelling, but thank you so much for your discovery!

      The Zupanic (Agnes' husband) was Franc...my grandmother was Katherine Supancic and her siblings that came to this country were Rudy (Ignac), Anthony, Agnes and Lena. Not sure of proper Slovak versions of those names. I've recently come to know that the Supancic was likely originally Zupancic or close to that. I'm anxious to look up the town you referenced on the map! Thanks so very much for that information.

      Sandi

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      From: mgmojher@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:49:48 -0700

      Sandi,
      Ellis Island has a list of 460 Zupancic, 17 of Supancic and 544 Cerne names. Since you gave no given names no way to check.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2009
        Well...I have been barking up the wrong tree, evidently. Just discovered a paper trail reference to Ljubljana, Slovenia is where I am supposed to be. Thank you for all your assistance!!

        Sandi

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        From: mgmojher@...
        Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:02:52 -0700