Re: [S-R] The Immigrant Experience

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
      Michael
      I'm sorry I didn't explain clearly. It was not the S-R site where I think I picked up my problems...it was Footnote.My problems could be from a number of sources, so I don't want to be finger pointing. I only mentioned it here because Jody mentioned she had problems after visiting footnote, and I seemed to have had the same experience.
      Quickly, while I have your ear; THANK YOU to You, Bill T. and Helen C. and all the contributors for all the information and encouragement I've gleaned from this site.
      Larry Kocik

      From: Jody Gonda

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Sent: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC)

      Okay, so far I am ok - but thanks for the warning.

      Jody

      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 2:49 PM

      Sorry to have to report that the site is cool, but it gave my pc a virus, so beware.

      Caye

      From: Jody Gonda

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 6:25 AM

      Wow! Thank you, for letting us know of this site. It really is so interesting to read.

      Jody

      From: nilo3rak

      Subject: [S-R] The Immigrant Experience

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 11:09 PM

      This site

      http://www.gjenvick .com/Steerage/ index.html

      gives newcomers to genealogy insights and much information on their ancestors' journey from the Old World to the New World in pre-WWI.

      Old-timers who have been researching for awhile can find a lot here to add to their own family stories of the difficulties and hardships, including sanitation on board (or lack of it), wretched quality of food, originating paper work, styles of dress, arriving at Ellis Island,and so on.

      I am giving many of the articles a second viewing, to get my own
      ackground base of information before I begin to write and rewrite my family's history. But then, I want my grandchildren and all their children to know what kind of strong, practical, hard-working, and courageous people that they come from; to make sure, I will tell them!

    • nilo3rak
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
        I have visited this site many times - in fact it is running now on another tab. My fire wall, Zone Alarm, keeps most things out. Norton Anti-virus is also at work.

        I did a system scan and have found no intruders. I suggest you should do the same.

        My computer sometimes acts a little strange after visiting Facebook. Just like Twitter that site can be a little flaky.

        Whatever afflicted your computer, and if you feel it came from the site I recommended, I am truly sorry. Let me know how you resolve
        your problem.

        Computers are wonderful tools for communicating information. In an ideal world they should be easy to use, free, and uncorrupted.
        Carolyn

      • lkocik@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
          I realize this thread is digressing into subjects that aren't related to Slovak genealogy...but I just want to say again that I'm not accussing anybody of anything.
          I noticed a posting that said someone was having problems with their p.c. after visiting Footnotes site for the free 1930's cencus information. I only stated I seemed to have the same experience. Since my comment was not Slovak genealogically related I'm sorry I posted it and if I offended anyone I'm sorry for that too.... so o.k. I'll eat a worm now.