Seeking Information CERNE, SUPANCIC, ZUPANCIC

  • goderrygo
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7 3:26 PM
      Seeking my Granny's maiden name and her mother's maiden name. Have not found records of their voyage to America, yet. Her father came first, and family came to America in 1912.
      Is anyone familiar at all with the names?
      Thanks so much!
      Sandi
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7 4:54 PM
        Entered your three surname spellings in the 1995 Slovakia Census.
        Cerne had no surname hits. As Cierne there were two towns.
        Supancic had no hits. The alternative given was Zupancic. There were 7 listings and all of them lived in Bratislava. There were also 7 Zupanicicova (female form), 6 lived in Bratislava.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7 5:49 PM
          Sandi,
          Ellis Island has a list of 460 Zupancic, 17 of Supancic and 544 Cerne names. Since you gave no given names no way to check.

          Entered your three surname spellings in the 1995 Slovakia Census.
          Cerne had no surname hits. As Cierne there were two towns.
          Supancic had no hits. The alternative given was Zupancic. There were 7 listings and all of them lived in Bratislava. There were also 7 Zupanicicova (female form), 6 lived in Bratislava.

          Seeking my Granny's maiden name and her mother's maiden name. Have not found records of their voyage to America, yet. Her father came first, and family came to America in 1912.
          Is anyone familiar at all with the names?
          Thanks so much!
          Sandi

        • CASSANDRA MITCHELL
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 7:58 PM
            Michael,

            Agnes Cerne, was great grandmother...of course that is American spelling...I don't know about the old country spelling, but thank you so much for your discovery!

            The Zupanic (Agnes' husband) was Franc...my grandmother was Katherine Supancic and her siblings that came to this country were Rudy (Ignac), Anthony, Agnes and Lena. Not sure of proper Slovak versions of those names. I've recently come to know that the Supancic was likely originally Zupancic or close to that. I'm anxious to look up the town you referenced on the map! Thanks so very much for that information.

            Sandi

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            From: mgmojher@...
            Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:49:48 -0700

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7 8:01 PM
              Bratslava shows as at base of mountains with river nearby..that jives with information (stories and descriptions) from my Grandmother. Does anyone know if this area was originally Austria?
              Thanks!

              Sandi

              To: slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com

              From: mgmojher@...
              Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:49:48 -0700

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7 9:14 PM
                Try Cierny. It means "black." It gives a lot less names that I expected!

                Priezvisko ČIERNÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 23×, celkový počet lokalít: 21, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                MALACKY, okr. BRATISLAVA-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 MALACKY) – 2×;
                VEĽKÁ LEHOTA (obec LEHOTA POD VTÁČNIKOM), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 2×;
                ŠALKOVÁ (obec BANSKÁ BYSTRICA), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 1×;
                BRESTOVANY, okr. TRNAVA – 1×;
                DUNAJSKÁ STREDA, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA – 1×;
                GABČÍKOVO, okr. DUNAJSKÁ STREDA – 1×;
                GALANTA, okr. GALANTA – 1×;
                HNÚŠŤA, okr. RIMAVSKÁ SOBOTA – 1×;
                NEMČICE, okr. TOPOĽČANY – 1×;
                PARTIZÁNSKE, okr. TOPOĽČANY (od r. 1996 PARTIZÁNSKE) – 1×;

                Priezvisko ČIERNY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 753×, celkový počet lokalít: 185, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                ŽAŠKOV, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN – 28×;
                MARTIN, okr. MARTIN – 25×;
                ŠALKOVÁ (obec BANSKÁ BYSTRICA), okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 23×;
                LUTILA, okr. ŽIAR NAD HRONOM – 21×;
                ZVOLEN, okr. ZVOLEN – 20×;
                ŽIAR NAD HRONOM, okr. ŽIAR NAD HRONOM – 19×;
                PETRŽALKA (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 19×;
                BANSKÁ BYSTRICA, okr. BANSKÁ BYSTRICA – 16×;
                RUŽINOV (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 16×;
                PROCHOT, okr. ŽIAR NAD HRONOM – 15×;