Re: [S-R] The Immigrant Experience

  • Jody Gonda
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
      Wow!  Thank you, for letting us know of this site.  It really is so interesting to read.

      Jody

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009

        Sorry to have to report that the site is cool, but it gave my pc a virus, so beware.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
          Okay, so far I am ok - but thanks for the warning.

          Jody

        • lkocik@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
            ever since visiting the site my p.c. is very sluggush and I keep getting "not responding". I don't think it's an actual virus, but more of a trojan that one of the sponers on that site is using...I guess it's true that nothing's free.
            Larry

            From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 2:49 PM

            From: Jody Gonda

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

            Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 6:25 AM

            From: nilo3rak

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
              Larry,
              I'm a Comcast subscriber also and a member of S-R. I have had no problems with Trojans or a virus from this site. McAfee provided by Comcast has caught any of those. If you have McAfee scan your computer.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
                Michael
                I'm sorry I didn't explain clearly. It was not the S-R site where I think I picked up my problems...it was Footnote.My problems could be from a number of sources, so I don't want to be finger pointing. I only mentioned it here because Jody mentioned she had problems after visiting footnote, and I seemed to have had the same experience.
                Quickly, while I have your ear; THANK YOU to You, Bill T. and Helen C. and all the contributors for all the information and encouragement I've gleaned from this site.
                Larry Kocik

                From: Jody Gonda

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Sent: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 19:09:39 +0000 (UTC)

                From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 2:49 PM

                From: Jody Gonda

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 6:25 AM

                From: nilo3rak

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
                  I have visited this site many times - in fact it is running now on another tab. My fire wall, Zone Alarm, keeps most things out. Norton Anti-virus is also at work.

                  I did a system scan and have found no intruders. I suggest you should do the same.

                  My computer sometimes acts a little strange after visiting Facebook. Just like Twitter that site can be a little flaky.

                  Whatever afflicted your computer, and if you feel it came from the site I recommended, I am truly sorry. Let me know how you resolve
                  your problem.

                  Computers are wonderful tools for communicating information. In an ideal world they should be easy to use, free, and uncorrupted.
                  Carolyn

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
                    I realize this thread is digressing into subjects that aren't related to Slovak genealogy...but I just want to say again that I'm not accussing anybody of anything.
                    I noticed a posting that said someone was having problems with their p.c. after visiting Footnotes site for the free 1930's cencus information. I only stated I seemed to have the same experience. Since my comment was not Slovak genealogically related I'm sorry I posted it and if I offended anyone I'm sorry for that too.... so o.k. I'll eat a worm now.