Ignac to Jim

  • nilo3rak
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
      Working in the mines of western Pennsylvania, my grandfather became Jim. I always supposed it was easier and quicker for some of the managers to say, "Jim" instead of Ignac.

      I found other instances of the Jim to Ignac transition. Renaming in this case seems to be an American cultural response in favor of a one-syllable name. On the other hand, perhaps grandfather felt more American with his new name.
    • mike-davidson@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2009
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <piekielnik@...> wrote:

        > Working in the mines of western Pennsylvania, my grandfather became Jim. I always supposed it was easier and quicker for some of the managers to say, "Jim" instead of Ignac.
        >
        > I found other instances of the Jim to Ignac transition. Renaming in this case seems to be an American cultural response in favor of a one-syllable name. On the other hand, perhaps grandfather felt more American with his new name.

        my great grand father was a ignatz everyone called Nate he also worked in Pa mines but dont know when he came over wish i did.