Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

  • charles tintera
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1 2:20 PM
      Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

      According to the St. Procopius Church Registry my father's first name was
      Vaclav at birth but on every other record that I have he is named James or
      James B.

      I have the impression that it was a common thing to change a child's name
      from a Slovak or Bohemian first name to the equivalent in American-English.

      But why that choice, what is the relation of the name "Vaclav" to the name
      "James"? They do not seem to correspond at all to me.

      Charles "Chuck" Tintera

    • vladtepic
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2 1:58 PM
        Chuck,

        By the way you wouldn't be referring to St. Procops Church in Cleveland as you know they probably will be closing.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 2:40 PM
          Hi,

          Since there was no customary transliteration of the name, it's entirely up
          to the immigrant. To make a generalization "why" would be folly. The
          specific reason may have been very different for each person. As such, the
          reason is usually lost to time, leaving you to wonder forever. Many
          "wondering" researchers around these parts!!!

          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/genealogy/surnames/cr
          ef-given-names.pdf

          Bill
        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2 4:59 PM
            Although I would agree with Bill that immigrants could choose any name they
            wished, if you will Google "Vaclav James" you will find literally hundreds
            of cases, perhaps more, where Vaclav was Americanized to James. I tried it
            also with the related name Wenceslaus with only rare instances of changes to
            James, though there was one person who was listed as Vaclav Wenceslaus
            "James."

            Trying the same thing with the Hungarian form of the name, Vencel, you also
            get many instances of changes to James.

            I suspect that its origin is Biblical. That is, where you find James in an
            English Bible, you would find Vaclav (or Wenceslaus, or Vencel) in the other
            language Bibles.

            Janet

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2 8:02 PM
              Václav (Czech pronunciation: ['va?tslaf]) is a Czech male first name, sometimes translated into English as Wenceslaus or Wenceslas . These forms are derived from the old Slavic/Czech form of this name: Vencslav. In the Czech calendar, the saint day of Saint Václav (Wenceslas I, Duke of Bohemia) is celebrated on 28 September as a state holiday. "Václav" is in many cases informally shortened to Vasek.

              The name James is derived from the same Hebrew name as Jacob, meaning "holds the heel" (in the Genesis narrative, Jacob was born grasping Esau's heel and later bought his birthright).

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2 8:13 PM
                On the list English Versions of Foreign Names Czech and Slovak have no given equivalent to James. Hungarian had Imre and Polish had Dymitry.

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2 10:10 PM
                  Just to add into the Vaclav thread, Emperor Charles IV (the father of the Czech lands) wrote a history of Sv. Vaclav in Latin. This was an anomality, as kings usually didn't spend time with the pen, but thankfully Charles IV did.  In Latin, Vaclav is Wenceslaus, and hence the English name as well.  I have a copy of this in Latin and English....

                  One very overlooked reason that people change thier names upon emigrating is that they get sick of hearing thier names butchered.  So, the immigrant is left with two options after a while when people can't pronounce his name- he will either introduce himself and "butcher" his own name into English phonetics (or the local phonetics....) or he will take on an easier name- like Jack instead of Slavomir (not often so drastically as I just demonstrated).  The third, and not often met, option is to be stubborn about the pronunciation of his name, which doesn't make him the most welcome company.

                  Figuring out why a name changes is usually futile, unless that subject is still alive.
                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 3 6:24 AM
                    My argument would have held more weight had I found that Vaclav/Wenceslaus
                    and James had the same feast day, but, alas, they do not.

                    On the other hand, going back further, the name James has its origins in the
                    Hebrew name Jakov/Jaakov. Could Jakov and Vaclav in turn be related?

                    How are the names of Jesus' disciples named in a Czech Bible?

                    Janet

                    _____

                    --- On Sun, 8/2/09, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast.

                    From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast. <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net> net>
                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 11:13 PM

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 3 8:38 AM
                      James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                      Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                      So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                      Joe

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 3 9:29 AM
                        However, I still don't see how that explains the enormous number of Vaclavs
                        (and Hungarian Vencels) who changed their name to James. To me there are way
                        too many to be merely coincidental, though I may well be wrong.

                        The answer is probably found in the publication "The Americanization of
                        Czech Given Names" by Dudek. Unfortunately, from what I can see it is
                        available only through JSTOR, to which I am not subscribed. Perhaps a
                        subscriber could look it up for us.

                        Janet

                        _____

                        James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                        Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                        So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the
                        name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come
                        to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                        Joe

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 3 11:03 AM
                          Joe,
                          In the Rootsweb's English Versions of Foreign Names Jakub's English version is Jacob. Under James Czech and Slovak blocks are left blank, indicating that there is no equivalent name for James in those languages.

                          James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                          Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                          So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                          Joe

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 3 11:18 AM
                            Janet,
                            From this website: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jacob

                            Etymology
                            From Late Latin Iacobus < Ancient Greek ??????? < Hebrew ???? (ya'aqov, heel-grabber) < ??? ('akev, heel of the foot). Cognate with James of the New Testament.

                            Related terms
                            a.. James and its variants
                            a.. Jake, Jay, Jacques
                            Cognate meaning a "common ancestor of origin". So it appears there is a justification for the two being exchanged.

                            My apologies Joe, Jakub in Slavic languages is translated as Jacob and James.

                            James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                            Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                            So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the
                            name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come
                            to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                            Joe

                          • Tom Geiss
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 3 11:39 AM
                              Just like my grand mother's brother's name is JOZSEF. and my American relatives hear it pronounced, then write his name JOSKA. The evolution of names.
                              Tom
                              In the Rootsweb's English Versions of Foreign Names Jakub's English version is Jacob. Under James Czech and Slovak blocks are left blank, indicating that there is no equivalent name for James in those languages.

                              James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                              Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                              So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                              Joe

                            • Michael Mojher
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 3 12:13 PM
                                Tom,
                                Joska is the diminutive of Jozsef. The equivalent to our Joey.

                                Just like my grand mother's brother's name is JOZSEF. and my American relatives hear it pronounced, then write his name JOSKA. The evolution of names.
                                Tom
                                In the Rootsweb's English Versions of Foreign Names Jakub's English version is Jacob. Under James Czech and Slovak blocks are left blank, indicating that there is no equivalent name for James in those languages.

                                James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                                Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                                So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                                Joe

                              • jenna-m
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 3 12:40 PM
                                  Another aspect on name changes. A few years back in one of my evening classes, over half the class was foreign born. Three men in particular who were Russian, wanted to not be called at all by their names on the roster. Even though they had what I thought were beautiful sounding names.,,names like Yevgeny...and preferred to be called and write on their papers names like "Gene." When I asked why thet would prefer such Americanized names when their given names might be attractive to Americans...they seemed leery as though that had not been their experiences. They also told me they wanted to disassociate with their past. One, I helped after school work on his resume, and again when I asked why he put "Bill" on his resume instead of his given name...he said only I thought his name was beautiful, here. Thought that people made (negative) assumptions about him based on his name. It seemed obvious that he had experienced discrimination  based on his name and
                                  wanted to improve his odds of getting a job as well as dissociating from bad times "back home."

                                  I'd also add that the other two had a lot of energy about stating that they were Russian Jews, and proceeded to tell the class about the pogroms in Russia.

                                  Jenna

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 3 1:00 PM
                                    Hey there Mike et al...
                                    Just a quick correction. "Joska" is an objective case of the name.  While I am avoiding walking down the magical path of Slovak grammar, the nominative- and therefore the good case to use in English, is Josko. To je Josko- This is Josko.  To je pre Joska- This is for Josko.
                                    Just to be a little help...
                                    Ben

                                    Joska is the diminutive of Jozsef. The equivalent to our Joey.

                                    Just like my grand mother's brother's name is JOZSEF. and my American relatives hear it pronounced, then write his name JOSKA. The evolution of names.
                                    Tom
                                    In the Rootsweb's English Versions of Foreign Names Jakub's English version is Jacob. Under James Czech and Slovak blocks are left blank, indicating that there is no equivalent name for James in those languages.

                                    James is Jakub in Czech, coming from Hebrew meaning to take by the heel.

                                    Vaclav is a native Slavic name, coming from roots meaning greater glory.

                                    So the names are completely unrelated. Your Vaclav probably just picked the name James to go by. Think of all the Chinese university students who come to America today and pick an arbitrary English name to use.

                                    Joe

                                  • Ron Matviyak
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 3 8:24 PM
                                      Just a quick addition to Ben's comment to recognize a potential point of confusion: Joschka is also a German first name, diminutive (as in Johnny), but does not change case as in the Slovak Joska. Of course spelling may vary by personal choice, adding to the confusion.

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey there Mike et al...
                                      > Just a quick correction. "Joska" is an objective case of the name. While I am avoiding walking down the magical path of Slovak grammar, the nominative- and therefore the good case to use in English, is Josko. To je Josko- This is Josko. To je pre Joska- This is for Josko.
                                      > Just to be a little help...
                                      > Ben

                                    • charles tintera
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 4 4:12 PM
                                        Names: Man's name change Vaclav to James

                                        "According to the St. Procopius Church Registry my father's first name was
                                        Vaclav at birth but on every other record that I have he is named James or
                                        James B."

                                        Thank you all for your comments.

                                        I think that it is mostly likely that my father's name change from Vaclav to
                                        James was an attempt to fit in.

                                        Why choose James in lieu of Vaclav? Maybe James was a popular choice at
                                        that time (early 1900s in Chicago, Illinois) or maybe James (a single though
                                        extended ascending tone) just sounds better in English than Vaclav (two hard
                                        tones).

                                        Since none of his family remains alive and the records are scanty, at best,
                                        I recognize that there is no way to know.

                                        I am still pursuing the St. Procopius records to see if there is a record of
                                        a Roman Catholic Confirmation - perhaps he adopted "James" at that time and
                                        used it thereafter eventually substituting a "B" for the "V" as his middle
                                        initial. His name would have progressed from Vaclav to Vaclav James, to
                                        James (Vaclav), to James V. and finally to James B.

                                        Interesting to speculate, impossible to prove.

                                        cvt

                                        Charles "Chuck" Tintera

                                      • Ben Sorensen
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 4 9:21 PM
                                          Hmm... As I read this, I think that there is an interesting reason- perhaps- for the middle initial becoming a B.  It is ingenious.... :-) on your ancestor's part!

                                          In azbuka- or the Russian alphabet- the sound of V is spelled with what looks like a Latin B.  Perhaps, though it is hard to prove, he was actually using the azbuka for his middle initial instead of the Latin letter!
                                          Ben