New to the group; I'm looking for the family of my grandmother's brother

  • editdomjan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
      Dear Slovak-Roots members,
      I'm new to the group, and I live in Hungary. My grandmother's name is Katalin Kurucz and she was born in 1931, in Tardoskedd (Tvrdosovce), Slovakia. He had a brother whose name was Vince(nc) Kurucz. He lived in Slovakia. As far as I know, he had 3 children: Vincenc, Antonin and Miroslav. They still live in Slovakia. I would like to find them and their families. The name of my grandmother's father was Vince Kurucz too, and the maiden name of my grandmother's mother was Mária Zsilinszky (Zilinsky).
      I'm also looking for the family of Ruzena Hubková who was/is the cousin of my grandmother. We got the last letter from her in 1975. Then her address was: Kar Svétlé 28, Rumburk alu Décin, 40801. (I'm not sure whether I wrote it correctly.)
      I would really appreciate any help.
      Sincerely,
      Edit
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
        Edit,
        I searched the Slovakia 1995 Census for your relatives.

        V obci TVRDOSOVCE (okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY) ; KURUCZ 26 @and KURUCZOVÁ 28 @.
        In 1995 they found 559 Kurucz living in 121 locations. Kuruczova had 578 in 126 locations
        The online telephone directory for Tvrdosovce had a dozen or more listings. http://www.zoznam.sk/
        Kurucz had a 163 listing in all of Slovakia and Kuruczova had 109.

        A search for a place named Rumburk alu Decin had not hits. I looked in the index of my Slovakia road atlas and found no place anywhere near the spelling.

        Priezvisko ZSILINSZKÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 11×, celkový pocet lokalít: 7, v lokalitách:
        TVRDOSOVCE, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 4×;
        BÁNOV, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 2×;
        NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 1×;
        Priezvisko ZSILINSZKY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 26×, celkový pocet lokalít: 6, v lokalitách:
        TVRDOSOVCE, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 12×;
        NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY - 4×;

        Hubkova had four spellings because of the dialect marks. In the 1995 Census there were 153 living in 49 locations, none in okr. Nove Zamky.

        A search for the Postal Code 40801 had no listing.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2009
          Rumburk alu Decin is in the Czech Republic.
        • Kristina Stearley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
            Please pardon my intrusion, but how do you go about searching the 1995
            Slovakia Census? I have only been on this group a short time and am not
            aware of this resource.
            Thank you.
            Kristina

            Michael Mojher wrote:

            > Edit,
            > I searched the Slovakia 1995 Census for your relatives.
            >
            > .

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
              Kristina,
              The best thing to do if you have not used the 1995 Slovak Database before is to go to our moderator's website - http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
              At the top are link boxes. Click on Toolbox. When that window opens at the top right is a box titled Places. Within that box is Slovakia Surnames & Settlement search (instructions). Click on (instructions). This will give you some good information on using the census database.
              You are going to find that all the information presented is in Slovak. When you enter a search for the name of a village you will get it or if there is none with that spelling some alternatives will be offered. When the village window opens there is going to be a list of surnames found in the village and the number of people with that name. If you are not aware of it, surnames come in male and female forms. For women "ova" is usually added to the male surname. This is important to know because when you do a surname search it is only going to give you the form you entered. So you will have to enter the female form in order to see the results for it.
              Surnames can get very complicated. The Slovak language has dialect marks that are used. I have found that because of them a surname can have several spellings. I have found up to six. We of course do not use those marks so we do not know if the surname we are searching has them or not. In Slovakia this can be important. I have found that sometime the way the name is spelled is associated with a particular village. Above the surname is a sentence with a couple of numbers. The first number is how many people with that name were found by the 1995 census. The second number is the number of locations that name was found. Then below the surname is a list of locations and the "okr." / district it is located. If you click on the name of the village it will take you to the page with its list of surnames.

              Michael Mojher wrote:

              > Edit,
              > I searched the Slovakia 1995 Census for your relatives.
              >
              > .

            • Kristina Stearley
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
                Michael,
                Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation. I really
                appreciate it. I went to the site and explored briefly and am very
                excited by what I have found so far. I know that I want to spend much
                more time using this database. What a wonderful resource! Thank you
                again for taking the time to explain it so well.

                Kristina

                Michael Mojher wrote:

                > Kristina,
                > The best thing to do if you have not used the 1995 Slovak Database
                > before is to go to our moderator's website -
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ <http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/>
                > At the top are link boxes. Click on Toolbox. When that window opens at
                > the top right is a box titled Places. Within that box is Slovakia
                > Surnames & Settlement search (instructions). Click on (instructions).
                > This will give you some good information on using the census database.
                > You are going to find that all the information presented is in Slovak.
                > When you enter a search for the name of a village you will get it or
                > if there is none with that spelling some alternatives will be offered.
                > When the village window opens there is going to be a list of surnames
                > found in the village and the number of people with that name. If you
                > are not aware of it, surnames come in male and female forms. For women
                > "ova" is usually added to the male surname. This is important to know
                > because when you do a surname search it is only going to give you the
                > form you entered. So you will have to enter the female form in order
                > to see the results for it.
                > Surnames can get very complicated. The Slovak language has dialect
                > marks that are used. I have found that because of them a surname can
                > have several spellings. I have found up to six. We of course do not
                > use those marks so we do not know if the surname we are searching has
                > them or not. In Slovakia this can be important. I have found that
                > sometime the way the name is spelled is associated with a particular
                > village. Above the surname is a sentence with a couple of numbers. The
                > first number is how many people with that name were found by the 1995
                > census. The second number is the number of locations that name was
                > found. Then below the surname is a list of locations and the "okr." /
                > district it is located. If you click on the name of the village it
                > will take you to the page with its list of surnames.

              • Ben Sorensen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2009
                  Hey there,
                  I just noticed that another link is missing: http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/

                  This is actually a monolingual dictionary/text on morphology/gazetteer/and census database.  Everything links up to what Michael has already written for the surname database/census info... but the other stuff, while fun for some of us (tis the best Slovak dictionary!), can be frustrating if you don't know what to disregard.

                  Take the word "svit," for example. It means shine or light, or brilliance.  If you put it in the database, you first get a dictionary entry, then a grammar entry, then a thesaurus. Then, you get another dictionary entry, a historical dictionary entry, then the gazetteer entry for the Spis town, ending with the census info- first with Svit as a surname, then the surnames found in the town of Svit.

                  You get the idea... :-D
                  Have fun!!
                  Ben