Re: [S-R] Looking for an obituary - John J. Faybik

  • bemimitwo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
      I found same on ancestry for John J. Faybik But list his death as Dec 22
      1967
      11105 Long Island city Queens N.Y.
      He served military July 16 1917 to Nov 15 1958.

      jen

    • Ben Sorensen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
        The newspaper is still around... try shooting them an email to see if they have easy access to thier archives. It is worth a shot...
        Ben

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
          >>> I am looking for . . . John J Faybik <<<

          The more common spelling in Slovak phone listings is Fajbik(ova).

          Based upon my reading of Ellis Island records, I am guessing that Fajbik/Faybik was from the small Hungarian village of Viszoka, Trencsen Megye (county). The 1910 map shows Viszoka, now mapped as Vysoka nad Kysucou, 5 km east of Makov.

          CURRENT MAP
          To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

          1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg

          SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

          The Fajbik(ova) surname appears within the area code (in Stiavnik and Zilina) but not in phone listings for Vysoka nad Kysucou.

          If you care to research this hypothesis further, LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Makov, Slovakia, also known by the names of Viszoká-Makó, Trencsén-Makó, and Javornik-Cserne, Trencsén, Hungary.
        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
            Good evening,

            Thank you all who have so kindly sent info and advise regarding the above
            mentioned obituary.

            Best regards.
            Kathi
            **************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to