RE: [S-R] Looking for an obituary - John J. Faybik

  • Julie & Kevin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30 7:13 AM
      Kathi,
      I found his birthdate was Sept 1, 1896 & death date was Dec 1, 1967 from
      Astoria , Queens NY 11105 . I did a search in Legacy , but could not find
      an obit nor death certificate listed.
      Julie B in NC

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30 7:45 AM
        I found same on ancestry for John J. Faybik But list his death as Dec 22
        1967
        11105 Long Island city Queens N.Y.
        He served military July 16 1917 to Nov 15 1958.

        jen

      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30 7:49 AM
          The newspaper is still around... try shooting them an email to see if they have easy access to thier archives. It is worth a shot...
          Ben

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30 10:57 AM
            >>> I am looking for . . . John J Faybik <<<

            The more common spelling in Slovak phone listings is Fajbik(ova).

            Based upon my reading of Ellis Island records, I am guessing that Fajbik/Faybik was from the small Hungarian village of Viszoka, Trencsen Megye (county). The 1910 map shows Viszoka, now mapped as Vysoka nad Kysucou, 5 km east of Makov.

            CURRENT MAP
            To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg

            SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

            The Fajbik(ova) surname appears within the area code (in Stiavnik and Zilina) but not in phone listings for Vysoka nad Kysucou.

            If you care to research this hypothesis further, LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Makov, Slovakia, also known by the names of Viszoká-Makó, Trencsén-Makó, and Javornik-Cserne, Trencsén, Hungary.
          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30 4:23 PM
              Good evening,

              Thank you all who have so kindly sent info and advise regarding the above
              mentioned obituary.

              Best regards.
              Kathi
              **************Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to