Re: [S-R] Village in Slovakia / Svidnik

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28 8:11 PM
      Here are all the names that Svidnik has gone by in its history, since 1944 it has only been Svidnik, up until then it appears to have been two villages:
      Svidník 1944 zlúc. o. Nizný Svidník a Vysný Svidník.
      1944- Svidník
      Nizný Svidník: 1773 Alsó-Szvidnik, Nizny Swidnik, 1786 Alschó-Swidnik, 1808 Alsó-Szvidnik, Dolní Swidník, 1863-1902 Alsószvidnik, 1907-1913 Alsóvízköz, 1920-1944 Nizný Svidník
      Vysný Svidník: 1773 Felso-Szvidnik, Wissny Swidnik, 1786 Felscho-Swidnik, 1808 Felso-Szvidnik, Horní Swidník, 1863-1902 Felsoszvidnik, 1907-1913 Felsovízköz, 1920 Vysný Svidník, 1927-1944 Vysný Svidník, Vysnyj Svidnik

      You will notice that after 1920 it was spelled the way you spelled, except for the "s" being lower case.
      Some websites for Svidnik, they are in Slovak: http://mesto.sk/svidnik/ , http://www.svidnik.sk/ ,
      Photographs - http://www.flickr.com/photos/korom/sets/72157621052649789/detail/
      Article on - http://travel.spectator.sk/articles/54/
      Wikipedia on - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svidn%C3%ADk

      That should give you some information about Svidnik. I spent at day there in July, 2008. Interesting area because of its location for military purposes.