Re: Gayarsky and Polacik

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
      >>> Grandfather - (Josef, Jozef) Gayarsky (Gajarsky) from Velke Kostolany (born 1889)- arrived 3/1907 <<<
      The surname exists today in Velke Kostalany phone listings. Located southwest of Piestany.

      To see if church records ar archived, use the following reference:

      LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
      Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

      LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census
      Nagy Kosztolán (Ve¾ké Kostalany) Film # 2189643 Item 2

      >>> Grandmother - Pauline Polacik -(listed as Paulina Palacsik) from Joko (Dobra Voda) <<<
      Village is 15 km southeast of Senica in the former Nyitra Megye (county).

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations, and conversions for Dobrá Voda, Trnava, Slovakia; formerly Dobrá Voda, Pieštany, Slovakia; and Jokeõ, Nyitra, Hungary.

      LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census
      Jökõ (Dobrá Voda) Film # 2185175 Item 3

      CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

      There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

      When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

      You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

      TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
      Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
        Here are the names Velky Kostolany has been known by through it history - Velké Kostolany PN/TA nitr. 1945 pricl. o. Zákostolany.
        1773 Nagy-Kosztolan, Gros-Kosztolan, Kostolany, 1786 Nagy-Kosztolan, 1808 Nagy-Kosztolán, Welké Kostelany, 1863-1888 Nagykosztolán, 1892-1913 Nagykosztolány, 1920 Kostolany, 1927-1948 Velké Kostolany, 1948- Velké Kostolany
        Contact Information:
        Adresa: Obecný úrad Velké Kostolany, M. R. Stefánika 800/1, 922 07, Velké Kostolany
        Tel./Fax: 033/7781102
        Tel.: 0915107289, 033/7781111, 033/7719215
        E-mail: velkekostolany@...
        WEB: www.velkekostolany.sk

        I would try sending an e-mail. Since English is the second language in schools in Slovakia there is probably someone at the City Hall you can read it. Keep the sentences simple. Give them the information about your grandfather. His birth is late enough in the century for it to be in the register at the City Hall from that they can contact any direct line relatives you may have in town. The website is in Slovak. The "Fotogaleria" / Photo Gallery is always fun to explore.

        In the 1995 Slovak Census 8 men with the surname GAJARSKÝ lived in Velke Kostolany. And there were 9 women,
        GAJARSKÁ.
        There would be a very good chance that you would have relatives living there today.
        The online telephone directory had these listings: (name and street address)
        Gajarská Andrea Hollého 105/5, Velké Kostolany
        Gajarská Ludmila Druzstevná 52, Velké Kostolany
        Gajarský Ján Druzstevná 74, Velké Kostolany
        Gajarský Ján Velké Kostolany 123, Velké Kostolany

        Here are the names Dobra Voda has been known by: Dobrá Voda
        1773 Joko, Guttenstein, Dobra Woda, 1786 Dobrá Woda, Jó-Ko, 1808 Jóko, Jókeo, Dobrá Woda, 1863-1913 Jóko, 1920- Dobrá Voda
        Your Grandmother's surnames you gave had no listings in the 1995 Census in Dobra Voda.
        Palacsik had 3 listing in all of Slovakia.
        Polacik had 397 listing. There were four different spellings depending on where the dialectic marks were. The first spelling had 123 listings, 2nd had 2, 3rd had 265 and 4th had 7.
        The important thing is you know her home village and you can search those records.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
          Thank you for the info. I will try the local FHC later today. I really appreciate how you listed the changing the film numbers, etc. of the changes in village/town/region names. I had most of the info but you put it in order for me. Thanks again.

          > The surname exists today in Velke Kostalany phone listings. Located southwest of Piestany.
          >
          > To see if church records ar archived, use the following reference:
          >
          > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil registration. Provides details of church records that are held in Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references refer to different religions. Most of these church records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
          >
          > LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census
          > Nagy Kosztolán (Ve¾ké Kostalany) Film # 2189643 Item 2

          > Village is 15 km southeast of Senica in the former Nyitra Megye (county).
          >
          > LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations, and conversions for Dobrá Voda, Trnava, Slovakia; formerly Dobrá Voda, Pieštany, Slovakia; and Jokeõ, Nyitra, Hungary.
          >
          > LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census
          > Jökõ (Dobrá Voda) Film # 2185175 Item 3
          >
          > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
          > The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.
          >
          > There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.
          >
          > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).
          >
          > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
          > You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
          >
          > TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
          > Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

        • judybrenner47
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
            Thanks you. I will start with the email approach. Your info is a great start for me. I am very grateful. I will let you know how it turns out.