Village in Slovakia

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2009
      We are looking for a village in Slovakia from which we have found the envelope for a letter dated 1922. We have looked on map quest for this village and can only find a Svidnik. Is this the same village we are looking for? Why does this town not have the first part listed, too?

      Village we are looking for: VyŠný Svidník

      Does anyone know anything about this village?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2009
        Vysny means "upper"

        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/place_name_terminology.htm

        Here is a contemporary online map.
        http://mapy.atlas.sk/
        enter the village name.

        Here is a 1910 map
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
        Look for A. vizkos = Also vizkos = Nizny Svidnik
        F. vikos = Felso vizkos =Vysny Svidnik
        In the upper right of the map.

        By the 20th century, the two villages merged into one and they dropped the
        Upper and lower designations.

        The entire village was destroyed in WWII. There is a lot of published
        history on this village. It is an important village in this region, with a
        substantial military museum and industry.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,

        Bill