Re: [S-R] New to group, researching Marincak in E. Slovakia

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
      Information from the Slovak 1995 Census
      Years and the name Hrubov was known by:
      Hrubov: 1773, 1786 Hrubo, 1808 Hrubó, Hrubowá, 1863-1902 Hrubó, 1907-1913 Rubó, 1920- Hrubov
      V obci HRUBOV (okr. HUMENNÉ) / The town of Hrubov (district of HUMENNE) surnames and number found in Hrubov:
      MARINCAK 1
      MARINCÁK 9
      MARINCÁKOVÁ 8
      BURIKOVÁ 8
      BURIK 7
      This list for Hrubov tells you there was one individual that spelled the name without the dialect mark over the "a", there are 9 men with the surname Marincak and 8 females (Marincakova). There were 7 men with the surname Burik and 8 females (Burikova).
      With that many people in Hrubov with your surname in 1995 there is a very good chance there are even more today and you should be able to connect with them.
      In the online telephone directory the following were found:
      Marincák Stefan Hrubov 48, Hrubov
      Marincaková Anna Hrubov 92, Hrubov
      Marincaková Mária Hrubov 51, Hrubov
      Burik Ján Hrubov 132, Hrubov
      Burík Jozef Hrubov 103, Hrubov
      Burik Stefan Hrubov 68, Hrubov
      Website for Hrubov information - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/hrubov/hrubov.html Hrubov's website is not online yet. When that happens they will have an e-mail address.
      Hrubov has a population of 517. My ancestral village has 550. In villages that small everyone has along the way become related to one another. They just are not aware of it because their genealogy memory only goes back a couple of generations, sometimes three.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
        Thanks johnqadam and mojher!

        That is some great info to get started with ... hey, how about that Jan Burik, 132 years old !!! ( ... I am sure they just forgot to enter his death records :-) ).

        Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts about subscription sites (i.e. ancestry.com, etc.) are any useful for central / eastern Europe?

        regards,
        Allen Marinčák
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
          >>> Any thoughts about subscription sites (i.e. ancestry.com, etc.) are any useful for central / eastern Europe? <<<

          This site + the Delphi site are about as good as it gets for Slovakia.

          Your next step is to take a trip to the LDS Family History Centre.
          1017 Prince of Wales Dr., Ottawa
          Phone: 613-224-2231
          Hours: Tuesday to Thursdays 9:30am-3:30pm, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 6:30pm-9:30pm;
          Open 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month 9:30am-12:30pm
          Closed: Mondays, Wednesday evenings and daytime on Fridays.