New to group, researching Marincak in E. Slovakia

  • tellurian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28 7:46 AM
      Hello,

      I am new to the group. I am from Canada (born here, English speaking, no Slovak I am afraid). I am researching my ancestors from Hrubov SK, in the Humenné District of eastern Slovakia. My surname is Marincak, and I have traced back my ancestry as follows from my great grand parents:

      Michal Marincak b 1868 Hrubov d 1912 Hrubov
      Alzbeta Burikova b Hrubov 18xx d 19xx Buenos Aires

      They had 4 children
      -- Michal F.Marincak b 1899 Hrubov (my grandfather)
      -- Bernard Marincak b 1902 Hrubov
      -- Anna Marincak b 1906 Hrubov
      -- Jan Marincak b 1908 Hrubov

      My grandfather was their oldest child Michal F. Marincak
      -- Michal F. Marincak b 1899 Hrubov d 1986 Canada
      -- Anna Butalova b 1904 Serenton USA d 1980 Canada

      My father was their second child
      ---- Jozef Marincak b 1927 Hrubov still living (my father)
      ---- Jovanka Curcic b 1929 Beograd Serbia still living

      Then myself...
      ------ Allen Marincak b 1957 Ottawa Canada

      Any information on the Marincak Family of Eastern Slovakia, especially relations of my great grand father Michal Marincak would be much appreciated. Also for people researching the Marincaks in Slovakia, Canada, and Argentina I may have information that could be useful.

      I am new at this so tips & suggestions as well as information are very welcome.

      Allen MArincak
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28 8:21 AM
        >>> I am new to the group. <<<

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

        >>> I am researching my ancestors from Hrubov SK, in the Humenné District of eastern Slovakia. <<<

        CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTRE (FHC)
        The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centres (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a centre, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. C$8 per film). The centre will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their centre. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.

        There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Hrubov, Slovakia, formerly Hrubó, Zemplén, Hungary.

        Inv. è. 329 Krsty 1838-1914 -- Úmrtia 1838-1947 -- Uzavreté manželstvá 1838-1933 -- Inv. 330 Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1883-1889 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792101 Items 3 - 4 ]

        Inv. è. 330 (pokraè.) Druhopisy krstov, uzavretých manželstiev, úmrtí 1890-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1792083 Item 1 ]

        LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census
        Hoporty (Sóstófalva) -- Horbokcsebinye (Èabiny u Horbka) -- Horbokradvány (Nižná Radvaò) -- Hosztavicza (Hostovice) -- Hosszúláz (Széphalom) -- Hrubó (Hrubov) Film #722709

        LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTRE AND ORDER FILM
        You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Centre (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
        Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.
      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28 12:28 PM
          Information from the Slovak 1995 Census
          Years and the name Hrubov was known by:
          Hrubov: 1773, 1786 Hrubo, 1808 Hrubó, Hrubowá, 1863-1902 Hrubó, 1907-1913 Rubó, 1920- Hrubov
          V obci HRUBOV (okr. HUMENNÉ) / The town of Hrubov (district of HUMENNE) surnames and number found in Hrubov:
          MARINCAK 1
          MARINCÁK 9
          MARINCÁKOVÁ 8
          BURIKOVÁ 8
          BURIK 7
          This list for Hrubov tells you there was one individual that spelled the name without the dialect mark over the "a", there are 9 men with the surname Marincak and 8 females (Marincakova). There were 7 men with the surname Burik and 8 females (Burikova).
          With that many people in Hrubov with your surname in 1995 there is a very good chance there are even more today and you should be able to connect with them.
          In the online telephone directory the following were found:
          Marincák Stefan Hrubov 48, Hrubov
          Marincaková Anna Hrubov 92, Hrubov
          Marincaková Mária Hrubov 51, Hrubov
          Burik Ján Hrubov 132, Hrubov
          Burík Jozef Hrubov 103, Hrubov
          Burik Stefan Hrubov 68, Hrubov
          Website for Hrubov information - http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/hrubov/hrubov.html Hrubov's website is not online yet. When that happens they will have an e-mail address.
          Hrubov has a population of 517. My ancestral village has 550. In villages that small everyone has along the way become related to one another. They just are not aware of it because their genealogy memory only goes back a couple of generations, sometimes three.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28 1:31 PM
            Thanks johnqadam and mojher!

            That is some great info to get started with ... hey, how about that Jan Burik, 132 years old !!! ( ... I am sure they just forgot to enter his death records :-) ).

            Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts about subscription sites (i.e. ancestry.com, etc.) are any useful for central / eastern Europe?

            regards,
            Allen Marinčák
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28 1:50 PM
              >>> Any thoughts about subscription sites (i.e. ancestry.com, etc.) are any useful for central / eastern Europe? <<<

              This site + the Delphi site are about as good as it gets for Slovakia.

              Your next step is to take a trip to the LDS Family History Centre.
              1017 Prince of Wales Dr., Ottawa
              Phone: 613-224-2231
              Hours: Tuesday to Thursdays 9:30am-3:30pm, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 6:30pm-9:30pm;
              Open 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month 9:30am-12:30pm
              Closed: Mondays, Wednesday evenings and daytime on Fridays.