Michigan needs our help

  • deeprootsaz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2009
      Many of us have Michigan connections. Even if you don't you can help save the genealogy library. Please read below and respond to emails provided.

      Please also feel free to send this email to any and all other genealogy groups you belong to.

      Hi Everyone:

      Michigan needs your help!!!

      I am forwarding the messages from the Michigan Genealogical Council.
      Please, if you have any interest in preserving Michigan's history, please
      follow the steps indicated below. The first message is for out-of-state
      residents. The second is for in-state residents. The third section
      describes in more detail what is happening in Michigan. The fourth section
      explains why the Michigan Genealogical Council is against the executive
      order.

      Thanks!
      Kim

      OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS:

      Thank you for your message regarding our fight to keep the Library of
      Michigan's collection intact. All voices matter.

      We would suggest that you contact Governor Jennifer Granholm and urge
      her to rethink her decision to split the collection. You may wish to
      remind her that people from out-of-state travel to Lansing to use the
      library and its fabulous collection. To reach the Governor's office,
      you can visit her website at www.michigan.gov/gov. On that page there
      is a link to the Contact the Governor page.

      We would also encourage you to contact Senator Jason Allen, Majority
      Caucus Whip, Legislative Council and Commerce and Tourism Committee.
      This is where SB518 is currently being considered. This bill would
      alter the Executive Order and save the Library. The senator's e-mail
      is senjallen@....

      Please share this with anyone who would like to give their support to our
      cause.

      Thank you for your support.

      Sincerely,

      Cynthia Grostick, President
      Michigan Genealogical Council

      IN MICHIGAN RESIDENTS:

      The Council would like to encourage everyone to contact their
      legislators (in person, by phone, or by mail - snail mail is more
      effective) to help save one of our most valuable resources. For a
      listing of Michigan legislators, you can visit the following website:

      House (http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp)

      and Senate (http://senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm)

      FROM THE MICHIGAN GENEALOGICAL COUNCIL
      PUBLIC RELEASE

      july 15, 2009

      To Whom It May Concern:

      As you may be aware, Michigan is facing a huge financial crisis.
      Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm issued Executive Order 2009-36
      dissolving the Department of History, Arts & Libraries and splitting
      the various functions between various other state departments. The
      Library of Michigan would be transferred to the Department of
      Education, and the Archives of Michigan would be transferred to the
      Department of Natural Resources. This order would take effect October
      1, 2009.

      What is of concern is Section B (8) of the Executive Order that states:

      "Unless the Superintendent finds it impracticable, these measures
      shall include, but not limited to, all of the following:

      (a) Eliminating circulation of specific collections (including, but
      not limited to, the Main, Dewey, and General Reference collections,
      the Michigan collection, the Michigan Documents collection, and the
      Rare Book collection) or, alternatively, transferring such collections
      to other suitable institutions, . . .

      (c) Suspending or eliminating participation as a participating lending
      library in MeLCat,

      (d) Eliminating or transferring to other suitable institutions the
      Federal Documents Depository and the non-Michigan genealogy
      collection."

      The Executive Order directs the Superintendent of Public Instruction
      to continue to look for ways to reduce library costs.

      Also in the Executive Order is the formation of a committee to look at
      how to further reduce costs for the next fiscal year. The Executive
      Order can be reviewed at:

      http://www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21975---,00.html

      introduced bills (SB 503 - SB 527) transferring all functions of the
      Department of History, Arts & Libraries to the Department of State.
      This would include a separate pot of money from the general fund, held
      by the Department of Treasury, for any donations. The donations that
      are not spent at the end of the fiscal year remain in the account and
      are not transferred to the general fund. These bills are currently in
      a Senate subcommittee.

      http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billanalysis/Senate/pdf/20
      09-SFA-0503-S.pdf
      .

      While the Michigan Genealogical Council understands the crises the
      state is in financially, we feel that breaking up the collection at
      the Library, which has items dating back to the 1800s, is not the
      answer. Once this collection is gone, there is no going back. This
      would be a great loss to the citizens of this state as well as those
      that come to our state to use this collection. This would also be a
      blow to all public libraries, as they receive part of their funding
      from the library and have access to MeLCat, which is the system used
      for interlibrary loan.

      Please contact your family, friends, coworkers, societies, listserves,
      and anyone else you can think and encourage them to show their support
      for the Library and its fabulous collection. Let us band together and
      save our state's history.

      Thank you for your support,

      http://mimgc.org
      president@...
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2009
        Dear Slovak Roots members,
        This is my small contribution to help. I sent this email today.
        Reen

        Dear Senator Allen,
        Please intervene and support the people of Michigan and those out of state
        as well in their efforts of keeping the archives and collections and books
        intact. History is very important and only keeping these items intact will
        allow future generations to have access to them, as is their right.
        I copied and printed this quote from Cynthia Grostick, President
        Michigan Genealogical Council because I echo her concern.
        Thank you and best wishes
        Noreen Hasior
        Peekskill, New York

        "breaking up the collection at
        the Library, which has items dating back to the 1800s, is not the
        answer. Once this collection is gone, there is no going back. This
        would be a great loss to the citizens of this state as well as those
        that come to our state to use this collection. This would also be a
        blow to all public libraries, as they receive part of their funding
        from the library and have access to MeLCat, which is the system used
        for interlibrary loan."
        Cynthia Grostick, President
        Michigan Genealogical Council

        Steps!