Olle family

  • coolkeytool
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
      I'm trying to find some information on my great grandfather: Imre Olle. I've heard stories that his father was a builder in the Buda, Hungary area before the family was requested to move to Bratislava at the turn of the 19th century. Is it possible to find his birth place or birth day or any other information?
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
        The number one piece of information you need in genealogy in order to begin searching is location. Where the person was born. And then if the did, moved to. This is what you do not have.
        In hopes of trying to help you I entered Olle in the Ellis Island records. It said there were 700 listing, but only the first 15 were with the spelling Olle. Of those two were from Hungary, "Szak" and "N. Yural".
        I then used the Fuzzy Gazetter to try and locate these places. "N. Yural" has nothing specific. Szak had a hit. It is a small town that is northwest out of Budapest towards Bratislava. http://www.fallingrain.com/world/HU/12/Szakszend.html
        I'm not saying this is where your grandfather came from, but it is the best I can come up with using online resources.
        That being the case I would go to a Hungarian Genealogy group http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/hungary/
        The surname Olle in Slovakia in the 1995 Census had 349 listings in 77 places. There were 16 spelling with no dialect marks and 333 with "apostrophe" over the "E".

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
          Are you the Milan Olle who posted similar information on Radix Forum?

          Did you mean to say that Imre lived around the turn of the 20th century
          (1900)? Is the Ellis Island record for the Olle who immigrated in 1912 your
          great-grandfather? (The name has been mistranscribed as Lnre by Ellis Island
          and Inre by Ancestry.com.) He was from Szak, also called Szakszend, in
          Hungary, south of Komarom. His destination appears to be Manhaim WV.

          If Imre was not your immigrant ancestor, what was his name and what other
          information do you have about him? What was his name and where did he live
          after he immigrated? Name of wife? Children?

          The "N. Yural" mentioned by Michael should be Nemetgurab, now Velky Grob,
          northeast of Bratislava. That would put your search in a different
          direction.

          It is also important to tell us what religion he was.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
            There is an Inre Olle shown in NY Passenger lists for the ship, Kroonland.
            States he was a single male, aged 26, birthplace: Szak, Hungary.

            Elaine

          • cheryl1249@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2009
              Thanks for these 2 pieces of interest.
              Cheryl

              Fuzzy Gazetter

              That being the case I would go to a Hungarian Genealogy group
              http://www.genealogylinks.net/europe/hungary/

              Steps!
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377077x1201454398/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
              yExcfooterNO62)

            • Milan Olle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
                Elaine,

                Thanks for your help! I don't think that person is my great grandpa. My great grandpa's grave is in Dunajska Streda, SK. It could be. At least you gave me something I can us to ask more questions with.

                Milan Olle

                There is an Inre Olle shown in NY Passenger lists for the ship, Kroonland.
                States he was a single male, aged 26, birthplace: Szak, Hungary.

                Elaine

                > I'm trying to find some information on my great grandfather: Imre Olle. I've
                > heard stories that his father was a builder in the Buda, Hungary area before the
                > family was requested to move to Bratislava at the turn of the 19th century. Is
                > it possible to find his birth place or birth day or any other information?

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2009
                  >>> My great grandpa's grave is in Dunajska Streda, SK. <<<

                  LDS has Roman Catholic and Evangelical Lutheran Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations, and conversions for Dunajská Streda, Dunajská Streda, Slovakia; formerly Dunaszerdahely (a.k.a. Ujfalu Elötejed, Nemesszeg, Szerdahely, Serdahely, Duna-Szerdahely), Pozsony, Hungary.

                  Have you researched these church records?