Names wanted please for countries

  • cheryl1249@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
      What countries were these in the past? I dislike the name changing of
      countries as much as roads and highways. Thanks in advance.
      Croatia
      Serbia
      Bulgaria
      Steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
      yExcfooterNO62)

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
        Those names have not changed. The Croats and Serbs are ethnically distinguishable peoples that lived in a specific territory. The same for the Slovaks. In 701 the Bulgarian Khanate was formed from a coalition of Turkic tribes known as the Bulgars.
        Those people and their territory were controlled at various times since 701 by different empires; Ottoman, Hungarian and Hapsburg. It was only with the break up of Yugoslavia that Croatia and Serbia got their independence.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
          Do you have a specific year or period you would like to know of? I can look that up. Or do you need to know each countries political history and what it was called when controlled by the different empires?
          Here the link to each countries Wikipedia page where you can read their history-
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgaria
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbia

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2009
            No thank you that answered my question. I just do not remember those
            countries in my history lessons. Funny what we forget.
            I will look up those references. I do not know how to look much up. I never
            had a computer class.
            Cheryl