1869 Hungarian census word translations

  • hogeljudy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
      I need help with the translation of the following items on the 1869 Hungarian census entry. The handwritten words do not correspond to the translations of the 1869 census that I found on-line. I have tried the Hungarian and Slovak language translators on line, but these words did not show up in either language. Can anyone tell me what language is being used and what the translation of these words would be? I have posted photos of the census pages in a S-R photo album entitled "1869 Hungarian census."

      What would the translation of these words be?

      Name column – words "cira" and "sin"
      (photo album examples – pictures JM–1 and MM-1). To me the "cira" seems to appear to indicate daughter and "sin" appears to indicate son. There is also a word written above the wife's name, but I cannot distinguish the letters.

      Marital status column – words "zensty/zenati", "vidata" and "slobov" (photo album examples – pictures JM–2 and MM-2).

      Occupation column – words "Rolnik" and "horpvdin" or "hospodina"
      (photo album examples – pictures JM–2 and MM-2).

      Residency, Absence or Literacy column – "z vil", "m vil", and "nevie"
      (photo album examples – pictures JM–3 and MM-3).

      Remarks column – need a translation of the remark
      (photo album examples – pictures JM–3 and close up JM-4).

      I have an additional question about the recording of the surnames. On the same family entry, why is there a variation of the spelling of the surname which involves a doubling of the consonants L and T before the final A in the name? It does not appear to follow a male-female, husband-wife or parent-child pattern.
      (photo album examples – pictures JM–1 and MM-1).
      On picture JM-1 compare individuals 1 and 2 vs. individual 5 (5 is child of 1 and 2).
      On picture MM-1 compare individual 3 vs. individual 4 and 6 (4 is wife of 3 and 6 is child of 3 and 4).

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Judy
    • Jozef
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
        Slovakian to English.
        19th century slovakian was different to modern one. It had many words influensed by czech, ukrainian, polish, hungarian and mix of them, which doesn't exist today.
        Since 1918 when we became independent from Austria-Hungary and Slovakian language was again used in schools (before it was banned by Hungarians for about 55 years) the language got official, written grammar form, which was of course the same for the whole teritorry. So many words which are still used localy especially in the eastern part of Slovakia are not official, but only local dialect. And those you will NOT find in any dictionary.

        - cira could be dcera, which means daughter.
        - sin could be syn = son
        - zenaty = married - he (man)
        - vydata = married - she (woman)
        - slobov could be slobodny (man) or slobodna (woman) = single
        - rolnik (he) = peasant
        - hospodin (he), hospodyna (she) means probably house-holder, peasant working on his own land (?).  These expressions are ancient, more ukrainian expressions.
        - z-vil and m-vil = I do not understand
        - nevie = doesn't know

        In most slavic languages, form for he and she is not the same.

        Jozef
        Slovakian temporary living in New York

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
          Dear Jozef,

          Thank you for your kind help.

          Judy

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
            Judy,
            if you need anything more, I'll try to help.

            Jozef

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
              I still am trying to figure out the remark in the JM-3 and JM-4 pictures. Prehaps you have already taken a look and could not determine what the remark is stating. So far, I have the 2nd word "Vojak" meaning soldier, the 3rd word "od" meaning to/by/of/from and 6th word "Vojska" meaning army. The 4th word looks like English "regular", but I doubt that that would be, given that the rest is in Slovak. Do you have any guesses as to what the reamark is stating?

              Thanks again for your help.

              Judy

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                Judy,
                An online Slovak dictionary says regular in Slovak and English means the same. The Slovak regular will often have some ending on it depending on how it is used.

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                  Michael, thanks for the information.

                  Judy

                  > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: mgmojher@...
                  > Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:13:34 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian census word translations
                  >
                  > Judy,
                  > An online Slovak dictionary says regular in Slovak and English means the same. The Slovak regular will often have some ending on it depending on how it is used.

                • Jozef
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                     Judy,
                    remarks in the JM-3 and JM-4 pictures are the same and for me difficult to read. I mean the handwriting.
                    But to me it looks like: "obecni vojak od regularneho vojska docasne prepusteni"

                    Michael, thanks for the information.

                    Judy

                    > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: mgmojher@...
                    > Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:13:34 -0700
                    > Subject: Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian census word translations
                    >
                    > Judy,
                    > An online Slovak dictionary says regular in Slovak and English means the same. The Slovak regular will often have some ending on it depending on how it is used.

                    which I understand means: "private temporary civilianized from regular army".
                    That 19 th century language is very strange to me.

                    Jozef

                    ________________________________

                      remarks in the JM-3 and JM-4 pictures are the same and for me difficult to read. I mean the handwriting.
                      But to me it looks like: "obecni vojak od regularneho vojska docasne prepusteni"

                      Michael, thanks for the information.

                      Judy

                      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com
                      > From: mgmojher@comcast. net
                      > Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:13:34 -0700
                      > Subject: Re: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian census word translations
                      >
                      > Judy,
                      > An online Slovak dictionary says regular in Slovak and English means the same. The Slovak regular will often have some ending on it depending on how it is used.

                      Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2009
                        A different slant-

                        'obec' = community, municipality
                        'obecni' = communal, local, from the region/area
                        'vojak od' = soldier from
                        'regularneho vojska' = regular army, as opposed to cavalry or artillery hence possibly infantry
                        'docasne' = temporary
                        'prepusteni' = leave

                        I would transliterate the phrase as '(from the locale) soldier in the regular army, on temporary leave'
                        s' pozdruvom
                        Alan