Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Feminine Surnames question

  • maryann azar
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
      Thank you so much, Frank. Helpful for all--another option how we might find
      spellings/connections.

      I am looking at a photocopy of the 1879 Mormon RC Cadca marriage records.
      You are correct, the diacritical marks are there over the letters S.
      Another mark we cannot reckon is a little symbol that looks like the
      Christian symbol "fish". The "fish" mark appears on the whole page before
      the letters A, N & M--a flourish of the writer?

      The town of Eva Strba appears to be Likopenje ? with diacritical mark ^
      over the last two letters. Hoping to figure out this town name so we can
      continue with in the films. If not a "K", any suggestions? Comparing it to
      the other letters on the page, could it be an "H"? Wondering if this could
      be a town in Poland.

      Even the writing of Cadca looks like a different spelling--C-R-A-D (with a
      swirl)-A. We are fortunate that I was able to remember from some 55 years
      ago that my father told me they were from Cadca--he said, "It is pronounced
      something like Cha-Cha." (I'm considering studying the Slovak language.
      Seems a daunting task.)

      About a year ago we sent letters in two languages to every Gabris in Cadca
      and enviorns with not a single reply. Thank you again for your kind
      assistance. Any help to point us in the right direction is greatly
      appreciated.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
        Could it be read as Zakopcie? If not, and you're still stuck, I'd be glad
        to look at it and see if my 4 (soon to be 6) eyes can make anything else
        out of it.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...