Re: Feminine Surnames question

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "maryann azar" <m.azar@m...> wrote:
      > To Frank (and all the other helpful translators here):
      >
      > I have a question generated from your informative answer to John
      Kozakiewicz's query about translation of his GF death certificate:

      > You wrote: .......GM's maiden name was Sabol rather than
      Sabolová.

      > >As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
      > >or -ová.
      > >The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate
      form
      > >of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
      > >If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added
      > >it,
      > >So Mrs. or Miss Sabolová, family name Sabol.
      >
      > Our family has been researching my grandparents names Adam Gabris
      and Eva Strba who came from Cacda, Czechchoslovakia in 1899 (now
      Republic of Slovokia).

      > We know virtually nothing of the language. After reading you
      comment about Slovak grammar, feminine surnames, could we be
      searching
      with an incorrect spelling? Should the name be searched as Strbal
      or
      Strbol, or other form?

      > The names are indicated as Adam Gabris + Josephi and Eva Strba +
      Michaeli on the 1879 marriage record from the Mormon church files.
      Her birthplace is very difficult to read--appears to be Likonpeze.

      > We have been working on this research for years. Do you happen to
      know if there is another appropriate form for the name Strba? If so,
      maybe that would lead us to a masculine connection that we have
      missed--at least we have her father's given name, Michaeli.

      > Can anyone tell me what the town Likonpeze (SP?) might be called
      now?

      > Also, anyone out there with a Gabris or Strba connection? Thank
      you
      so much for any help.

      One of most common Slavic surname affixes is the one denoting gender
      of the bearer -ová (Slovak), -owa (Polish), and -oba (Russian).

      As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská,
      or -ová.
      The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
      of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.

      If the surname is adjectival in origin , i.e., ends in -y', the ending
      changes to -á, so that wife of pán (Mr.) C^erny' would be pani
      (pi)
      (Mrs.) C^erná and their daughter would be slec^na (sl) (Miss)
      C^erná

      If surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added to
      it,
      e.g., pán Kovác^, pani Kovác^ová, slec^na
      Kovác^ová, family name
      Kovác^.

      Strba was probably spelled with Slovak diacritic letter S^ pron.
      Sh.
      Not Strbal or Strbol.
      Strba.

      Gabris was probably also spelled with Slovak diacritic letter
      s^ pron. sh.
      Then the feminine version of surname would be Gabris^ová.

      28 surname Strba are listed in the Social Security Death Index.

      http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Strba&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
      &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
      =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

      Don't know what the problem with C^adca (Sv) Csaca (H) is ?
      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 17 surname S^trba under
      C^adca.

      The directory also lists 11 surname Gabris^ and 6 surname
      Gabris^ová under C^adca.

      Incidently, the Archives at Bytc^a, where the Mormons are
      now filming records is located 18 miles SSW of C^adca.

      Given name Michael (E) Michael (G) Michael (L) Michal (Sv)
      Mihály (H)
      Church records often used the Latin version of first names.

      The Mormons filmed the R.C. matriky (1742-1909) for C^adca,
      Slovakia, formerly Csacza, Trencsén Megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.
      film # 1978902-1978905

      Likonpeze ?
      Third letter would not be a 'k'.