Re: [S-R] Newbie Intro--Surnames: Velebir, Sabanosh, Ihnat, Faber

  • MaryLou
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
      I don't see any direct connection. I do have a Michael Ihnat (1817-1866).
      Can't find Joseph Ihnat but have a Georgy Ihnat b.1819. But these are all
      too early. I tried looking at my Anna Ihnat's siblings but didn't find any
      matching names.
      Mary Lou

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2009
        MaryLou,
        Your overview was fine. The more information we have to work with the better.
        As I wrote previously, The only Maria Sabanos in the Ellis Island records was a Maria that arrived in 1923. And there were no listing for Sabanosh.
        The next step is to go directly to the Ellis Island search engine and see what alternative spelling are given and check those out.
        You pointed out that in the American records Mary is listed as being from Slovakia and her parents from Hungary. In 1920 Czechoslovakia was in existence for two years. Prior to that for 900 years the territory that is now Slovakia was part of Hungary and referred to as Upper Hungary. Mary probably used Slovak because the creating of Czechoslovakia in 1918. While her parents would have been correctly listed as being from Hungary.

        From: Michael Mojher
        Date: 7/1/2009 7:41:55 PM
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

        Since you have given so much information it would be much easier if you
        present what you want to find in small bites. Is it possible to prioritize
        what we can help you with and then begin at the top of the list and send an
        e-mail on that.