RE: [S-R] HOw do I search when I am there?

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
      There is information on this family on Ancestry.com.

      If your Morgitas lived in Miffin, Allegheny County, PA, the in 1930 the were listed as:
      Steve Margita
      Wife, Helen
      Children Helen, Steve Jr., Margaret and John E.
      Steve and Helen Margita were both 36 in 1930, making them born about 1894. They were married when they were 21 or in 1915. Steve was born in Czechoslovakia and Helen was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents were born in Czechoslovakia. Steve was naturalized.
      Steve stated he immigrated in 1920 (but the year of his marriage was 1915, so there needs to be more investigation. Maybe he came over earlier as a juvenile. It is interesting to note that a Mary Morgita (born in Hungary) lived next door. Mary was a widow with children Helen, Joseph, Frank and William living with her. She said she immigrated in 1899 and was listed as an AL, or alien.

      For both census entries of these two Morgita families, they both spoke Magyar.

      In the 1920 census, Steve Morgita said he immigrated in 1905, was an AL (alien) and even though Helen was listed as being born in Pennsylvania, she too had an AL by her name. Curious.

      On a World War I Draft card for Steve Morgita, it states he was born Nov. 4, 1894, in Austria Hungary, was naturalized and worked for Carnegie Steel.

      You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact village and port of entry.
      Hope this helps,
      Marilyn

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
        Also on natururalization paper states wittness John Galata and John Bibza ?
        It looks like sworn 1924
        good luck!
        Jennifer

      • cheryl1249@aol.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
            OK, let me try some other searches -- another question -- where did these
            relatives live in the USA? Where are they buried? What religion did they
            practice -- if you know.

            They lived in Duquesne,
            Alleganey county PA

            They are both buried in Duquesne

            They were catholic.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
              What does this highlighted area mean??

              Found on footnote.com,
              STEVE . B. march 11 1893 KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK
              and says he arrived in USA 1905. Petition for Naturalization. wife Hellen
              b.
              Feb 22 1897 Duquesne, Pa. USA
              Children Hellen B. march 11 1917, Steve b. Aug 26 1919 and Margaret
              b.Sept 15 1922.
              all born in P.O. BOX 384 , DUQUESNE PA.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                Hi,
                I don't know what highlight area you have in question?
                If you are asking about Footnote.com ? This is a pay for membership web
                site. not too bad a price to join.
                also has some free things too.

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Whoopedo! According to this, his petition for naturalization says he was
                  born in Kiralyhelmec (spelling a bit mangled in the transcription). This is
                  the Hungarian name of the town of Kralovsky Chlmec, just north of the
                  Hungarian border in eastern Slovakia.

                  This is precisely the information you need to research the family.
                  Microfilms of Roman Catholic (and Reformed) church records for this town are
                  available for you to order and read at your nearest LDS Family History
                  Center.

                  Footnote.com does seem to have access to a lot of good stuff not available
                  on Ancestry.com.

                  The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you will
                  be visiting.

                  Janet

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                    You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact
                    village and port of entry.
                    Hope this helps,
                    Marilyn

                    How do I do this?
                    Cheryl
                    PS why would one place say born in Czech and other Hungary?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2009
                      KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK

                      This is what I highlighted.

                      I understand Austria is a birthplace what are the other words? Does anyone
                      know?
                      Cheryl

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                        Cheryl,

                        For some reason my response that I sent on the 2nd was never published, so
                        here is a second attempt:

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3, 2009
                          The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you
                          will
                          be visiting.

                          Thank you anyway for this info. I appreciate it so much.
                          Cheryl
                          steps!
                          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
                          JulystepsfooterNO62)