Re: [S-R] HOw do I search when I am there?

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 2 8:03 AM

      Cheryl, we're going to need more info -- how about first names and approximate birth years -- or approximate year of arrival into the USA.

      I searched Ellis Island and found over 100 hits for Galata and Margita -- there was one hit for Morgita from what looked like an Italian location.

      Anyhow, if you have first names or more about their birth or arrival we might have more luck.

      Caye

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 2 8:47 AM
        Steve Margita 1894-1940 born ?? US or Hungary born?
        Helen Galata 1894-12/11/1942 US or Czech born?

        Mother of Steve
        Mary Margita 1874-1938
        8/22/38 Margita
        John 1870-1929

        Not sure what the last 2 lines mean but this is what I was handed. No one
        seems to know anything else.....
        My aunts would never give me info. Now 1 is dead other is who knows where
        in her parnoia I guess. My fathers other sister died young 24 I think and
        his brother Steve 8/261916 -10/14/88
        I have no dates as to the aunts birth or death dates ...names are Margaret
        & Irene no middle names do I know and do not know younger sisters name.

        I may not have enough info to even mess with.

        Cheryl Schmidt
        living in Augusta, GA
        All kids from previous marriage grown & gone same with husband Cliff
        married 19 yrs
        retired LPN 24 yrs, retired Yorkie breeder 36 yrs over yrs I worked on a
        tobacco farm, babysat as an adult, waitressed, taught crochet, taught cake
        decorating, made & sold various crafts
        Girl scout leader for over 30 yrs, Cub Scout den Mother & Webeloes leader
        and Assistant Boy Scout Leader for many yrs....

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 2 8:54 AM

            OK, let me try some other searches -- another question -- where did these relatives live in the USA?  Where are they buried?  What religion did they practice -- if you know.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2 9:36 AM
              Found on footnote.com,
              STEVE . B. march 11 1893 KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK
              and says he arrived in USA 1905. Petition for Naturalization. wife Hellen b.
              Feb 22 1897 Duquesne, Pa. USA
              Children Hellen B. march 11 1917, Steve b. Aug 26 1919 and Margaret
              b.Sept 15 1922.
              all born in P.O. BOX 384 , DUQUESNE PA.

            • Marilyn Hertenstein
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2 9:44 AM
                There is information on this family on Ancestry.com.

                If your Morgitas lived in Miffin, Allegheny County, PA, the in 1930 the were listed as:
                Steve Margita
                Wife, Helen
                Children Helen, Steve Jr., Margaret and John E.
                Steve and Helen Margita were both 36 in 1930, making them born about 1894. They were married when they were 21 or in 1915. Steve was born in Czechoslovakia and Helen was born in Pennsylvania, but her parents were born in Czechoslovakia. Steve was naturalized.
                Steve stated he immigrated in 1920 (but the year of his marriage was 1915, so there needs to be more investigation. Maybe he came over earlier as a juvenile. It is interesting to note that a Mary Morgita (born in Hungary) lived next door. Mary was a widow with children Helen, Joseph, Frank and William living with her. She said she immigrated in 1899 and was listed as an AL, or alien.

                For both census entries of these two Morgita families, they both spoke Magyar.

                In the 1920 census, Steve Morgita said he immigrated in 1905, was an AL (alien) and even though Helen was listed as being born in Pennsylvania, she too had an AL by her name. Curious.

                On a World War I Draft card for Steve Morgita, it states he was born Nov. 4, 1894, in Austria Hungary, was naturalized and worked for Carnegie Steel.

                You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact village and port of entry.
                Hope this helps,
                Marilyn

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2 10:00 AM
                  Also on natururalization paper states wittness John Galata and John Bibza ?
                  It looks like sworn 1924
                  good luck!
                  Jennifer

                • cheryl1249@aol.com

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2 10:10 AM
                      OK, let me try some other searches -- another question -- where did these
                      relatives live in the USA? Where are they buried? What religion did they
                      practice -- if you know.

                      They lived in Duquesne,
                      Alleganey county PA

                      They are both buried in Duquesne

                      They were catholic.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 2 11:05 AM
                          Hi,
                          I don't know what highlight area you have in question?
                          If you are asking about Footnote.com ? This is a pay for membership web
                          site. not too bad a price to join.
                          also has some free things too.

                        • Janet Kozlay
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 2 2:44 PM
                            Whoopedo! According to this, his petition for naturalization says he was
                            born in Kiralyhelmec (spelling a bit mangled in the transcription). This is
                            the Hungarian name of the town of Kralovsky Chlmec, just north of the
                            Hungarian border in eastern Slovakia.

                            This is precisely the information you need to research the family.
                            Microfilms of Roman Catholic (and Reformed) church records for this town are
                            available for you to order and read at your nearest LDS Family History
                            Center.

                            Footnote.com does seem to have access to a lot of good stuff not available
                            on Ancestry.com.

                            The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you will
                            be visiting.

                            Janet

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 2 3:42 PM
                              You are going to have to send for his naturalization papers to find exact
                              village and port of entry.
                              Hope this helps,
                              Marilyn

                              How do I do this?
                              Cheryl
                              PS why would one place say born in Czech and other Hungary?

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 2 3:44 PM
                                KIRAJ KELMEZ AUSTRIA HUNG ARY CZECHECO SLOVAK

                                This is what I highlighted.

                                I understand Austria is a birthplace what are the other words? Does anyone
                                know?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 3 4:02 AM
                                  Cheryl,

                                  For some reason my response that I sent on the 2nd was never published, so
                                  here is a second attempt:

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 3 1:53 PM
                                    The bad news is that this area will not be near any of the capitals you
                                    will
                                    be visiting.

                                    Thank you anyway for this info. I appreciate it so much.
                                    Cheryl
                                    steps!
                                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
                                    JulystepsfooterNO62)